Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #11,087 of 12,590
I also think that the iSine products and the LCD-i4 are worth mentioning in this thread. I bought all my gear from the basshead threads and currently have: se846, sony z5, asg 2.5, 7550, xb90, Z1R and SZ2000 and drive all of them with my headstage arrow 5TX with enhanced bass boost, an iFi iCan Micro SE and an iPhone 6+.
All I can say is that the iSine20 and LCD-i4 rumble! The only thing I don't like is the isolation. The soundstage is the best I've heard so far. Those 30 mm drivers take power (3000mW) and eq like a champ, in fact, the iCan Micro SE drives them better than the arrow 5TX, and basically push them like I push the SZ 2000 (max gain, max bass boost on the amp + more eq with Neutron to raise the bass). Are they basshead ieh? I will let more experienced basshead members decide, but they definitely have the amount of subbass and midbass to satisfy me.

I haven't tried the 20s or i4 but the 10s are NOT, i repeat, NOT basshead. The low end looses all composure and becomes a farting contest between the basses when pushed to hard. happens pretty quickly too. This is all done with no hardware boost and using neutron. I love the set for its stage, separation, and clarity, but basshead it is not.

I might get the 20s to try, and unless a set of i4 falls on my lap, don't think i'll ever try those. Not gonna fork out that much money for a set or rec something that expensive.

Maybe @snellemin can chime in on the 20s.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #11,088 of 12,590
I haven't tried the 20s or i4 but the 10s are NOT, i repeat, NOT basshead. The low end looses all composure and becomes a farting contest between the basses when pushed to hard. happens pretty quickly too. This is all done with no hardware boost and using neutron. I love the set for its stage, separation, and clarity, but basshead it is not.

I might get the 20s to try, and unless a set of i4 falls on my lap, don't think i'll ever try those. Not gonna fork out that much money for a set or rec something that expensive.

Maybe @snellemin can chime in on the 20s.

The 20's have planar subbass and takes a bit of brain adjustment. This is after you get a proper seal and EQ.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #11,089 of 12,590
The 20's have planar subbass and takes a bit of brain adjustment. This is after you get a proper seal and EQ.

I totally agree with you. Planars are different beasts and for me personally it took some time to start like them and eventually they found right place in my small collection.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #11,091 of 12,590
Has anyone heard the Oriveti Basic... read couple reviews which suggest it has a great sub bass led sound with plenty of power behind it?

Not a frequent poster here but definitely a basshead so wanted to pipe in. I bought the Oriveti Basic months ago and love them. They are quality aluminum shells, very comfortable shells, removable cables over the ear and have good thump and can take even more EQ. I bought them when I heard they released a single DD IEM (since I'd wanted to try the Primacy). Definitely a basshead contender and great all around set that I'd expect to pay more for. And I don't think I've tried taping vents which no doubt would make these little gems even better. Using my all time favorite spiral dot tips as well.

Certainly worth a try, IMO. I decided to give them a go before buying the XB90s-- hopefully soon I can compare the 2.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #11,092 of 12,590
picked up a demo Vorzuge Voramp Duo form Moon Audio at a great price and it was the best decision I ever made. No wonder Headphonics stated it was the best portable amp for pure enjoyable tonality. It's that good. And the bass boost...next level. I'm selling my other amps.

VorzAMP_duo_eqduo.png

Look at that graph. 12-15 dbs of bass.

IMG_1749.JPG

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #11,096 of 12,590
Hi, I have a question regarding the sony in ears. I am thinking of buying the mdr 7550, but apparently there's also the xb90ex that is being loved by many. I have a cayin c5 amp and a cayin n5 player (which I will review soon) and am wondering if the taped sony mdr 7550 will be able to output subbass levels of the sony xb90ex. I understand that it needs power to do so, but will this power require me to blow out my eardrums? If so, I would prefer to buy the other sony if that is the case. I listen to music at less than 90db. I'd appreciate it if anyone with experience regarding sony in ears to chime in.

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #11,097 of 12,590
Hi, I have a question regarding the sony in ears. I am thinking of buying the mdr 7550, but apparently there's also the xb90ex that is being loved by many. I have a cayin c5 amp and a cayin n5 player (which I will review soon) and am wondering if the taped sony mdr 7550 will be able to output subbass levels of the sony xb90ex. I understand that it needs power to do so, but will this power require me to blow out my eardrums? If so, I would prefer to buy the other sony if that is the case. I listen to music at less than 90db. I'd appreciate it if anyone with experience regarding sony in ears to chime in.
Just my opinion but the XB 90 pails in comparison in overall sound quality. I use the 7550 out of an Opus 1 and finding it very pleasing. I am waiting on Mdr ex 1000 coming from Japan because I enjoy the 7550 so much. On a side note @Hawaiibadboy do you still find the Ex-1000 as special now that you are trying out some 64 audio products?

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #11,098 of 12,590
Just my opinion but the XB 90 pails in comparison in overall sound quality. I use the 7550 out of an Opus 1 and finding it very pleasing. I am waiting on Mdr ex 1000 coming from Japan because I enjoy the 7550 so much. On a side note @Hawaiibadboy do you still find the Ex-1000 as special now that you are trying out some 64 audio products?

I find it more special after comparing. I still think it is the finest IEM ever made. Cable, fit,mmmmm, no, sound though, amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back