Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #1,202 of 12,594
  I'm debating whether I want to try ASG 2 or 2.5. Which one is better for the vocals?

I have the Z5 and I find the vocals tends to be drowned out when there are a lot of instruments going on, something I didnt get on my Velvets (if only if I can combine these two) and my JVC FX850.

I have only heard the 2.5, I think its unlikely for vocals to sound drowned out by anything- unless there is a very specific type of sound you are referring to, in which case I have no reference (in my mind I am thinking of my old DT770 which had slightly recessed sounding mids, I think due to 'v' shaped sig).

That was the main reason I didn't stick with them, because in certain types of noisy rock (well, namely noise rock, but also some Led Zep and stuff)  I like the highs to take over (splash? peak? idk) a bit, but with the 2.5 they are very controlled and I felt it favored the vocal regions a little- I couldn 't get it to sound quite right with my limited portable EQs. Other than that they have very good seperation/imaging and clarity imo.

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,203 of 12,594
@johnwamp55 Can you tell me the difference between XB90EX and XBA-A3? I'm asking particularly about the quality and quantity of bass without any eq, soundstage, instrument separation etc.

Regards,

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,204 of 12,594
  @johnwamp55 Can you tell me the difference between XB90EX and XBA-A3? I'm asking particularly about the quality and quantity of bass without any eq, soundstage, instrument separation etc.

Regards,

A3 is somewhat V shaped and can do everything well all stlyes of music. Bass on the A3 is excellent better than even the Roxanne or 846. 90ex is at first a bass canon a good bass canon and the bass hits a bit harder. The 90ex has 16 mm drivers similar to the A3 but the 90ex has no Balance armature Drivers as the A3 has so the bass is strong and after burn in the mids and treble are good but not as refine as the A3. A3 costs a lot more too and if your goal is bass and some other styles of music then the 90ex if you listen to bass and many styles of music the A3. I would say just get both. Sound stage on both are pretty good and a bit wider on the A3 but the 90ex sound stage once brned in and you tried some various tips can be wider than many higher priced IEMs.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #1,207 of 12,594
Velvets subbass is the best I have heard so far, beating A3s, EPH-100s, IE80s.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,208 of 12,594
well I already have 1 pair of xb90ex. I was looking for another pair, you know just as a backup, but got interested in the A3s for a while..

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,214 of 12,594
Can anyone compare the XB90 and TF10?
I am a bit afraid to pull the trigger on the XB90, after my one and only TF10.
I just want a second pair of a fun sounding IEMs for Dubstep and Deep Sub Bass dominating songs. (When I work out with my mountain bike)
I know I'll buy a pare of Etymotic for audiophile stuff, but that's another story.
So, the question is - wouldn't the overall sound quality of the XB90 reduce the ''WOW'' effect of it's dynamic bass, after many years listening to my armature based TF10?
P.s. - I was pretty amazed about VSD1s sound quality, considering, it's a dynamic based earphone. Mmm...the bass kick (slam?) of a dynamic driver...just loved it.
Thanks.

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,215 of 12,594
  Can anyone compare the XB90 and TF10?
I am a bit afraid to pull the trigger on the XB90, after my one and only TF10.
I just want a second pair of a fun sounding IEMs for Dubstep and Deep Sub Bass dominating songs. (When I work out with my mountain bike)
I know I'll buy a pare of Etymotic for audiophile stuff, but that's another story.
So, the question is - wouldn't the overall sound quality of the XB90 reduce the ''WOW'' effect of it's dynamic bass, after many years listening to my armature based TF10?
P.s. - I was pretty amazed about VSD1s sound quality, considering, it's a dynamic based earphone. Mmm...the bass kick (slam?) of a dynamic driver...just loved it.
Thanks.

They take a little bit to burn-in and aren't terribly refined out of the box, but they eventually open up and sound great. I have Noble 5s and still use my Sony XB90EX more than them because I listen to a lot of sub-bass-dominant music. The TF10 are certainly crisper and have better clarity, but it isn't night and day, and I find the TF10's to sound bass-anemic after hearing so many basshead earphones.

Your biggest risk isn't hating the Sony sound--especially for dubstep--but in ruining yourself for any purported "basshead" IEMs after you've lived with the Sonys for a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back