Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #451 of 12,595
Well after sending back my T10's I had to order something very quickly before I go on holiday. I punched for the Pioneer SE-CX8's from the reviews mentioned. Hopefully these are what I'm looking for.

Excited!!!

May 23, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #453 of 12,595
Well after sending back my T10's I had to order something very quickly before I go on holiday. I punched for the Pioneer SE-CX8's from the reviews mentioned. Hopefully these are what I'm looking for.

Excited!!!

If you're after the most bass impact of any IEM, good overall sound, and good bass depth, they are what you're looking for. The SE-CX9 have the same impact, more clarity, and less depth. I had both but kept the SE-CX8. If you EQ them, they can shake right off your desk. I don't love the stock eartips, so I use Monster Supertips with them.

In my normal rotation are the Pioneers when I want visceral impact, JVC HA-FXZ200 when I want super clear, liquid electronic sub-bass, and... tbd for an all-rounder. I have lots of others, but I'm actively seeking one more. I also use several full-size headphones frequently, especially the Sennheiser HD650 and JVC SZ2000.

Aurisonics ASG-2.5 are here today and waiting to be opened after my wife and kid go to sleep. The ASG-B have tremendous, thunderous bass, but lack the clarity I'm after. Rumor has it that the ASG-2.5 are the way to go.

May 23, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #454 of 12,595
Very quick first impressions about the ASG-B vs the ASG-2.5 before I go hang out with the wife for a bit (just put the kid down--couldn't resist listening to them for a few minutes):

1. The ASG-B has marginally more bass than the ASG-2.5, even with the ASG-2.5 bass port fully open.
    1. Nope, measurements don't bear that out. The other frequencies tainted my perception.
  2. The ASG-2.5 is much more pleasing to listen to. The ASG-B is much darker by default and doesn't have the potential for the incredible clarity of the ASG-2.5.
  3. The fit is the same. They seem to use the same mold as far as the ear side is concerned, and they fit me almost as well as a custom.
  4. The accessories between the two are identical, including the too-small case that I believe Aurisonics is working to replace.

May 24, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #455 of 12,595
@Hawaiibadboy, question for you, that came to me just now. I watched your video review of the 2.5s, and you didn't mention, where do you have your vent settings?

At that point (review) I was still  balancing the vent position,bass boost,eq settings,tips.
Initially I was pretty pissed. I was scared to listen to my other 1Dynamic 2 BA set....the much cheaper A2's

I was getting lost.
So I went with just getting a solid seal which required my sony tips.  Different tips for left and right..i got odd ear canals apparently?
Then I opened it all the way since I consider the dynamic to be a "sub-woofer" and the BA to be mid and highs which I'm pretty sure was the point.

With the vent all the way open the highs were rolled off and mids muted (this was where I got ready to ship em back)
I then decided to play a little more since it was a Sunday so I wasn't gonna do anything till the next day.
Lucky me..

I turned off the Cayin bass boost which I'm so used to and how it colors.
Mids were much better but a rolloff was still bothering me and that is weird since acoustic science leads me to believe that the illusion of open ness and space for a bud in the ear must be a spike in a upper register but if it's rolled off...?.....

But is was a huge stage.

I flipped the high gain and lifted 31 +2, 62 +1, 125 -3 So while not using the Cayin I still with a full open vent raised the sub-bass because it will not be in music it's not in and when it is I can compensate by raising the  2k +3  8k +2 10k +3

After all this and then going back my favorite headphone shop that very day I could "A" "B" with all the known stuff like Z5 and 846 and the like and was quite blown away and appreciated the "you gotta pay to play" thing a little better. I kept em and love em. I did come close to shipping em off but in the end I got methodical and eliminated the over boosting and addressed the roll off and upped the power input.

The case and the tips need to be addressed by the company but these are keepers..
I'd advise full open vent and go from there. It would seem impossible to open both identical regardless of what the microscope inspection indicates.

IMO

May 24, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #456 of 12,595
Frequency Response Graph for ASG-2.5 (Bass Fully Open and Bass Fully Closed) and ASG-B

ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Open = Red
ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Closed = Green
ASG-B = Blue

ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Open and ASG-B are virtually identical up to ~700Hz.
ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Open and ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Closed become identical after ~1500Hz.

May 24, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #457 of 12,595
Awesome measurements, thanks!

I've settled around 1/4 open, with -1 at 0.4khz, +1 at 2.5, +2 at 6.3 and +1 at 16khz on my Sony A17 dinky EQ or sometimes i'll dip at 0.4, +1 at 1.0, +1 at 6.3. 

