Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Nov 5, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #11,161 of 12,593
Found the fx33x on a couple listings on Aliexpress.
Are these by any chance real?

They look pretty genuine to me (Nicely polished metal casing, JVC Logo being of the correct color from reviews, fx33x written on the other side).
I know there are tons of fake fx3x on the market but a fake fx33x and of multiple color choices, i've never heard of.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FX3...7.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.263.k5ZzZM

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...5.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.277.k5ZzZM

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #11,162 of 12,593
Hey folks. Sorry for posting questions about both headphones and IEMs here but...

Just wondering if anyone has come across any basshead-oriented Bluetooth IEMs that are worthy? Now that I'm using a Pixel XL 2, it's either Bluetooth or the USB C dongle which admittedly I haven't yet tried. I also have a Cayin i5 which plays wonderfully with my normal analog wired basshead cans and IEMs.

I know Bluetooth causes loss in sound quality but with the Pixel XL 2, all the codecs are built in and can be used (including LDAC and aptX HD among the usual common codecs) and I can choose the bit and sample rates. I've been eyeing both the Sony 1000x M2 cans as well as the IEM option WH-1000x, along with the Senn HD1. A true wireless Bluetooth IEM with basshead qualities is what I'm after.

Just hoping someone out there has experienced a wireless option that has a great low end?! I keep looking for MMCX Bluetooth cable that would work with some of my favorite IEMs. I'd truly love to find a Bluetooth wireless option that can keep up with my favorite wired gear!

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #11,163 of 12,593
I cancelled the JVC order and bought a cheap pair of the Pioneer SE CX 9.I have 2 pairs of the Pioneer SE-CL 751 and thought there will not be a big difference but it is, totally imo.
Much more precise Bass and sound and much better fit and seal.
Seems like the balanced armature driver isn't that bad as a dynamic driver(crticised in some tests comparing the CX 8 with the CX 9).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #11,164 of 12,593
Hey folks. Sorry for posting questions about both headphones and IEMs here but...

Just wondering if anyone has come across any basshead-oriented Bluetooth IEMs that are worthy? Now that I'm using a Pixel XL 2, it's either Bluetooth or the USB C dongle which admittedly I haven't yet tried. I also have a Cayin i5 which plays wonderfully with my normal analog wired basshead cans and IEMs.

I know Bluetooth causes loss in sound quality but with the Pixel XL 2, all the codecs are built in and can be used (including LDAC and aptX HD among the usual common codecs) and I can choose the bit and sample rates. I've been eyeing both the Sony 1000x M2 cans as well as the IEM option WH-1000x, along with the Senn HD1. A true wireless Bluetooth IEM with basshead qualities is what I'm after.

Just hoping someone out there has experienced a wireless option that has a great low end?! I keep looking for MMCX Bluetooth cable that would work with some of my favorite IEMs. I'd truly love to find a Bluetooth wireless option that can keep up with my favorite wired gear!

I can tell that the sony's are not basshead. Don't know about the others

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #11,165 of 12,593
I just killed my left Sony EX800ST by overtightening the lock to compensate for a questionable re-solder of a custom cable (terrible connector design to solder). I was about to perform the miraculous surgery of converting them to MMXC connectors. I got a really good deal on these and now don't know where to go. My life just became bass-lite.

It's actually not that killed, potentially. I don't think anything internally was messed up, but the connector and some plastic pieces are done. If anyone is interested in this as a project, let me know.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #11,167 of 12,593
Sony needs a good kick in the nutz for the stupid connector. Destroyed an entire after market industry. Nobody wants to mess with these nightmares. I am lucky Peterek took care of me before he swore off doing these anymore...and he's a pro that pimps 2,3, $4,000. Sony was just too much hassle.

I was actually considering sending the connectors over to Zynsonix to see if they could make me a respectable cable. Oh wellllll. At least it's getting cold and over-ears are viable again. Lemme just add 8 inches of width to my head with these ZMFs and a pound to my pocket to properly amplify them.

