HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Apr 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #136 of 846

Quote:
Read the ratings on my review to help you get a feeling for the two.

It's a shame that there still isn't a direct comparative review between HD650 and HE400, your writeups are as close as we can get right now but obviously it lacks the authoritative weight behind an actual A/B shootout.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #137 of 846

Quote:
Read the ratings on my review to help you get a feeling for the two.

Yea, I think the common D2000 in the reviews give a pretty good corner stone to piece together a review.

Quote:
also interested in your 500 vs 400 comparison.

im tossing up between the 650 and 400 at the moment :S , ive never heard a senn i liked, but i've never heard the high end ones so i have no idea.

im a bit inclined to take a gamble on the 400, reading these reviews of the 500 isnt helping much.

sorry for your wallet aint no fuggin joke.

NO, IT ISN'T.

Also the HD650 aren't a typical senn sound...well the Silver drivers if I'm correct aren't they were more forward than the 600 and old drivers.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #138 of 846

Quote:

Also the HD650 aren't a typical senn sound...well the Silver drivers if I'm correct aren't they were more forward than the 600 and old drivers.

correct. the silver drivers however are still dark and laid-back, though not as much as the old black drivers. i've heard both and they have the same sound signature, the silver ones are just slightly more open sounding. 

so the silver drivers are still a deviation from the normal senn sound.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #139 of 846

Quote:

Yeah the silver drivers are great.  Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a rock album I will think to myself... this Grado really sounds good... then I see my SR80i sitting on the desk and realize I'm wearing the HD650.  This has happened a few times.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #140 of 846

Quote:

I'm an IEM guy getting into full sized, so unfortunately it's a bit difficult to gauge thing's from my end. i suppose i'm just trying to figure out which part of the deep end to jump into. :)

all i really know is, from narrowing it down, the 650 / 400 look like the two choices for my tastes, and the 500 if i want to go over budget. 

with no reference though, it's a bit difficult to take the plunge. so i'm thinking he-400 might be a safe option in terms of cost and a base of reference for sound signature. 

i'm in no particular rush though, so i look forward to your 400 vs 500 review.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #141 of 846

Quote:

I'm an IEM guy getting into full sized, so unfortunately it's a bit difficult to gauge thing's from my end. i suppose i'm just trying to figure out which part of the deep end to jump into. :)

all i really know is, from narrowing it down, the 650 / 400 look like the two choices for my tastes, and the 500 if i want to go over budget. 

with no reference though, it's a bit difficult to take the plunge. so i'm thinking he-400 might be a safe option in terms of cost and a base of reference for sound signature. 

i'm in no particular rush though, so i look forward to your 400 vs 500 review.

Be careful with a base of reference for sound signature...well if your using one headphone as a base for that brand that is. If it's for a personal reference of preferred or not preferred sound ignore this post heh. Also updated the OP again with a little tidbit, been messing around with the MKII again.

Also this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrv3zLegFtU&feature=youtu.be
+the HE-500 gives me.
This face

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #142 of 846

Quote:

It's a shame that there still isn't a direct comparative review between HD650 and HE400, your writeups are as close as we can get right now but obviously it lacks the authoritative weight behind an actual A/B shootout.

Yeah it's too bad.  I would have liked to get into some in-depth comparisons with songs and everything, but at least the HD650's sound surprised me for all the wrong reasons to know how its general sonic signature compared.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #143 of 846
I enjoyed reading that.

The HE-500 truly is a wonderful headphone! 

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #144 of 846
Has anyone here tested the HE-500 on the Schiit Asgard? Can this amp drive them properly?

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #146 of 846
So I spent 8 hours in my LCD-2's. I owned this headphone already and I already miss the HE-500 but I was using way too expensive equipment to keep it running. But yes, I prefer HE-500 to LCD-2 even though both are clearly win-win scenarios.

The LCD-2 is an eyesore compared to the HE-500 which is kind of like art to me.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #147 of 846

Quote:
So I spent 8 hours in my LCD-2's. I owned this headphone already and I already miss the HE-500 but I was using way too expensive equipment to keep it running. But yes, I prefer HE-500 to LCD-2 even though both are clearly win-win scenarios.

The LCD-2 is an eyesore compared to the HE-500 which is kind of like art to me.

Noice!...well not nice, but NICE!

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #148 of 846
Working on my vidya review today as it's mah day off.
o2smile.gif
I feel we need a HiFiman emoticon!

Okay Yall HE-500 reviews up. I might re-do it tomorrow real quick as the lighting was just SOOO muffed up....and I kind of sound silly but meh HAVE AT IT.

HE-500 Appreciation thread?
Or even just a general Planar Discussion thread, I'm keeping the HE-500, now I just have to decide weather or not I want to sell EVERYTHING else. Keep on look out for my RS-2 and D2000 Video's I'm going to do soon as well as a DT1350 video!*sorry to advertise....* Looking forward to getting the HE-400 for a fit to a/b with these bad mamma jammas.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #149 of 846

Quote:
Working on my vidya review today as it's mah day off.
o2smile.gif
I feel we need a HiFiman emoticon!

Okay Yall HE-500 reviews up. I might re-do it tomorrow real quick as the lighting was just SOOO muffed up....and I kind of sound silly but meh HAVE AT IT.

HE-500 Appreciation thread?
Or even just a general Planar Discussion thread, I'm keeping the HE-500, now I just have to decide weather or not I want to sell EVERYTHING else. Keep on look out for my RS-2 and D2000 Video's I'm going to do soon as well as a DT1350 video!*sorry to advertise....* Looking forward to getting the HE-400 for a fit to a/b with these bad mamma jammas.

We've had an ortho thread going for 7+ years now on this site.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #150 of 846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back