Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jun 26, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #11,041 of 12,592
Hey, just got Peterek email around delay etc. All good just itching for new 7550 cable

He has always been solid.

I worried he had a car crash or was in hospital. We are all good now.

bought 2 x pairs of xb90ex a while ago, thought was a bit of expense but might have a great idea!

I bought mine and did a vid while I had my first set of ASG 2.5.
I was amping everything to the gills and the xb90ex took it like a champ and sounded better than 2.5 in width and mids. Bass was pretty close. They cost me 1/8 the cost of 2.5 here in Japan. My xb90 are custom

IMGP6169.JPG

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #11,042 of 12,592
He has always been solid.

I worried he had a car crash or was in hospital. We are all good now.

I bought mine and did a vid while I had my first set of ASG 2.5.
I was amping everything to the gills and the xb90ex took it like a champ and sounded better than 2.5 in width and mids. Bass was pretty close. They cost me 1/8 the cost of 2.5 here in Japan. My xb90 are custom

Those are balanced right? Did The new cable give a dramatic improvement in sound?

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #11,043 of 12,592
Those are balanced right? Did The new cable give a dramatic improvement in sound?

No, SE.
It was done as a service since i had given them to him alongside another deal. He returned them like this. I like cables for quality and hand craftsmanship. Not really a cable= sonics guy myself. All my gear is custom cable but that is for my happiness and lack of interesting IEM/Over ears on the market now. Money gotta go somewhere

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #11,044 of 12,592
Jun 27, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #11,045 of 12,592
Hey @GaNi - i have found the Moxpad X90's are going pretty well for bass for me. Have good not excellent sub-bass & for $15US via gearbest recently, a value point you cant argue with. Note that I do have to push the volume pretty much flat out on my S7 Edge however using Neutron player with HBB settings gets a big smile while in the gym from me.
Listen to mainly metal, Trance, rap, etc. For the $$, cant go too wrong with giving them a try. I have had 2 pairs not work - probably due to gym work in summer in Australia - but keep buying them again at that price.

After seeing the Elecom's wired ca3580 listed, I went ahead gave it's bluetooth HPC40 a shot. They just came in and I fired up PowerAmp/Soundcloud (mod w/ viperFX). Damn these are bassy and loud(compared w/ powerbeats3)! The connection is a lot more consistent, no drop outs nor any jitter. Sound signature is warm, lows are thumping, mids and highs are fine( V curve eq).

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #11,046 of 12,592
My xb90ex arrived and I'm listening to them now. I'm going to compare them with my radius NHR31 (on balanced cables) and my NHR21. I'm using my LG V10 on my mojo, so no bass boost. I'll do the same comparison tomorrow with my Sony ZX2 on my iDSD black label and bass boost.

Quick impressions, the Sony is clearer than I thought it would be. Bass seems tighter than the radius NHR21. Soundstage is nice too.

I also have my NHR21 back. Boy, it's been a while. I can't believe how much more mids the NHR31 have with the fiio balanced cable. I use balanced 2.5 to stereo 3.5 adapter, and it still has much more clarity and control even in the bass. The NHR21 are very U shaped with recessed mids with very small soundstage. The NHR31, with the fiio cable has the mids up front believe it or not and the soundstage opens up dramatically.

Now to the xb90ex. Sound sig is between the two radius. It has more soundstage than the NHR21 but less mids and soundstage than the NHR31 with fiio cable. The bass on the NHR21 sounds boomier than the Sony but in a fun way. The Sony is more controlled and hits harder but doesn't sound as boomy, like it's not topped out. The NHR21 sounds like an earphone with a smiley face eq applied. It sounds topped out with bass from the start. To me, the bass sounds deeper on the NHR21 compared to the Sony, deep but not as tight, like a 12 car subwoofer compared to a 10. The NHR31's bass is more controlled but the mids come up so much that the earphone becomes more balanced overall. It definitely sounds more audiophile than the NHR21. The soundstage is bigger even than the sony's. The sony's are very good, I'm betting I won't reach their true potential until I start applying eq to them. I already know the NHR21 doesn't need eq and can't handle much. The re-cabled NHR31 can handle more eq since the bass is more controlled.