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #11,168 of 12,593
I own both the Sony XB90EX and the woodie JVC FX850. They are very good IEM for subbass and bass, but soundstage feeling and resolution with lossless and DSD files are not very good. I recently bought the Pioneer SE CH9T and changed the stock tips with the JVC spiral dot eartips and they sound great! Wide soundstage, killer subbass and midnbass and good resolution. I prefer them over the XB90EX and the JVC Woodies, because they sound more natural and spacious with high resolution in highs and voices. Great discovery. Anyone has tested the Pioneer SE CH9T vs. other bassie IEMs? Thanks.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #11,169 of 12,593
I can tell that the sony's are not basshead. Don't know about the others

Thanks for the heads up. I've got the original wired MDR-1A which I actually really like for the warm sound and comfort. Bass is decent but not basshead levels. How would you compare the sound sig of 1000x to the 1A?

I think to ask for basshead levels of bass in a wireless headphone or IEM is probably asking too much- seems the aim of makers now is for the 'audiophiles' asking for analytical and neutral tuning.

As long as it's warm but well rounded I think I'd be happy with the well regarded BT IEMs and cans, but have to make use of the EQ! Maybe the Senn HD1 wireless is what I'm after. If they sound like the OG over ear Momentums.

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #11,170 of 12,593
I own both the Sony XB90EX and the woodie JVC FX850. They are very good IEM for subbass and bass, but soundstage feeling and resolution with lossless and DSD files are not very good. I recently bought the Pioneer SE CH9T and changed the stock tips with the JVC spiral dot eartips and they sound great! Wide soundstage, killer subbass and midnbass and good resolution. I prefer them over the XB90EX and the JVC Woodies, because they sound more natural and spacious with high resolution in highs and voices. Great discovery. Anyone has tested the Pioneer SE CH9T vs. other bassie IEMs? Thanks.
Very interesting and since I have both the 850 and the XB90EX - I followed your recommendation and ordered my first pioneer headphone.... looking forward hearing it in a week or two when it arrives....

Nov 12, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #11,171 of 12,593
I think to ask for basshead levels of bass in a wireless headphone or IEM is probably asking too much- seems the aim of makers now is for the 'audiophiles' asking for analytical and neutral tuning.
I am quite happy with my sony xb70bt, they have as much bass as the cord versions I have tried like xb50ap but sound better with more definition/clarity. They sound like a loud speaker without compromise for the first time to me(within my price range/preference of $100). I didn't use portable amps with corded earbuds but I doubt it would change the sound that much

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #11,173 of 12,593
Thanks for the heads up. I've got the original wired MDR-1A which I actually really like for the warm sound and comfort. Bass is decent but not basshead levels. How would you compare the sound sig of 1000x to the 1A?

As long as it's warm but well rounded I think I'd be happy with the well regarded BT IEMs and cans, but have to make use of the EQ! Maybe the Senn HD1 wireless is what I'm after. If they sound like the OG over ear Momentums.

The 1000x has the usual sony tuning and build quality is good, but its really mediocre in all other aspects. My testing were all done using the wired config.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #11,174 of 12,593
I think you should go for something from the JVC HAFX series again, i also had the fx3x and fx1x and tried a couple of other so called basshead IEM around 100--150$ nothing satisfied the basshead in me like the JVC.

I'm very intrigued by these JVC HA-FX99X's but so far I've read the first 350 pages of this thread, and haven't seen any discussion of them yet, nor do they appear on any of the lists on page 1. There's a claim in this thread that the FX99X blow the XB90EX's out of the water. I haven't found any in-depth reviews of the 99X from a basshead perspective yet. Also I'm curious do the 99X's need to be amped or can you get great bass straight out of the phone?

Also, after getting deeper into the thread, I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the Futuresonics G10. While $200 is steep for an IEM with non-removable cables and plastic housing, it seems to get rave reviews for sub-bass, which is what I'm after. While I have a FiioE12, I like the grab-and-go convenience of going unamped, and it's #1 on the "no amp/eq needed" list. it's a compact, lightweight design so it would be usable at the gym, in active situations, etc, unlike the Sony 7550. Is the G10 the king of sub-bass?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #11,175 of 12,593
Depending on what phone you have, an amp isn't needed for the 7550. something like of the Lg V series with its 2vrms is good enough to push the 7550. with just tape mod and average phone power, the 7550 are good.

I have never heard the g10 but 7550 digs deep and is very impactful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back