Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Apr 13, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #10,786 of 12,596
Picked up the Sony MDR EX800ST.
Disappointed and confused.
Apply EQ, start thinking about selling immediately.
Remember about taping the vents.
We're cool.

LOL

There is a graph done by Rin choi (?) Think that's his name. vent block only raises sub bass. mids stay pretty much the same as pre-tape. Treble same as well.

Love my set. If you sell you are welcome to link the sale thread to here if the rules allow as someone will likely pick them up off you.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #10,787 of 12,596
If you had $350 or £350 to spend on a pair of bass orientated IEMs for the likes of electonic music derived varieties, genres and sub genres, what would you buy and why?

I also am looking at the Rose Cappuccino MKII but am unsure, although they are meant to be extremely good for the types of music that involve bass...

Please help!

Cheers

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #10,788 of 12,596
Wow, what a great thread. You guys are full of useful info. Quick question, do you know of any IEMs that would have comparable bass to the Sony XB90EX that have playback controls on the wire? Preferably under $150 but whatever. These XB90EX look just like what I want for working out but kinda sucks to have to pull a brick of phone and amp out of pocket to pause or skip track during workout.

You guys are awesome, thanks!

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #10,791 of 12,596
The 'ti' one seems to be the aggressive V-shaped basshead one based on description/FR
http://www.periodicaudio.com/Ti.html

I like the rich tonality description on the 'mg' though.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #10,792 of 12,596
  The 'ti' one seems to be the aggressive V-shaped basshead one based on description/FR
http://www.periodicaudio.com/Ti.html

I like the rich tonality description on the 'mg' though.

This company definitely did a lot of PR.. Theres tons of 'Ad's' from many places including inner fidelity posted like its news... But not so many actual reviews.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #10,793 of 12,596

This company definitely did a lot of PR.. Theres tons of 'Ad's' from many places including inner fidelity posted like its news... But not so many actual reviews.

Well they got this info

Melting Point              1941 Kelvin Speed of Sound          5090 meters per second

Young's Modulus        116 Gigapascals

Brinell Hardness         2770 Megapascals

God bless em'... but I just wanna know the driver size
redface.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #10,794 of 12,596
It's 10mm, from the FAQ page.. Other interesting rationale to read:wink:
"Choosing the right size of a transducer is more art than science. In general, a larger size diaphragm provides more potential output and lower distortion. However, large diaphragms often suffer from reduced high frequency output and diaphragm resonance/breakup - leading to poor spectral decay performance.

An in-ear product also provides it's own limits on what would be a reasonably sized diaphragm. Units bigger than about 13mm are too large to fit in most ears, unless the transducer is completely outside the ear, like on-ear/over-ear (supra or circum aural) headphones.

Many IEMs are made with small diaphragms, in an attempt to get the transducer as close as possible to the eardrum. It is believed that being closer to the eardrum will result in a more pure sound. However that often means using a diaphragm less than 7mm in diameter. Since the area of a circle is proportional to its radius (and thus its diameter), a 7mm transducer will have half the area of a 10mm transducer. And that means, all else being equal, double the distortion and 3 dB less peak SPL.

We settled on 10mm as the best tradeoff between distortion, SPL, extension and resonance/breakup resistance. Using literally decades of experience in the design and production of small transducers, we evaluated fully-refined designs at a multiple of sizes, but in the end our measurements and listening panel tests told us the best overall performance was reached with 10mm."

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #10,795 of 12,596
It's 10mm, from the FAQ page.. Other interesting rationale to read:wink:
"Choosing the right size of a transducer is more art than science. In general, a larger size diaphragm provides more potential output and lower distortion. However, large diaphragms often suffer from reduced high frequency output and diaphragm resonance/breakup - leading to poor spectral decay performance.

An in-ear product also provides it's own limits on what would be a reasonably sized diaphragm. Units bigger than about 13mm are too large to fit in most ears, unless the transducer is completely outside the ear, like on-ear/over-ear (supra or circum aural) headphones.

Many IEMs are made with small diaphragms, in an attempt to get the transducer as close as possible to the eardrum. It is believed that being closer to the eardrum will result in a more pure sound. However that often means using a diaphragm less than 7mm in diameter. Since the area of a circle is proportional to its radius (and thus its diameter), a 7mm transducer will have half the area of a 10mm transducer. And that means, all else being equal, double the distortion and 3 dB less peak SPL.

We settled on 10mm as the best tradeoff between distortion, SPL, extension and resonance/breakup resistance. Using literally decades of experience in the design and production of small transducers, we evaluated fully-refined designs at a multiple of sizes, but in the end our measurements and listening panel tests told us the best overall performance was reached with 10mm."

​Man, that went from not knowing to the full disclosure in like minutes. Thanks
beerchug.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #10,797 of 12,596
Cool interesting post

I thought so, it's always good when a manufacturer makes the effort to explain their design and technology. No idea if there is basshead potential hidden in that IEM though, the charts don't show much chance of it being so.

On another note, related to driver size and potential, and having had the opportunity to listen to a few IEMs on the list, I would like to add something for consideration and hope if anyone gets the chance to hear one they can confirm basshead potential :wink:..
I'm a huge Sony fan, and have now tried most of the best products. And my choice is the XBA N3. What Sony have managed to do with a 9mm LCP driver, coupled with their "space control" system is in my view quite special. The brief as explained by the designers was to equal or exceed the bass from their 16mm driver using only a 9mm with a sounding chamber..I think they succeeded. The bass on these very compact but terrific sounding IEMs is by far the best I've heard, edging out the z5 in direct comparison.
Purely IMHO, no hype, just tested listener experience, but if you get a chance to hear them I doubt that you'd be disappointed. :)

Edit: added why this reminded me of those :wink:

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #10,799 of 12,596
  At least 2 of us have. I think they are bassy not quite basshead unless pushed. With amping they start to punch but are softer on attack and impact with weaker sources. Good phones with a nice midrange and a good amount of treble to go with the bass. Stage and bass will bloom with good clean power.

Drbluenewmexico said..."If you want the GB1000 to really sing you need to give them LOTS of POWER, and then they do become a Grand Bass Monster! but we are talking using a RSA Emmeline SR71 amp out a Calyx M to give them thick textures and bass authority without midrange bleed and treble harshness. Then, they approach ASG 2.0 glory at 1/6 the price."

I've decided to put my pair up for sale since I am not going to use them much. Check my sig if anyone wants to try :)

@talan7 & @lelutas , care to share you findings with the rest of the class?? Heard some Denons and keeping it to yourselves
popcorn.gif

Hey there,

not trying to keep the impressions to myself, just wanted to ask what anybody wanted to know about the Denons.
In general I found them quite warm sounding with a tendency to be harsh with a brighter recordings. The bass is definitely amplified and bleeding in to lower mids. Mids are not reduced much and sound warm and musical to me. Highs sound separated from everything else- not natural at all. If any body have any questions, I'll be happy to reply.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #10,800 of 12,596
I have a pair of SZ2000's along with a schiit magni 2 uber amp. I see videos upon videos of these headphones bass slamming 10 times harder but I'm just SO PARANOID about blowing these bitches. Anyone here know how much power I could put to these SZ2000's without needing to worry about blowing them? I have temptations to just turn the amp up full blast but my love for these headphones have stopped me from doing so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back