Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 10, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #11,611 of 12,596
This part ''This was based on amp and EQ combined. Cayin C5 amp on high gain at full volume. EQ floored beyond 30 and 60Hz sliders which are almost max which is a deviation of about 12dB'' Must be mandatory included in the top of the top list and highlighted with red caps. Otherwise that list is missliding and confuses the hell out of a lot of fellow bassheads who take that list as a guidance without going through many pages and later face disappointment plus financial loss. Many people don't realise about the required power and call this list bogus on other threads.

Fellow bassheads?
That term is from Car Audio (I am from there) and it requires amplification.In this hobby it's a market gimmick

Anyone who doesn't know it requires power to get an inordinate amount of low frequency sound isn't a basshead or even very smart
I could not possibly give 2 shi what those folks say in other threads.

May 10, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #11,612 of 12,596
Fellow bassheads?
That term is from Car Audio (I am from there) and it requires amplification.In this hobby it's a market gimmick

Anyone who doesn't know it requires power to get an inordinate amount of low frequency sound isn't a basshead or even very smart
I could not possibly give 2 shi what those folks say in other threads.

Everyone is aware of amp. benefits but there are more convenient and smaller amps out there easier to carry around which simply are not capable by far to deliver the same amount of power like Cayin C5 on max.
Common, we're talking about 800mw@32omh vs in the best case scenario 100-200mw@32omh .
If so, are those iems in the list still competitive to the new others on the market which possibly can perform better with lower power ?

May 18, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #11,613 of 12,596
Everyone is aware of amp. benefits but there are more convenient and smaller amps out there easier to carry around which simply are not capable by far to deliver the same amount of power like Cayin C5 on max.
Common, we're talking about 800mw@32omh vs in the best case scenario 100-200mw@32omh .
If so, are those iems in the list still competitive to the new others on the market which possibly can perform better with lower power ?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/purging-hd-660-s-he560-wh-1000xm2-flares-pro-free-stuff-too.902780/

Enter the Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo. It’s bass boost is phenomenal and I just happen to have one on sale.

May 18, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #11,614 of 12,596
Surprised Nobody here is talking about the EP10's I posted about awhile back. At $10 its something everybody here should just probably try. Without amp they are serious basshead with insanely good mids. Treble is a bit spiky but still rather detailed and clean. its definitely the biggest fault but $10. What is there to complain about? With amp they blur my vision to the point of blindness and if I am not holding them into my ears they vibrate out.
IMG_20190518_081051.jpg

Anyway. Just got these. In the top ten for sure. 16mm driver with titanium tube. I know I am like 4 years late to the party here, but they were on clearance for $36. Could not pass them up for that price. I have plans to mod these with a new cable. Just about the same design as the EP10.
1558137970956.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #11,615 of 12,596
May 19, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #11,617 of 12,596
Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #11,618 of 12,596
May 29, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #11,623 of 12,596
I recently purchased sony mdr-7550. From 1st page it is listed as numero uno basshead iem. However, listening to it Im not really getting the amount of bass I crave for. Can anyone share how to make this iem spit basshead level bass? I tried sealing the vent with regular tape, bass adds abit but not much. Tried amping with topping nx4dsd, still not reaching basshead satisfaction. Any ideas?
I have hidisz ap200 dap, but never bottered with eq-ing. Should I start boosting the lows through eq? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

May 29, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #11,624 of 12,596
I recently purchased sony mdr-7550. From 1st page it is listed as numero uno basshead iem. However, listening to it Im not really getting the amount of bass I crave for. Can anyone share how to make this iem spit basshead level bass? I tried sealing the vent with regular tape, bass adds abit but not much. Tried amping with topping nx4dsd, still not reaching basshead satisfaction. Any ideas?
I have hidisz ap200 dap, but never bottered with eq-ing. Should I start boosting the lows through eq? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Not one of the list makers (and only ex1000 user not 7550/800st, which definitely needs EQ) but I think except for the "No EQ/AMP" list most of those are using EQ and an amp to get basshead levels.

Suggest doing thread search for more detailed experiences/recommendations w/ the tape mod than the lists have (wrong vent maybe? I also remember poking a hole in tape when I tried it w/ ex1000 though it decreases boost effect) - you can see on the last graph here how taping the vent should significantly alter the bass http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/11/sony-mdr-7550.html

Another possibility is that you aren't getting a good eartip seal, some people have trouble with this old "ear hanger" style of sony IEM (If you purchased a used set could be front nozzle filter is clogged or something).

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #11,625 of 12,596
Not one of the list makers (and only ex1000 user not 7550/800st, which definitely needs EQ) but I think except for the "No EQ/AMP" list most of those are using EQ and an amp to get basshead levels.

Suggest doing thread search for more detailed experiences/recommendations w/ the tape mod than the lists have (wrong vent maybe? I also remember poking a hole in tape when I tried it w/ ex1000 though it decreases boost effect) - you can see on the last graph here how taping the vent should significantly alter the bass http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/11/sony-mdr-7550.html

Another possibility is that you aren't getting a good eartip seal, some people have trouble with this old "ear hanger" style of sony IEM (If you purchased a used set

Another possibility is that you aren't getting a good eartip seal, some people have trouble with this old "ear hanger" style of sony IEM (If you purchased a used set could be front nozzle filter is clogged or something).

Thank you @Raketen for your response. Don't know how I could have taped the wrong vent. As there is only 1 in the housing. I bought the unit secondhand, yes. But it can be considered new cause after checking thoroughly no chips/cracks i mean its in pristine condition, no earwax, even the 3.5mmplug do not have signs of wear at all. The previous owner was kind of a collector which seldom uses the 7550, hence he sold it. Anyway, i did tiprolled with sony hybrids included, aurisonics suretips, some complyfoams and figured i already had best seal that could be attained considering 7550's openess.
Any suggestions are welcomed to guide me reaching 7550's optimum potential for basshead level bass. I live in jakarta, indonesia. So, fellow regional enthusiast are very much welcomed for their input. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back