Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Aug 4, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #8,641 of 12,592
  Can anyone explain why the EX800ST has the best bass with the vent taped, but the ASG2.5 has the best bass with bass port wide open?

Because without tape or something covering the vents you will not get much bass at all. You will get linear bass that extends low. Tape just gives it a lot more quantity.

This is what tape does to EX800ST/7550 from http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/sony-mdr-7550.html

As for 2.5 I think anything more than 1/3 or 1/4 open will not result in more bass, only more mud and ruined mids. Fully open doesn't hit any harder than 1/4, you just get bad sound IMO. I love both IEM's.

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #8,642 of 12,592
  what funny is that I was a fan of the asg line since the introduction of the asg2, but the 2.0 and the 2.5 never got the following like it does now till this thread came along.  Now its hyped up and the prices inflated.

Yeah - I'm a late starter to the party. The harmony to me sound brilliant hence my late interest in Aurisonics. Would have been nice to buy some others to try but like you said inflated prices. Mind you I only purchased the Harmony as it was discounted by 40% but as it turns out was good buy for me. The Bravo range not as popular??

Who here has the apart from vapman has heard the 1.5??

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #8,643 of 12,592
  Because without tape or something covering the vents you will not get much bass at all. You will get linear bass that extends low. Tape just gives it a lot more quantity.

This is what tape does to EX800ST/7550 from http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/sony-mdr-7550.html

Well holy crap bro!
eek.gif

Long time no see btw!!

I always thought it has minimal to no damage to mids and highs as compared to stock config...and it's true.

+1 for the graph bro!!
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #8,645 of 12,592
  Has anyone here ever tried the Sony MDR-XB70AP ? Not much info about these and how they stack up to the Sony xb90s ?

No, but i have been asked many times so maybe I get a set and check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-opus-opus-11/reviews/16567

This is a new find un-reviewed item till now.

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #8,647 of 12,592
Hello.

Do you maybe have any recommendations for a 300-400€ price range IEM? I'm looking for a sound signature (as close as it gets for the available budget) described by the user Jozurr in the frist post of Electronic music fans - Headphones discussion thread (the discussion is about overear headphones) as I mainly listen to techno.

The sound signature I'm hunting for is similar to the set up above. Clean hard hitting bass with ample sub bass that does not drown out the mids ands highs. Bass slam is important. Highs need to be clean and non-sibilant, as a lof of electronic music tends to be poorly recorded, specially when it comes to treble, so piecry/shouty/sibilant highs are fatiguing and not enjoyable. The treble still  has to be energetic and present. Words like laid back, mellow, romantic don't apply. Basshead galores drowning out high hats don't apply. Sound stage does not need big enough to make me feel like Im too far from the speakers (looking at you HE-1000) and is secondary to the above traits. I think we can all agree to this signature, unless you have other ideas which I'd love to hear.

Basically I haven't had any headphones worth more than 30€. Ofcourse I'm also willing to invest in an AMP and in a DAC to drve them properly.

Thanks!

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #8,648 of 12,592
  Hello.

Do you maybe have any recommendations for a 300-400€ price range IEM? I'm looking for a sound signature (as close as it gets for the available budget) described by the user Jozurr in the frist post of Electronic music fans - Headphones discussion thread (the discussion is about overear headphones) as I mainly listen to techno.

Basically I haven't had any headphones worth more than 30€. Ofcourse I'm also willing to invest in an AMP and in a DAC to drve them properly.

Thanks!

try something for 90 euros, you will like it!

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #8,651 of 12,592
Which Sony IEM unit is closest to 7550/8000ST in SQ quality/quantity  if you cannot afford either of those ?

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #8,652 of 12,592
  Hello.

Thanks!

You can spends thousands and go through multiple iems and never find the perfect one.  But, you can get a good set and make it so its perfect for you.

No matter which set you get, if it does bass well, any music with bass in it will do good on it.

With that being said, you seem like a person that is willing to put in the work to get the best out of set.  Which means you will use eq or learn how to eq.

I will rec the sony 7550/800st and a fiio e18 for a dac/amp.

its a beast of a set that you can mold it and shape it to your liking.  Do a search on this thread on it and you will get an idea of its capabilities.

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #8,654 of 12,592

Users who are viewing this thread

Back