Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Nov 6, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #9,631 of 12,592
This new Fiio A5 amp looking great for basshead IEMs...

Muse 02 amp chip (bassier version chip of 2 models) + their bass boost button. Perfect.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #9,632 of 12,592
  I find it funny how you offer it up then people send you a PM and you don't even respond.  You could have at least replied to the PM even if you had no intention of offering it up to anyone other than the regulars in this thread.

You got some free laughs and a thread regular is gonna get free IEM's. Seems like a lot of giving by him.

If he only posted that offer in this thread I would assume that it was intended for the people in this thread. Threads are there own little communities. I have had folks offer me things directly and then never reply when the time came to fulfill the offer. I get your annoyance with lack of courtesy but It happens. I'm annoyed right now by another for not coming through but I will not question the member in open thread.

Don't worry be happy was the #1 jam...damn if i said it you slap me right here

Fight the Power

Public Enemy

biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #9,633 of 12,592
Post #1 of this thread is incorrect: 8

8. Kumitate Lab KL-KANON

# 1DD + 2BA like the ASG 2.5
+ More refined than ASG 2.5 overall, treble not rolled off as ASG 2.5
- Very expensive, hard to find, not quite as much bass as ASG 2.5

*I demo/toured this

The KL-KANON comes with either 4x BAs or 6x BAs (The "Switch Option")

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #9,634 of 12,592
Been a while since I've posted on this forum. But a while back I stumbled on this thread and learned about the Sony MDR EX800STE.

I'm really glad I found them, because they are still the best headphones I've ever owned. I can't believe how good the bass is with the vents taped. I even find myself using them more then my HD800s and LCD-3 (although that partly comes down to convenience). Obviously these cant do everything as good as those. But damn if these don't hit the sweet spot for me, and is exactly the sound sig that is totally what I want. Crazy to think that at their size and price, I found something like this.

But non stop praise aside, something weird I noticed is that after a couple months of use, I started having fitting issues I didn't orginally have. The gist of it is, the ear tips when pushed in too far or a certain way, will then cause a crackling noise (almost like static). I'm not jamming these in my ears either (don't worry).

I swapped through the tips provided until I could find the best fit for my ears. The current tip I'm using is small enough that it fits, but is slightly shy of the exact size for a perfect fit (so I can tell I'm losing a little bit of the bass slam when I use my fingers to press on the iems from the outside). The next tip up is too big, and doesn't fit in far enough (so the sound is distant).

So I'm kind of in a ****ty position where one tip fits 95% of the way, but the tips above it is barely too big. The sound is still great, and tbh I've gotten used to the current tips. I don't really have issues with fit anymore, although sometimes I'll put the IEM slightly wrong and get the crackle issues (but it takes a second just to pull it out and re-inserting it). It's almost like a suction thing (where the tips are folding).

All this to say, is there tips you guys would recommend for this? I know the stock cable isn't easily replaceable. And I know the tips also have a certain design on these (I tried some tips from my Shure IEM, and it didn't fit). So was just wondering if you guys know of any tips on Amazon that work with these. Obviously the size of them is going to be tricky, given the unique shape of ears. But price isn't an issue for me. Willing to try various tips.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #9,635 of 12,592
Been a while since I've posted on this forum. But a while back I stumbled on this thread and learned about the Sony MDR EX800STE.

I'm really glad I found them, because they are still the best headphones I've ever owned. I can't believe how good the bass is with the vents taped. I even find myself using them more then my HD800s and LCD-3 (although that partly comes down to convenience). Obviously these cant do everything as good as those. But damn if these don't hit the sweet spot for me, and is exactly the sound sig that is totally what I want. Crazy to think that at their size and price, I found something like this.

But non stop praise aside, something weird I noticed is that after a couple months of use, I started having fitting issues I didn't orginally have. The gist of it is, the ear tips when pushed in too far or a certain way, will then cause a crackling noise (almost like static). I'm not jamming these in my ears either (don't worry).

I swapped through the tips provided until I could find the best fit for my ears. The current tip I'm using is small enough that it fits, but is slightly shy of the exact size for a perfect fit (so I can tell I'm losing a little bit of the bass slam when I use my fingers to press on the iems from the outside). The next tip up is too big, and doesn't fit in far enough (so the sound is distant).

So I'm kind of in a ****ty position where one tip fits 95% of the way, but the tips above it is barely too big. The sound is still great, and tbh I've gotten used to the current tips. I don't really have issues with fit anymore, although sometimes I'll put the IEM slightly wrong and get the crackle issues (but it takes a second just to pull it out and re-inserting it). It's almost like a suction thing (where the tips are folding).

All this to say, is there tips you guys would recommend for this? I know the stock cable isn't easily replaceable. And I know the tips also have a certain design on these (I tried some tips from my Shure IEM, and it didn't fit). So was just wondering if you guys know of any tips on Amazon that work with these. Obviously the size of them is going to be tricky, given the unique shape of ears. But price isn't an issue for me. Willing to try various tips.