At this time I no longer recommend the radius NHR21 but instead recommend the NHR31. They sound the same on stock cable, but recabled, the sound so much better. If you can get them at a good price, even with the $30 fiio balanced cable, they sound much better.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #11,047 of 12,592
I bought mine slightly used on Amazon Japan. Everywhere else they were over $150 used, over $180 new. I've never heard them. I've heard of them and their rep but didn't want to pay much for them. I found the cheapest used pair on Amazon Japan.

So Pretty much get them now until there's only 2 left in the world going for $4000 lol.
I need to get them now before they start to reach the 200 mark.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #11,048 of 12,592
I see the Dacamp L1 is on Massdrop for $399. It came down a lot from its initial $550. I don't think it's been a big seller. I'd have thought it would be popular here for it's bass boost. The Vorzuge VorzAMPduo (I and II) are some other basshead amps that aren't talked about much here. It is $800, so I'm sure that's a factor. I was looking to get one of those recently but couldn't justify the expense just for bass, but believe me, if it dropped to around the $500 mark I would jump right on it. I already had the iDSD and when I read that the black label was warmer and it's bass boost was more boosted, I jumped on a amazon wharehouse deal for $460 and haven't looked back. I am very happy with it but still wonder, how the Dacamp L1 compares. Now let's see Massdrop get the Vorzamp Duo II.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #11,052 of 12,592
I just realized JVC has updated their budget basshead XX IEM series for 2017, so I picked up a pair, HA-FX103M.

I had both iterations before this, the HA-FX101 and the HA-FX102. HA-FX101 was V shaped and some may call it sibilant, and HA-FX102 added more bass and toned down the treble.

doing a quick listen just now on the HA-FX103M and I must say bass quality improved over the 102 (though 103M driver is smaller than 102 driver, 8.5mm vs 11mm), bass quantity maybe increased a tiny bit, and 103M treble striked a good balance between the 101 and the 102. Switching between 103M and 102, makes 102 sounding to have a "veil" now.

for less than $15 from on-line retailers, this is definitely worth a try

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #11,054 of 12,592
Couple off budget IEms that provide good bass

AudioSense AS20 - This little baby has tremendous quality bass at it's price of £30-35. It has great resolution, goes deep and has no boominess and it doesn't cloud the rest of the sound which is nicely balanced and ever so slightly smooth with relaxed but decently detailed treble. It's actually one of my favourite IEMs, more so than a lot of others like Dunu Titan 1, RHA M750, 1more Triple Driver.... and more. just a relaxed, great soundstage, deep bass, fun sound. Once you get a good seal that is.

Pump Audio Boom - £30 - I've saw Pump Audio IEMs on Amazon Uk for a while now and decided to try out the Boom as it was the newest budget model, basically the V3 of the original Pump Audio set. At first I wasn't blown away, the bass is very deep and very fun to listen to, but i felt the mids were a bit too recessed and treble a little peaky (although crisp and sparkly, with no fatigue). But I gave it a cople days listen with various grenres and actually started to enjoy it for it's sheer fun factor. The company designed it for EDM but with enough balance in there to be enjoyed with other music. I think at first i wasn't blown away as i was used to the accuracy of the AudioSense AS20, in fact, the AS20 is just more accurate all round. But as my ears grew accustomed to it I started enjoying it more and more. It does have enough detail in the mids and highs to let you appreciate your music, but the bass is certainly the start of the show and sub bass and mid bass is great. It's very V Shaped, but most sets i have that are close to basshead level are. For £30 you get a lovely looking earphone, with a no frills packaging. It fits well although they only give two sizes of silicon tips... I never liked them and got a much better fit and seal from some small Dunu Titan 1' tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back