Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Feb 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #286 of 470
That's what I am afraid of. My RE0s will arrive this week. So many different opinions, that it's hard to figure out who has the most similar ears to my own! I don't mind bass being light, but if it's non-existent then that would be problematic in my books. Was thinking of getting the Sunrise SW-Xcape if these RE0s don't sound like what I want.

Quote:
The mailman made a delivery today 
smily_headphones1.gif

Boy, the reports of these things and their lack of bass are right on the money -  Sounds like someone removed the leads to the woofers.  I tend to like a brighter sound, but I need to address the bass situation...I'm thinking the Arrow 12HE with the bass boost circuit would do the trick.  With a bit more bass, these would be perfect.  I'm a newbie and I'm just driving the RE0's with me bloody Ipod, so I may need to spend a bit more money before I get the sound I'm looking for..  The wealth of info on this board is invaluable and I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their input..

Steve

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #287 of 470
Well, it's all subjective I guess, I dont consider myself a basshead, but the re0's are a bit light in the bass dept, for me.  I placed an order for an Arrow 12he amp, hoping that the bass boost circuit would give the re0's that little bass boost that I desire..  Upon further reading on this forum, it sounds like the DBA-02 are very similar to the RE0's with added low end frequency response...I may give those a try if the amped re0's don't turn suit my tastes.  Good luck.

Steve

Quote:
That's what I am afraid of. My RE0s will arrive this week. So many different opinions, that it's hard to figure out who has the most similar ears to my own! I don't mind bass being light, but if it's non-existent then that would be problematic in my books. Was thinking of getting the Sunrise SW-Xcape if these RE0s don't sound like what I want.

Quote:
The mailman made a delivery today 
smily_headphones1.gif

Boy, the reports of these things and their lack of bass are right on the money -  Sounds like someone removed the leads to the woofers.  I tend to like a brighter sound, but I need to address the bass situation...I'm thinking the Arrow 12HE with the bass boost circuit would do the trick.  With a bit more bass, these would be perfect.  I'm a newbie and I'm just driving the RE0's with me bloody Ipod, so I may need to spend a bit more money before I get the sound I'm looking for..  The wealth of info on this board is invaluable and I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their input..

Steve

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #288 of 470

I found the RE0s to be very neutral and the bass to be very dependent on the recording. I started to really appreciate the mids a lot with these and would now say that I like my bass, but only when tight and clean, and in the right amount with good separation from mids and highs.

For those who have compatible players like the older 5th and 5.5 gen iPods, I would strongly recommend setting up and trying out the rockbox firmware. It gives you an excellent EQ, and you can dial up the bass very nicely. The audio controls in rockbox are great.

For a portable amp, I use a mini3 and in my opinion it pairs great with the RE0s. Meant to be a DIY, it can be built from the parts list on the AMB audio website or purchased from a builder, I've seen at least one seller on eBay (soldermonkey I believe) who has string feedback and sells them for around $100 maybe a little more. Great amp.

Love my RE0s, for the money I think they are hard to beat, though I did have to find better tips like almost everybody else here before I found them to be comfortable.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #289 of 470
Just received my package with the RE0s this morning from the TNT delivery man. I took some pics before trying them on. I was waiting for the holy s**t moment, but that never happened. It sounds good... just not holy s**t good. I certainly wouldn't pay over $100 for these. There's lots of details that I've never heard in my other headphones. The treble details certainly comes out very nicely. As for the bass, I'm not disappointed. In fact I'm pleased as there is a decent amount of bass. Certainly it's bass light compared to other IEMs but not something I am complaining much about at this time. I notice that I needed to significantly increase the volume from my rockboxed Sansa Fuze to get adequate sound out of these RE0s. Compared to my Marshmallows the sound is less heavy and full, but more clear and detailed. Soundstage is about the same. By the way I'm using the black medium tip. I will update later after 50 hours or so of burn in. So far, a decent set of IEMs that I hope will improve over the burn in period.

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #290 of 470
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any comparisons between these and UE700. I am considering getting the UE's soon, and just wanted to know. I did find a thread which started out talking about this comparison, but never really seems to address this specific (competitive) item, per se (it just seems like it gets avoided somewhere along the line).

I'm a little more concerned about sound quality than comfort and build durability. I have been using IE's for several years now and I have never had any break on me, because I always take immaculate care of them. I'm not a bass-head, but I just like an overall warm sound quality, with a good balance of all of the different frequencies, and a good soundstage. I listen mostly to a lot of Bob Dylan, and classic rock from the '60's, '70's, and '80's, primarily.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #291 of 470
Break-in is absolutely essential for these, they sounded like $10 earbuds until a good 40-50hr break-in run. Evaluate these with good high bitrate recordings, and with a decent amp and they will most certainly prove their worth in the detail they resolve. I had a nice pair of AT-A700s that cost over $100 and sounded very good, but to me the RE0s completely blew them away. These will make bad recordings sound really bad, so try them out with 320 or lossless once they're broken in.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #292 of 470
50 hrs burnin makes a difference, 100 hrs is better.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #293 of 470
Just got the RE-Zero's to replace my just broken 6 year old Super-Fi 5 Pro (well one of the IEM's broken, but still rip)... 

Hasn't gone through burn-in yet, but, I really love the detail. I have an original D2 and iphone 4 (they really respond to an equalizer on the iphone).

One thing that I noticed was how the scored edges were cutting into my earlobes, so I took a file and filed down the sharpness of the notched sides til they were smooth.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #294 of 470
Hi, I have no idea if this is the right place to post, but recently the left side of my RE0 stopped playing (or to put it in a better way, plays, but very very silently) and it seems that the glue on the other side holding the case together weakens.

So, my question is, how long is the warranty on those and what do I need to do to have them repaired/get a replacement?

I really like them, and contrary to some I certainly don't find they lack on the bass side. The bass is there if it is in the song. So I would love to have them fixed/back as soon as possible!

Cheers!

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #295 of 470
Just got it, but so far it's just what the re0's needed:

Steve

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #297 of 470
Ahh..something else I need to spend money on....I suppose that is something that connects to the proprietary ipod plug?  I'll have to search around, which one do you suggest?  My wallet thanks you...

Steve

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #299 of 470
Thanks, I'll have to scope the scam.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back