HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Apr 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3,526 of 3,819
So after listening to a few sets of headphones (lcd-2, pfe 012 iem, ehp-100 iem, ue6000) through the speaker taps of my arcam, I would say there is some improvement in the sound.  Dac used was cambridge audio dacmagic.  Most notable to me is that the highs are less fatiguing (something I'm very sensitive to due to a problem with my ears).  I cannot listen to music at any sort of volume these days, but I was able to enjoy a perceived louder volume without pain in this setup.

The above I can guarantee as the presence or absence of pain isn't easily confused, the following impressions may or may not be placebo:

I felt the music may have had more energy and been generally more engaging.  This was actually particularly true with the phonaks, which in this setup had mids and highs that blew the yamaha iems away (lively and crisp), something that was not so significant when I compared these iems out of a cowon pmp or the o2 amp.  The lcd-2s sounded to me a little more open, and responded well to eqing the bass (which they certainly don't from the o2 amp).  Normally to listen to the lcd-2 for any length of time I have to significantly eq down the highs, particularly 12khz.  I enjoyed the lcd-2 uneq'd alot in this setup, it was immediately obvious that I was listening to music in the highest quality that I had yet heard.

Yes I had some pretty sensitive headphones connected to the taps of this 100WPC amp, the arcam has volume controller with fine steps which made this possible.  I didnt't use resistors.  There was a noise issue with all these headphones, though with the lcd-2 it was barely audible without music and completely inaudible once music was playing.

What I took away from all this is more of an idea of how much an amp can affect the sound.  Highs became so much more listenable, and I definitely wouldn't say it was because they were less present.  I have a feeling the DAC makes a bigger difference though, as when I remove the dacmagic out the chain and use onboard laptop DAC, the sound degrades considerably more so than the amp switch improved it.  The dacmagic isn't a great DAC either.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3,527 of 3,819
Interesting, you are able to run pfe 012 iem, ehp-100 iem and ue6000 on speaker tabs?

Can you please post amplifier specs

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3,528 of 3,819
100 WPC @ 8 ohms.  More detailed specs can be found online, it's the Arcam alpha 10 integrated amp.

The more sensitive headphones were set to one or two notches out of the many available (60+ I think?) and played too loud for me to listen for long.  Not practical for daily usem a resistor network of some sort would be needed.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3,529 of 3,819
Would like to seek help/advise from experts here especially those owned Robinette Box. I just completed the box but with some variance on value of resistor used (more attenuation) and XLR input instead of binding posts. I used this box for my HE-500, Topping TP60 & Topping TP22. 
The box works perfectly on TP60 with no noise and no loss of SQ (both Bypass and Resistor mode, at least to my ears) at balanced output and single-ended output. I didn't try balanced output with single-ended headphone (SE2BAL) as TP60 confirmed is SE amp, the L- & R- are grounded. If you don't trust multimeter, open the case and study the PCB)
Topping TP22, which using TK2050 balanced amp (L- & R- separated), has no issue on balanced output, no noise at all, either on Bypass or Resistor mode (but bypass mode sound better with HE500). However, i heard hissing in SE2BAL mode (HE-500 with stock cable or custom cable with additional XLR to TRS adapter), Consulted Rob and he advice me to change R5 resistor from 10 ohms (for SE headphone to use safely on balanced amp) to larger value like 30-50 ohms. I try 30 ohms but still no luck. It could be the problem with the value of resistor or my TP22 as Rob have no hiss on his TA2024. (Hopefully it is the problem with resistor as TK2050 is double the power of TA2024)
So would like to seek some advice from the experts here on which resistor value can eliminate the hiss so that i don't have to buy resistors with different values for trial and error.

thanks

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,530 of 3,819
The TK2050 should never be used with singled ended headphones, simple as that. No finagling of resistors will magically create a "ground" from the two negatives.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #3,531 of 3,819
  The TK2050 should never be used with singled ended headphones, simple as that. No finagling of resistors will magically create a "ground" from the two negatives.

That goes for any of the Tripath internally bridged chips as well.

It still does come up from time to time here and elsewhere that using a high watt power resistor is viable for single ended on these amps. I simply have never seen a living example of it working.

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #3,534 of 3,819
The problem was with the all in one unit (o2/odac), which may not have had an output from the DAC that bypassed the amp stage.  If you have a line out from any kind of DAC you are fine.

The combo unit has a line out, it's just not documented well. The "input" jack at the right of the face actually functions as a line-out for the combined unit when the ODAC is in use. When the ODAC is not in use that jack becomes an input.

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #3,535 of 3,819

Though the box is not perfect (in my case) but the hiss can only be heard at zero volume, and it is kind of 'weak' noise. I can live with it. Anyway, i still use balanced mode without any problem, so this Single ended headphone on balanced amp is just for testing.

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #3,536 of 3,819

That goes for any of the Tripath internally bridged chips as well.

It still does come up from time to time here and elsewhere that using a high watt power resistor is viable for single ended on these amps. I simply have never seen a living example of it working.

Yup. Not just Tripath either.

The resistor config is only barely passable if the negative terminals are "sort of but not really" ground, but on amps with differential/balanced* output you're just asking for trouble.

*where the - terminal is inverted from the +

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,537 of 3,819
^What could happen? The load will be no lower than 8 ohm after all.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #3,539 of 3,819
^What could happen? The load will be no lower than 8 ohm after all.

A couple things come to mind... there may be DC offset between the L- and R- channels, and the outputs may sum to be something higher than either the headphone or the + channels can handle.

edit: plus the sound is going to be utterly borked

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #3,540 of 3,819

A couple things come to mind... there may be DC offset between the L- and R- channels, and the outputs may sum to be something higher than either the headphone or the + channels can handle.

edit: plus the sound is going to be utterly borked

None to healthy for the amp either. The 2050 runs hot as a pistol as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back