Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 3, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,171 of 12,595
Recently bought a used M-Audio IE20 XB which is same as UE Super.Fi 5 EB. To my ears, the bass is really huge and it punches hard. I think none my other Basshead IEMs like VBs, Wooduo2, Pioneers etc have the clarity of Super.Fi EB/IE20 XB, thanks to the dedicated BA driver. It's sad this IEM went out of production.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,173 of 12,595
hqssui - Yes back in 2006 that was a unique IEM and I too enjoyed it and I bought two if them (very inexpensive). But these days there are many and they are much better. More bass and more clearer and bigger sound stage. Aurisonics are similar but way better (ASG2.5). Sony XBA A3 is another. Both have a Dynamic Driver like the 5EB but alot bigger and better and both has two really good BA Drivers instead of one small one.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,174 of 12,595
@Luckbad

I owe an apology
redface.gif

It wasn't the 2.5's lack of bass that made me question it's output v.s. the xb90ex...it was the X5's limitations that held it back.
The xb90ex are still thunder clappers but the 2.5 are right there with them and they are tighter hitting. Very slammy but I needed the V4A to get full blast

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,175 of 12,595
Hi all!
I am used to my one and only TF10, I listen mostly to deep and dark dubstep and deep tech house. So Sub Bass is most important to me. Once I tried VSD1, I understood that I miss the slam and rumble of a dynamic driver, that armature drivers of my TF10 just can't produce.
So I'm looking for an TF10 upgrade, not loosing audio quality, clearness and soundstage of TF10. Just want to feel more Sub Bass.
For now my eyes are on the DUNU DN-1000.
Maybe someone of you - bass heads can give me advice?
Here's some of my all time favourite tracks:

Perverse - Shaitan
Dullatron - Revolution of the People
Lurka - Blank
Dj Madd - Kyoto Station
Biome - Inner Mind
Outerdub - Mayan
Congi - Raw Deal
....lots from Killawatt ; Kryptic Minds ; and so on.

I look forward to several of recommendations. But again - it has to be an TF10 upgrade.
Budget - 100 - 500$ max.
My Gear - Sflo:2 + Meier Corda 2Stepdance portable amp.
Thanks!

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,178 of 12,595
I'm absolutely loving the overall sound including the sweet and punchy bass in my Earsonics Velvet.  I have them half way in between 1 (tight) and 2 (balanced) setting and the bass is still pretty amazing.  The fit is a little uncomfortable at times though.  I'd love to know recommendations in CIEM that match the SQ and great bass response of these.  Doesn't have to be cheaper, just looking at the real CIEM equivalents.  I could get the Velvets reshelled to be a custom, but I'm not sure if that would degrade the SQ in them or not.  I've read good things about JH16, but not sure if the bass response is as good as the Velvet or not.

-Robert

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #1,179 of 12,595
I'm absolutely loving the overall sound including the sweet and punchy bass in my Earsonics Velvet.  I have them half way in between 1 (tight) and 2 (balanced) setting and the bass is still pretty amazing.  The fit is a little uncomfortable at times though.  I'd love to know recommendations in CIEM that match the SQ and great bass response of these.  Doesn't have to be cheaper, just looking at the real CIEM equivalents.  I could get the Velvets reshelled to be a custom, but I'm not sure if that would degrade the SQ in them or not.  I've read good things about JH16, but not sure if the bass response is as good as the Velvet or not.

-Robert

You should look at Alclair they have RSM and the crankmaster 5k I'm sure you would love one of those.

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,180 of 12,595
Do you guys think a $700 in - ear monitors Aurisonics ASG 2.5 sound better than a $200 headphone? It has to be right? But after trying out a few $200 headphone, and compare to my ASG 2.5, it doesnt make a big diff.
I kinda regret that I bought the ASG 2.5 :frowning2:  Any comments or anyone has both headphones and in-ear monitors?

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,181 of 12,595
  Do you guys think a $700 in - ear monitors Aurisonics ASG 2.5 sound better than a $200 headphone? It has to be right? But after trying out a few $200 headphone, and compare to my ASG 2.5, it doesnt make a big diff.
I kinda regret that I bought the ASG 2.5 :frowning2:  Any comments or anyone has both headphones and in-ear monitors?

My 2.5 are for bass/ISOLATION/and detail
My over ears are for a larger experience basswise with less detail due to less isolation.

IEM are great for portability but if you listen mostly indoors a set of over ear might deliver a more powerful presentation

Jul 5, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #1,183 of 12,595
  For Dubstep:

Hisoundaudio WOODUO 2 or Sony MDR-XB90EX ?

For fit, bass and stage I say xb90ex.

16mm v.s. 9mm   

Size is not an almighty spec but it's a good one
wink.gif
  it's almost double the wooduo

I only have limited experience with the wooduo but it didn't strike me as the bass monster some reviews claim.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,185 of 12,595
  I see, + it's Sony Japan - quality, I guess. Unfortunately Joker hasn't tried them yet.
Probably Sony wins here.

Although the @Joker partner, not a basshead really
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
 . Joking aside, I have both and I can say that although wooduo hit very well, do not compare to the capabilities of xb90ex to go down to hell. I can use high gain and apply a bass boost in my fiio X3 at sony without introducing distortion problems and a thunderous low sub.

Not regularly but I hear dubstep, drum & bass itself much, house and tech house (Dirtybird Players with a reputation for add hard hittting  bass to his musical pieces)

As stated @HBB, although the size of the driver is not an irrefutable law, in this case the difference is evident in the Sony without any discussion.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back