HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Oct 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #361 of 846
OK, finally got them from UPS. Just plugged them into my old Luxman integrated amp with a Sony x-series walkman as the source (no external DAC), and so far I am impressed of course, I have to turn up the amp to about 12:00 to get the sound I want). Dave Matthews Some Devil sounds really good! I can't wait to get them home to hook up to the LD1+ and a better source to see the difference. I'll also let them run all day to start breaking them in. These are pretty beafy, but actually really comfortable. Much more than the Grado 125, or my old AT ATH-2 ortho.

I'm really enjoying the strong, controlled bass coming out of these.

I've got to get back to work, but will post more later after I've had a chance to listen more.

Great! Many are fans of the velour pads vs pleather, so if you have both, consider trying out the velour. Let us know how the LD compares to the Luxman when ou get a chance.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #362 of 846
Quote:
Great! Many are fans of the velour pads vs pleather, so if you have both, consider trying out the velour. Let us know how the LD compares to the Luxman when ou get a chance.

X2 good call

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #364 of 846
Quote:
LB1,

What the heck is that thing on your avatar?  I think it ate the person that was there.

Haha
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #365 of 846

LMAO when I seen this, had to have it

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #366 of 846
So I got a chance to listen to some tunes through the LD1+ last night, and it sounded really good, and I didn't have the opportunity to change the gain on them yet. Probably better than through the old luxman amp (of course, the Luxman is not in the best of shape). I also tested it out through a Nuforce UDAC2 hooked up to my laptop, and that drives the HE-500 pretty well. after all the conversation, I thought you would need a monster amp to drive these, but I think they don't need quite as much as everyone thinks? I do notice that the dynamics really get better with the LD1+ compared to lower powred sources however. Of course, I'm certainly no expert on any of this, I just know what I like, and I really love the sound of these cans.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #368 of 846
Having had a day or so to listen to the HE-500s, I find myself preferring the pleather to velours. This may be heretical, but even though the sound does open up a bit, I find the added treble energy or "zing" to be a bit excessive.

It could be a function of the M-Stage, which I have opamp rolled to be warmer than stock, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Am I doing it wrong? 

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #369 of 846
Quote:
Having had a day or so to listen to the HE-500s, I find myself preferring the pleather to velours. This may be heretical, but even though the sound does open up a bit, I find the added treble energy or "zing" to be a bit excessive.

It could be a function of the M-Stage, which I have opamp rolled to be warmer than stock, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Am I doing it wrong? 

To me the pleather kinda sucked the midrange a bit which i don't like it, i prefer the openness sound with the velour... i guess i'm a treble lover after all
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #370 of 846
If the HE-500 is affected in the same way the HE-400 is, I prefer the velour too for opening the midrange up and making it more airier.  I couldn't hear much of a difference in treble, and bass wasn't changed at all.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #371 of 846

To me the pleather kinda sucked the midrange a bit which i don't like it, i prefer the openness sound with the velour... i guess i'm a treble lover after all
biggrin.gif

I do like the openness provided by the velours, but maybe I'm not a treble lover! For me the difference between the treble response is like the difference between a slightly tart lemonade drink (+ velours), or a warm, honey tea (+ pleather). I can drink the tea every day and not get tired, but I only like lemonade once in a while 
smile.gif

If the HE-500 is affected in the same way the HE-400 is, I prefer the velour too for opening the midrange up and making it more airier.  I couldn't hear much of a difference in treble, and bass wasn't changed at all.

Thankfully, bass response isn't much affected by the velours, maybe it's just that I like a more syrupy sound... That's also why my AKG K500 didn't get much headtime either I guess..Great soundstage and airiness, but the treble just didn't do it for me..

On a more positive velour-related note, I found that the sound was more resolving with the velours on, and I could instantly tell which songs in my playlist were lower quality (< 320k MP3 for instance) than the others

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #372 of 846
I finally tried the velours also. First of all, I think the velours are more comfortable and don't slide as much. I think I might like the sound a little better with the velours, but it's hard to decide. I think I finally figured out the amp for my rig however. I was playing around with my LD1+, and increased the gain. The volume increase is more than enough at that setting, but I noticed more floor noise with the gain up to 7. Then I went back to an old Carver pre-amp, and was blown away. Volume wise was comparable with the LD1+, but the bass was much fuller, and the overall sound was much cleaner. It has an absolutely dead silent background. Both were being fed directly by an Emotiva ERC-1 cd player (which does have a higher than normal output voltage). I probably still only have 20 hours on these phones, but they really impress.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #373 of 846
Quote:
I finally tried the velours also. First of all, I think the velours are more comfortable and don't slide as much. I think I might like the sound a little better with the velours, but it's hard to decide. I think I finally figured out the amp for my rig however. I was playing around with my LD1+, and increased the gain. The volume increase is more than enough at that setting, but I noticed more floor noise with the gain up to 7. Then I went back to an old Carver pre-amp, and was blown away. Volume wise was comparable with the LD1+, but the bass was much fuller, and the overall sound was much cleaner. It has an absolutely dead silent background. Both were being fed directly by an Emotiva ERC-1 cd player (which does have a higher than normal output voltage). I probably still only have 20 hours on these phones, but they really impress.

The break in process do benefit on the HE 500, enjoy and welcome to the family
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #374 of 846
Quote:
Preproman, did you get your 5LE's yet? If so, any thoughts?

Got'em..  I got two pair of valor pads (good).  Seems like they start covering their cables with black sleeves.  IMO also good.  Out the box bass is there and good no hot treble at all.  They're an enjoyable listen for a brand new pair.

More to come. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #375 of 846
Quote:

Got'em..  I got two pair of valor pads (good).  Seems like they start covering their cables with black sleeves.  IMO also good.  Out the box bass is there and good no hot treble at all.  They're an enjoyable listen for a brand new pair.

More to come. 

Good stuff
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back