Trippy post.. (the timing)
I was just using mine with a cayin C5 and a Cowon (my bass rig) and the left side gives me some driver flex. No distortion when playing music but when I put em in my ear the driver flexes and sounds not healthy for em at all.
 I am using sureseal tips  and it is sealing. The vent being covered is not allowing the air pressure to change in the housing. If I don't use tape it doesn't happen but it did today...cuz i am taping.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #9,636 of 12,592
  Post #1 of this thread is incorrect: 8

8. Kumitate Lab KL-KANON

# 1DD + 2BA like the ASG 2.5
+ More refined than ASG 2.5 overall, treble not rolled off as ASG 2.5
- Very expensive, hard to find, not quite as much bass as ASG 2.5

*I demo/toured this

The KL-KANON comes with either 4x BAs or 6x BAs (The "Switch Option")

4. Kumitate Lab KL-REF

+ tuning bass dial, hybrid design best of it's kind
- Very expensive, hard to find, custom only
*I demo/toured this

1st post?

i liked the Kanon better than the KL-Ref btw but the main list is correct...pot #1 anyway

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #9,638 of 12,592

I'm using Ortofon tips w/ my ex1000, same nozzle size afaik. Medium and large sizes seem to run slightly small vs other tips. Aurisonics/Fender tips. JVC Spiral Dots come in intermediate sizes which might be good for your issue, but for ex1000 I need to make a nozzle adapter since they are a little too wide to firmly fit the nozzle. There's always the Comply option also.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #9,639 of 12,592
VorzAMP Duo from Vorzüge !!?!! has anyone heard or had some experience with this amp. Reviews for them are few and far between but apparently they have a crazy 15db bass boost that is a bassheads dream ! .. The ultimate basshead amp it seems from the few reviews found here. The price though is quite steep but they are having Black Friday offer ?

I have it on loaner from a friend. It's a legit amp. Lower noise floor than the Cayin C5, but I think the C5's bass boost targets sub bass more, opposed to closer to mid bass on the Vorzuge. On certain iems the Vorzuge bass boost is not a good fit, I've never had that issue with the C5. I have to do a bit more testing, but that's what I'm hearing. If there was a love child between the two, it would be the perfect portable amp. Vorzuge is a very nice amp, build is or seems to be better quality, but take price into the equation, it should be. I'd rec the C5 over the Vorzuge for bassheads even if the Vorzuge has more boost. Both are great amps though and I'd prefer the Vorzuge on certain setups.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #9,640 of 12,592

Finally got my main rig up and running again after a long hiatus, (long story, power supply/electrical issues, etc). Well, anyway, last two years I was on a full size hunt. It's only been about a year since I started the iem hunt. Finally, I get to hear my iem collection on my main rig. Photos contain just those I deem worthy of comparison.

clockwise from top left;

FW FLC8S
Sony 7550 (taped, of course)
Accutone Gemini HD
Hifiman SE600 songbird
Lamborghini HL01
JVC HA-FXZ200
Pioneer SE-CX8
Radius NHR-21
LZ A3S
JVC FX850
Shure SE846
Fender FXA7
Shockwave 3

What a nice Sunday afternoon

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #9,641 of 12,592
Good stuff @talan7 .
Yet another refugee from the world of over ears finding bliss in in-ear headphones.
Although I'm almost entirely earbuds these days, I stay checking in on my basshead bros (over ear and in ear)
waiting for the day the SZ2000 will be dethroned from spot #1....... reminds me @talan7, you got a SZ2k yet? that was the first set in over 6 years - maybe more - to convince me it was a keeper and over ear...

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #9,642 of 12,592
Yes, post #1. Vapemans list.

The drivers description of the kanon is incorrect.

You could have tagged me, but ill let you know the tour demo card was exactly as i wrote it. Shall i dig up the photos of the informational cards along with the tour units i received over a year ago?

I am not calling you wrong because i dont doubt they have updated some things in a year+ time.

Next time just pm me and ill clear it up.

Ill check with Kumitate's site myself and have my list corrected if necessary. If the 1DD+2BA model is discontinued or has a new name ill update my 1st page post and make it clear i tried an older KANON model.

Please PM if there is important information i am missing.

P.S. you can tag someone with the @ symbol. Like mluczkow.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #9,643 of 12,592
Hi,

Hope no offence was taken, none was intended.  I just quoted HBB since it was his actual post.

I've not even been into CIEMs that long, so I have no idea what the kumitate lab lineup looked like a year ago, but from my demo back in July forward, as far as I know, the KL-REF was their only hybrid model custom.

I'd be interested in seeing old info you have, including pictures and stuff.  Not to prove any type of who's right or wrong, etc, but rather, I'm interested in how their line up has changed and to educate myself.

Thanks for the info on the tagging @vapman 

Cheers,

- Mike

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #9,644 of 12,592
  Good stuff @talan7 .
Yet another refugee from the world of over ears finding bliss in in-ear headphones.
Although I'm almost entirely earbuds these days, I stay checking in on my basshead bros (over ear and in ear)
waiting for the day the SZ2000 will be dethroned from spot #1....... reminds me @talan7, you got a SZ2k yet? that was the first set in over 6 years - maybe more - to convince me it was a keeper and over ear...

I've had the SZ2000 for a couple of years now...awesome out of the main rig.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #9,645 of 12,592
  Hi,

Hope no offence was taken, none was intended.  I just quoted HBB since it was his actual post.

I've not even been into CIEMs that long, so I have no idea what the kumitate lab lineup looked like a year ago, but from my demo back in July forward, as far as I know, the KL-REF was their only hybrid model custom.

I'd be interested in seeing old info you have, including pictures and stuff.  Not to prove any type of who's right or wrong, etc, but rather, I'm interested in how their line up has changed and to educate myself.

Thanks for the info on the tagging @vapman 

Cheers,

- Mike

Sir, no offense taken at all. I did re read my message and it was a little more scathing than how I intended it.

I did check the kumitate site and it doesn't suggest there is a DD in anything except the REF. However these are not exactly what the cards included in the tour set from over a year ago say! this leads me to believe the designs have evolved but such evolutions were not documented.

In the fast I distinctly remember the KANON page advertising a dd + 2 ba's but now as you can see it's either 4 or 6 BA's

Cheers bro. I'm still real jealous of your Kumitate collection...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back