HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Oct 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #346 of 846
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #348 of 846
I got my he-500 in today, they look and feel real good. I have not listen to them yet. I am chopping at the bits. I also ordered my bifrost and LYR today to power them off. The bifrost is on back order, so it will next week or so before getting them in. 

Now my question is: Is there a good portable amp that will push these nicely. It would be nice when I make my long drive on my vacation and stop to be able to listen to some good music. 

Another question I had is, I got one that come in a carring case not the box. Also the cable is a very thin and almost white looking. I notice in some reviews the headphone came with a thick black cable. Which of the two is the better cable. Not to concern with not getting a nice box, because the carring case is must better

Thanks

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #349 of 846
I got my he-500 in today, they look and feel real good. I have not listen to them yet. I am chopping at the bits. I also ordered my bifrost and LYR today to power them off. The bifrost is on back order, so it will next week or so before getting them in. 

Now my question is: Is there a good portable amp that will push these nicely. It would be nice when I make my long drive on my vacation and stop to be able to listen to some good music. 

Another question I had is, I got one that come in a carring case not the box. Also the cable is a very thin and almost white looking. I notice in some reviews the headphone came with a thick black cable. Which of the two is the better cable. Not to concern with not getting a nice box, because the carring case is must better

Thanks

You should take a listen to them with whatever you have. No reason to wait! These were made to be drivable by more sources (compared to earlier Hifiman cans), not just powerful amps, though that's where you'll get the best sound.

The early versions came with the thick black Canare cable, which was actually speaker cable and copper I believe - but many didn't like how thick and inflexible it was. You have the silver cable - kind of fragile by comparison.

Typically silver is brighter and copper comparatively a little more laid back. I have both cables, but never really made a point of A/B-ing them.

As for portable amps, sorry, don't have one really, so can't recommend one.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #350 of 846
Quote:

Thanks

I had the silver clear silver cable as well and I thought it was pretty crap. Maybe not for sound, but if it touches ANYTHING it carries sound right to your ears. I replaced mine with a Norn 2 from Norse Audio. Ran something like $230 or so but is better in every conceivable way. If you're happy with the stock, though, just keep using it. When I went from the stock silver one to a high-grade copper one I didn't really notice a difference.

What are you hoping to get out of a portable amp? Surely you don't plan on listening to these in public. There's no sound protection in either direction so you hear the world and the world will hear you.

Also, I think you mean chomping, not chopping. :wink:

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #351 of 846
Congtats wetfit9, and welcome to the fabulous soundworld that is; The HE500! 

Yeah I wouldn't go chopping your headhpones, can only be bad for them.. unless they are beats
very_evil_smiley.gif

The Silver cable is good and a lot of people are happy just to keep using it. I upgraded mine for a better looking one and was pleased with the sound difference, subtle but defo better. (I use copper/silver)

Most cmoy portable amps will have enough juice to power them for emergancy portable use. I wouldn't go splashing out on a high tech portable amp though just for vacation, they are hifi headphones afterall.

Enjoy!

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #352 of 846
Quote:

Thanks

You will not regret with your HE500
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #354 of 846
Quote:

I had the silver clear silver cable as well and I thought it was pretty crap. Maybe not for sound, but if it touches ANYTHING it carries sound right to your ears. I replaced mine with a Norn 2 from Norse Audio. Ran something like $230 or so but is better in every conceivable way. If you're happy with the stock, though, just keep using it. When I went from the stock silver one to a high-grade copper one I didn't really notice a difference.

What are you hoping to get out of a portable amp? Surely you don't plan on listening to these in public. There's no sound protection in either direction so you hear the world and the world will hear you.

Also, I think you mean chomping, not chopping. :wink:

Thanks everyone for your input, and yes I meant chomping. :)  I do want/plan on upgrading the cable asap. I just had them on, testing the feel and the cable bush against something and I thought something was wrong with the headphones.  Where is a good spot to pick up some after market good cables because these have to goooooo.  Thanks ahead of time

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #355 of 846
Thanks everyone for your opinions on the LD1+. My new cans should arrive around noon. Unfortunately, I have a full schedule today, but I'm sure I'll sneak away for a little time to check them out. Prior to these, the best I've had is a Grado 125, and an old ATH-2 orthodymanic that is slightly modded, so I'm really excited to hear the difference.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #356 of 846
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input, and yes I meant chomping. :)  I do want/plan on upgrading the cable asap. I just had them on, testing the feel and the cable bush against something and I thought something was wrong with the headphones.  Where is a good spot to pick up some after market good cables because these have to goooooo.  Thanks ahead of time

Norse Audio would be my suggestion. They make a good cable and Trevor (guy who makes them) is a cool guy to work with. They're reasonably priced and very flexible. Ask for the 8-connection Norn 2.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #358 of 846
The UPS guys just dropped off my HE-500s! Man, those fiddly little connectors are a pain to screw in.. Now to run it through its paces with my test playlist.

One song in, and so far, so gooooood 
L3000.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #360 of 846
OK, finally got them from UPS. Just plugged them into my old Luxman integrated amp with a Sony x-series walkman as the source (no external DAC), and so far I am impressed of course, I have to turn up the amp to about 12:00 to get the sound I want). Dave Matthews Some Devil sounds really good! I can't wait to get them home to hook up to the LD1+ and a better source to see the difference. I'll also let them run all day to start breaking them in. These are pretty beafy, but actually really comfortable. Much more than the Grado 125, or my old AT ATH-2 ortho.

I'm really enjoying the strong, controlled bass coming out of these.

I've got to get back to work, but will post more later after I've had a chance to listen more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back