Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Nov 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #391 of 470
Had a similar problem. Not very good quality control I guess

Quote:

I ordered RE0's from Amazon and received them today but some paint or anodizing got screwed up during the manufacturing process; they came out of the box like this. Should I just suck it up and accept it?

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #392 of 470

Quote:

I ordered RE0's from Amazon and received them today but some paint or anodizing got screwed up during the manufacturing process; they came out of the box like this. Should I just suck it up and accept it?

You dont lose anything if you contact amazon.. I heared they do super dooper customer service very often... Maybe theyll send you a HifiMan HE-6! xD

Btw all this talking about the Re0 bass. About the quality, do they go below 40hz? An amp helps things get more balanced?

May 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #394 of 470
Quote:
i always want to get a pair of RE0, but the durability issues reported by others stopping me behind. Sometimes I wonder whether it is user problem or product problem.

I have the current version of the RE0 (v3 I believe) and have had no problems whatsoever.  The build quality appears very good which is what I expect from Hifiman.  Properly amped these remain a great IEMs for the money.

May 9, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #395 of 470
Quote:
I have the current version of the RE0 (v3 I believe) and have had no problems whatsoever.  The build quality appears very good which is what I expect from Hifiman.  Properly amped these remain a great IEMs for the money.

means the reported built issue is actually from the previous version of it?

May 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #396 of 470
Quote:
means the reported built issue is actually from the previous version of it?

Yes, that's my understanding.  The original version apparently had fabric covered lead wires, although I'd imagine those are hard to find these days on the FS page.

I can't understand the cosmetic problems mentioned on the earlier posts. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #398 of 470
I've have the original RE-0 from when it first came out.  straight plug, rubber cable.  Never had any problem with them at all.  the love or hate of these IEM's is all about getting the right tip fit.  everyone I have ever spoken with in regards to these iems not sounding amazing had no idea what the right fit even was.  with the wrong tip, they sound thin and lame.  with a correct fitting tip, these are absolutely without a doubt one of the BEST IEM's you can get..  period.  I recently listened to the most expensive IEM on the market at a meet.  and I just felt they didnt compare to what the RE-0 brings to the table.  Was it a great IEM, yes, but it just  did not deliver to MY ears what I was looking for.  Everyone hears things differently.  thats a lesson I've learned in my time here.  Yes, the RE-0 sound can be improved.  yes.  soundstage could widen, and they do come off as sounding a bit Dry when compared with something like the RE 272.  In fact, at this writing, the 272 is the iem I would consider when my RE-0 dies.  Although I hear there are two new IEM's coming out from hifiman/head-direct.

I am strongly in the camp that the RE-0 needs an amp to really make it work properly.  Yes, you can get great sound out of an ipod, but you can just look at the specs and see that it desires some quality amping.  I am currently using the RSA Hornet amp set to MID - whiplash audio LOD - Ipod classic with lossless files - to the RE-0 as my portable setup.  Excellent..

Unfortunately, it seems that because the RE-0 is older, it is being discontinued.  its been at the clearance price of $49 for a bit now.  I of course ordered an extra pair to have on hand, because I've almost lost mine 3 times, and I went into a panic.  at $49, everyone should own a pair of these.  if for no other reason then to give yourself a reference point for what real smooth treble extension is supposed to sound like.

Boy, I sure wrote too much for an IEM that is going away.  but this is the "appreciation" thread, so I feel ok about it.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #399 of 470
what is the most expensive iem you have listened to compare its sound with Re-0 ?

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #401 of 470
I bought a pair of Re- Zeros last year and was sooo dissapointed with them, despite being supposed to have more bass than the Re-0's I still found them lacking in that area.... as well all other areas, thin layered, exteremly cold, analytical, fatiguing treble.  Not sure if I got a dodgy pair or whether its a sound signature preference thing but I honestly wouldn't pay a single penny for another pair. My TF10's... and the bargain Sony MH1c's on the other hand... yep, they are much more up my street.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #402 of 470
what is the most expensive iem you have listened to compare its sound with Re-0 ?

Fitear TO GO! 334. ($1,350)

Yes, there are better isms out there, but this comparison in particular surprised me. Remember though that all ears hear things differently. Beyond preferences.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #403 of 470
I is
I bought a pair of Re- Zeros last year and was sooo dissapointed with them, despite being supposed to have more bass than the Re-0's I still found them lacking in that area.... as well all other areas, thin layered, exteremly cold, analytical, fatiguing treble.  Not sure if I got a dodgy pair or whether its a sound signature preference thing but I honestly wouldn't pay a single penny for another pair. My TF10's... and the bargain Sony MH1c's on the other hand... yep, they are much more up my street.
[/quote

I did not like the re-zero either.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #404 of 470
Quote:

I had a similar experience with the RE-ZEROs but NOT with the RE0s. RE0s are airy but not as overly upper/mid forward as the ZEROs and aren't anywhere near as thin sounding. RE0s are a great IEM for $50. For me they are bested by the Yamaha EPH-100 because RE0's soundstage is tiny in comparison and is missing some of the dynamism that the Yamaha's provide. But again, I'm comparing a $50 product to a $150 one. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #405 of 470
On my first RE0, after several years of service, the casing on one side separated. I wonder whether there is a way to fix it with superglue (or with whatever). And I lost a pair. Fortunately, I had a spare and bought another spare after the loss (used). earphones in travel mode get lost, damaged, stolen. That should be kept in mind before buying anything marginally better, but more expensjve than RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back