Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 27, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #8,583 of 12,596
  well, that kills my plans for the REF or KANNONS.  I don't like customs.

The same here. I already have one custom and that's enough for me, especially as the resale value is quite low (not that I want to sell them).

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #8,584 of 12,596
I do understand the rationale behind having a universal fit order for CIEMs, but I believe kumitate lab do have their reason for not wanting to do so as well. (likewise you don't see Ultimate Ears, Fitear, Justear and many others making universal model of their ciems lineup for customers as well)

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #8,585 of 12,596
  I do understand the rationale behind having a universal fit order for CIEMs, but I believe kumitate lab do have their reason for not wanting to do so as well. (likewise you don't see Ultimate Ears, Fitear, Justear and many others making universal model of their ciems lineup for customers as well)

Yes, most likely they can fit more into a custom shell. Sometimes custom differs soundwise in comparison to universal - this was the case with UM Merlin, when people checking out the universal version were pretty disappointed.

But it doesn't mean, that if they wanted, they could do a great universal version. For me there's just to much risk - what if I don't like the sound? UM Merlin was one time jump into the CIEM world (yes, hype) and luckily I like them very much (but it wasn't the case in the beginning).

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #8,587 of 12,596
I've never done custom. Funny story. My first venture into high end IEMS, Heir Audio 8.a. I ordered the custom. Paid for it. They waiting about 6 months for my impressions. I never went. Finally I contacted them and asked if I could do universals because I wasn't going for my impressions.

So, I don't trust myself to get customs.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #8,588 of 12,596
I did make customs before but I just didn't like the acrylic feel. It just felt so hard and uncomfortable lol.

Maybe the new soft silicone ones might be better but like others have said, I would prefer universals.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8,589 of 12,596
  I did make customs before but I just didn't like the acrylic feel. It just felt so hard and uncomfortable lol.

Maybe the new soft silicone ones might be better but like others have said, I would prefer universals.

Lol, I totally forgot that few years ago I had silicon CIEMs (reselled them with loss of 50%, therefore never again). They are a bit more comfortable, but not that much. And surprisingly it's harder to put them on, because acrylic just slides into your ear - the friction of silicon is a lot worse (you need to use a special lubricant).

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #8,591 of 12,596
I just finally started the process on some UM Mentor CIEMs. I got them here used with a DX90 as a bundle super cheap, otherwise I probably wouldn't own a CIEM. I'll be able to make all my money back off them if I ever decide to sell. I'm stoked about getting them back. 10 BA with 2 super highs, 2 highs, 2 mids, and 4 lows.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #8,592 of 12,596
Holler at my if you need some 7550/800st/ex1000 DIY connectors.

I bought 10 sets from Lunashops (lol) and don't need anywhere close to as many as I have.

edit: BOOO!!!!!! re: customs only.

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #8,595 of 12,596
DIY special offer for basshead IEM thread-going friends

I have a new job and don't get to work from home anymore. my free time is cut significantly so I do not have time to make cables for people. However I have made my own set and I can offer parts to do it yourself to up to 4 people.

The cost would be exactly the cost of parts + shipping to you, not a penny of profit will be made by me.

Parts included in the kit will be
  •  A pair of Lunashops DIY connectors ($18)
  • Up to 2 meters of Sommer Peacock MKII 24awg cable ($3.75 per meter)
  • Choice of Neutrik 3.5mm or 1/4" stereo connector ($6)
  • Shipping by usps (3.50 for first class, 6.50 for priority, int'l people ask for a quote)
  • Very detailed and specific instructions written by me on how to do it start to finish

I will edit this post when I am sold out of parts.

Great DIY starter kit, way simpler than you might imagine. Happy to help out newbies who have never DIY before.

If interested PM me, don't post here.
 ​
All 4 sets have been claimed, paid, and prepared for shipping as of this edit - thank you all for your interest, and happy DIY'ing
 ​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back