Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Dec 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #256 of 470

Bought my RE0 about two months ago when my ADDIEMs died. Thoughts:

Comfort: These are very uncomfortable. I haven't found any of the tips to be amazing, but I've settled for the ones with the best seal. The bi-flanges are soft and hard to get in properly. With the single tips the ridges on the IEM body rub my ear at times with doesn't feel too good.

Sound: They sound cold. Very precise and accurate, but they are too cold for my liking. I feel like I'm dissecting songs rather than listening with these. The mids and highs are fantastic, but the lows are worse than the AD700s, which I'm shocked.

I like these, they've grown on me throughout the 100 or so hours of use, but I prefer my ADDIEMs personally.

I agree with your observations. The lack of bass is because it's just so difficult to get a good seal with this IEM no matter what tips you use. The best seal I get is with the Comply tips but they just murder the SQ. You can try bumping up the lower frequencies with the EQ but of course there's always a downside to that

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #257 of 470
Well Auvio tips are more comfortable, but their tubes are too soft and muddy up the sound slightly versus stock Hifiman tips.  I am now using Auvio tips with Comply tubes with RE-ZERO, still need to try other stuff.  I also tried mutilated stock biflanges (this was suggested to me in the ZERO thread, I think), but they weren't any better as far as fit or sound.  ZERO now has a more defined sound with better soundstage and a bit more bass presence with the Auvio + Comply tubes.

RE0 is mildly bassy when you get a good seal and it has lots of burn-in.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #258 of 470
These were my first IEMs and I ended up buying a second pair for my wife they impressed me so much. I can't believe they are so cheap!

The clarity, especially in the top end, is superb and paired with my Fiio E7's subtle bass boost the bottom end is tight, and substantial enough for my tastes.

Lucky for me I get a great fit with the stock double flange tips.

If I wanted to upgrade what would be the next step up from these with the same neutral signature?

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #259 of 470

Quote:
I agree with your observations. The lack of bass is because it's just so difficult to get a good seal with this IEM no matter what tips you use. The best seal I get is with the Comply tips but they just murder the SQ. You can try bumping up the lower frequencies with the EQ but of course there's always a downside to that

Yeah, I've wound up turning on the rock preset on my iPod. I may just use the bass setting though as it seems to boost the bass as much as rock without adding to the highs, which definitely don't need more prominence.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #260 of 470
Lol, I feel sorry for you, get some Sony hybrids or Monster triple flanges.

Seriously ADDIEMS over RE0's youve gotta be kidding me, IMO my AD700's bass is slightly less "thumpy" and "punchy" then my RE0's and my RE0's have a nice tight, fast and "OOOMPPHH" to it compared to the round bass of my AD700's.

Don't use the budget silicone tips that Head Direct or HiFiMan give to you, you'll only get about %80 potential of your RE0's compared to other tips like Sony or Sennheiser or even Fischer Audio.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #261 of 470

Quote:

Did you try the Comply T-500s?  I get good isolation with them with no loss of sq.  They warm up the bass, which helps the overall coolness of the RE0s, imo.

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #262 of 470

So... I've had my RE0's for about 5 months, and in the meantime I just recently spotted some SA6's at Fry's on Black Friday for $99.99 and picked them up. They have nothing on the clarity of the RE0. Absolutely nothing. The lows and mids are similar, but I mean the RE0 just has this shine to it's high end that I have yet to hear anywhere else. Not that that means much coming from me..... I haven't heard much. 

Without sifting through the entire thread, I think we should get a list of tips that fit the RE0. Which are best?

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #263 of 470

Quote:
Eheh, that makes at least three of us here on head-fi who've had split RE0 casings. I recommend that you send it back in since it's likely it'll come apart again.

On a positive note, the sound is really something. It's amazing how detailed these are, I'm enjoying familiar tracks like new ones now.

Mine split a long time ago. Popped em' back, never had another problem.

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #264 of 470

Quote:
... Without sifting through the entire thread, I think we should get a list of tips that fit the RE0. Which are best?

x2
and add it to page one somewhere where it is easy for others to find

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #265 of 470
I was also wondering if anyone else was annoyed by the way the RE0 cord comes coiled out of the package? Mine hasn't ever set into another form. It coils into a mess no matter how much I try to straighten it. Any solutions?

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #266 of 470
I wrap my cables like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPRIxR--DU . Basically, when you  wrap it this way, the cable is twisted alternately, instead of in only 1 direction.
And my favorite tip is the UE medium single flange

Quote:
I was also wondering if anyone else was annoyed by the way the RE0 cord comes coiled out of the package? Mine hasn't ever set into another form. It coils into a mess no matter how much I try to straighten it. Any solutions?

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #267 of 470
I have been using RE0 for sometime and like it. Recently I took advantage of the Amazon deal and ordered a Monster Turbine. I have burn-in the MT and use it for sometime, I like it and I still listen to both RE0 and MT. The RE0 is clean and detail, MT is warmer with larger soundstage and big deep bass. The MT impress me when I listen to orchastra or live performance. Then, many of the music I listen is vocal and string. The MT can sometime sound too big that hurt my ears, I have to lowered the volume and overall music including vocal/high became softer. Because of that, I usually prefer my music clean and detail than heavy sounding/bass. RE0 bass is actually okay for me and it never sound too tiring no matter how long I listen to my favourite music. I can turn on the volume confortably with beautiful mid and high range uncolor. Then, I like the MT too it just depending on the kind of music I'm listening. The RE0 however is fine on any day for my listening preference. Not forgetting it is so much cheaper comparing retail to retail price of RE0 and MT. :)

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #268 of 470

Quote:
I wrap my cables like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPRIxR--DU . Basically, when you  wrap it this way, the cable is twisted alternately, instead of in only 1 direction.
And my favorite tip is the UE medium single flange

I don't think that will really help, unless I leave it like that for an extended period of time, but then it is still coiled. Here is what my cord looks like when I place it down and maybe just jostle it around a bit.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #270 of 470
I was thinking, It's been cold lately, maybe I take something warm (not hot), and heat it up a teeeeeeeny bit while it's taped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back