After getting used to the EQ, enjoying them a bit more... It's kind of hard going back to other cans after having that bass too- at least for the genres that need it- makes a good yang to my ex1000 yin, or something like that... (ex1ks go uphill instead of down in the rest of the FR)

Though, how on earth Hawaii gets the Sony tips on there,
blink.gif
... maybe my old EX series tips are smaller than the current ones. Fortunately spiral dots and foams working pretty well for me, after the stock tips didn't fit... also got a pair of ASG biflange tips that fit great, but the material makes my ears itch like a motherf...

May 24, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #458 of 12,595
  Frequency Response Graph for ASG-2.5 (Bass Fully Open and Bass Fully Closed) and ASG-B

ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Open = Green
ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Closed = Red
ASG-B = Blue

ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Open and ASG-B are virtually identical up to ~700Hz.
ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Open and ASG-2.5 Bass Fully Closed become identical after ~1500Hz.

Dude thanks!!

My 125 cut makes sense now more than before.
Peaking at @20Hz     that's my babies
biggrin.gif

Though, how on earth Hawaii gets the Sony tips on there,
blink.gif
... maybe my old EX series tips are smaller than the current ones. Fortunately spiral dots and foams working pretty well for me, after the stock tips didn't fit... also got a pair of ASG biflange tips that fit great, but the material makes my ears itch like a motherf...

I put baby oil  with a Qtip..just a tad on the nozzle and the inside of the tips cuz no way it would work other wise.

May 24, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #459 of 12,595
I put baby oil  with a Qtip..just a tad on the nozzle and the inside of the tips cuz no way it would work other wise.
Do the tips not come off in your ears?

Interesting if not, annoys me having wide bore IEMs, so this could be a way around it - but, have had tips stuck in my ears before, so a little wary...

Sorry, hopefully not too OT...

May 24, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #460 of 12,595
Do the tips not come off in your ears?

Interesting if not, annoys me having wide bore IEMs, so this could be a way around it - but, have had tips stuck in my ears before, so a little wary...

Sorry, hopefully not too OT...

I did not want that to happen or some itty bit get dragged up and into the nozzle. It was just a light brushing on the upper nozzle bump and one part of the inside of the tip and put that edge on and twisted it over. It has not come off or sild forward.

May 24, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #461 of 12,595
@Hawaiibadboy  Thanks for the thorough explanation.  So I'll maybe just play with the vents, but I'll start with wide open, and see if that's what I'm hoping for.  

@Luckbad  Thanks so much for the graph.  I'm still waiting for delivery of my 2.5's, but this gives me something to look forward to.  Peaking at 20Hz, oh boy, my eardrums can't wait. 
ksc75smile.gif

May 24, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #462 of 12,595
If you're after the most bass impact of any IEM, good overall sound, and good bass depth, they are what you're looking for. The SE-CX9 have the same impact, more clarity, and less depth. I had both but kept the SE-CX8. If you EQ them, they can shake right off your desk. I don't love the stock eartips, so I use Monster Supertips with them.

In my normal rotation are the Pioneers when I want visceral impact, JVC HA-FXZ200 when I want super clear, liquid electronic sub-bass, and... tbd for an all-rounder. I have lots of others, but I'm actively seeking one more. I also use several full-size headphones frequently, especially the Sennheiser HD650 and JVC SZ2000.

Aurisonics ASG-2.5 are here today and waiting to be opened after my wife and kid go to sleep. The ASG-B have tremendous, thunderous bass, but lack the clarity I'm after. Rumor has it that the ASG-2.5 are the way to go.

WOW these pioneers define BASSHEAD! These are exactly what I was looking for. There not audiophile grade but I'm impressed at how clear the miss and highs really are.

Luckbad were on the same soundwave. Looking forward to your impressions of the 2.5's.

Totally agree on the tips too. The stock ones are awful so I switched them to the Klipsch elliptical tips.

May 24, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #463 of 12,595
WOW these pioneers define BASSHEAD! These are exactly what I was looking for. There not audiophile grade but I'm impressed at how clear the miss and highs really are.

Luckbad were on the same soundwave. Looking forward to your impressions of the 2.5's.

Totally agree on the tips too. The stock ones are awful so I switched them to the Klipsch elliptical tips.

Which one of the Pioneers you got, CX-8 or CX-9?

I am waiting for the price drop in UK to get one. Since hearing Luckbad's impression on CX-8 , I am longing to get one ... 

May 24, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #464 of 12,595

the Pioneers you are talking about, are those the big copper ones? I saw those in a local shop but no type describing exept for the brand name

May 24, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #465 of 12,595
the Pioneers you are talking about, are those the big copper ones? I saw those in a local shop but no type describing exept for the brand name

The cx8's. I'm in the UK and I would spend double what I paid. I honestly couldn't imagine this much bass could go through a iem, my jaw literally shakes at some songs. Worth every penny / cent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back