HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Apr 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #3,496 of 3,819

Does your O2/ODAC combo have a Line-Out or just the Headphone out?

And you say coaxial...what exactly do you mean by that?  You need to feed the A-100 an analog signal via 2 RCA's (Red and White cable).

A direct dac-out or line-out would be the best way to pass the signal to the amp, skipping the internal amp in the O2 (and avoiding dual amping).  But going from the 3.5mm to dual RCA would still work.  You would essentially be using the O2 in a sort of 'pre-amp' fashion where the volume would be controlled by both the O2 and A-100.

I'm doing something similar at the moment where I have the Line-Out on my Matrix M-Stage going to the input on the A-100.  I just set the A-100 to about 9 o'clock on the pot and control the volume via the M-Stage.  Works well.  As I mentioned, a Line-Out would be better than the headphone out if it is a possibility.

It just has the headphone out :frowning2: I knew as soon as I recieved it that I should have gotten the O2 and ODAC separately. I have read about people having success using the O2 as a preamp, so I figured it probably would work. And yeah, by coaxial I meant RCA, sorry for the confusion. If people recommend against it, I do have my trusty FiiO E10 which is still IMO a respectable DAC and does have a dedicated line out as well as a coaxial out, so all I'd need is a pretty inexpensive coaxial to RCA adaptor and I'd be off to the races...at least until I decide to pull the trigger on a fancy new DAC.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #3,497 of 3,819
I had Emotiva mini x A 100 for 2 months, I have no experiencing hiss or deap noise. But my friend advice me to put resistor to improve sond quality. 
It makes no sense to me in terms I read and search but let me ask you about this issue. 

Putting resistor can improve SQ ? 

Is it better to put resistor ? 

If yes which ohms should I use ? 

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #3,498 of 3,819
Resistors are typically used to take down gain/lower the noise floor.  I don't know the amp in question but if you don't have issues with volume control or excessive noise then you don't need a resistor.  Anything you add to the chain can only degrade the signal.  A resistor at room temperature generates its own thermal noise, though in the audible spectrum it's so limited it can be ignored if after the gain stage.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,499 of 3,819
  Resistors are typically used to take down gain/lower the noise floor.  I don't know the amp in question but if you don't have issues with volume control or excessive noise then you don't need a resistor.  Anything you add to the chain can only degrade the signal.  A resistor at room temperature generates its own thermal noise, though in the audible spectrum it's so limited it can be ignored if after the gain stage.

The amp is Emotiva Mini X A 100.

I have no volume control problem (yes it is sensitive but managable) and no hiss.

Thanks for your answer, so don't need resistor. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #3,500 of 3,819
I use my mini-x with a DAC that has volume control (AGD NFB 15.32)

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3,501 of 3,819
I dont think a resistor will improve SQ. actually, the emotiva tend to sound a little sharp when volume is turned past 11 o'clock when the mini-x is attenuated by other means.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #3,503 of 3,819
This does look really bad. I just want to make sure everyone knows that I have no connection to brunk's Robinette Box build other than I designed it and offered it up to the community as Open Hardware. Several people asked me to build one for them and I referred them to brunk because he had said he would build them for payment. brunk's reputation seemed to be very strong on head-fi so his apparent disappearance after taking orders and money is strange and unexpected.

Does anyone know brunk's actual identity or his physical address? Moderators, is there anything you can do to help? I don't know how people who ordered from brunk paid him but keep an eye on the date limits for contesting transactions. You may lose the option of a refund if you wait too long to file a complaint.

Rob Robinette

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #3,504 of 3,819
^. I tried using the dispute resolution via Paypal. While my dispute has been registered, I've also received a message recommending I work it out with the seller. We are trying to reach out to him but there seems to be no response.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #3,505 of 3,819
Well, there are some results if you search for his full name (at least the name that appears on Paypal) on Google. Including one of a guy getting married in a few days. But I've never seen him and don't know where he lives, so I can't say if it is indeed him.

I really hope things are fine and I get my Robinette box or my money back...

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,506 of 3,819
  This does look really bad. I just want to make sure everyone knows that I have no connection to brunk's Robinette Box build other than I designed it and offered it up to the community as Open Hardware. Several people asked me to build one for them and I referred them to brunk because he had said he would build them for payment. brunk's reputation seemed to be very strong on head-fi so his apparent disappearance after taking orders and money is strange and unexpected.

Does anyone know brunk's actual identity or his physical address? Moderators, is there anything you can do to help? I don't know how people who ordered from brunk paid him but keep an eye on the date limits for contesting transactions. You may lose the option of a refund if you wait too long to file a complaint.

Rob Robinette

Ya I was concerned about that too.  According to PayPal:

If you wish to open a Dispute through PayPal's Online Resolution Centre you must do so within 45 Days of making your payment.

So we may potentially be past that point if this holds true.

Hopefully Brunk just got caught up with last minute wedding stuff and will be back soon (if the guy themad found is him)...:)

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3,507 of 3,819
Dont worry guys, Paypal always sides with the buyer and youll get your money back. Itll just take a bit of time and youll have to submit the claim. Unless it has been past their 45 or 60 days (which ever it is)... In which case call Paypal and tell them the story.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #3,508 of 3,819
In my case it has been more than 60 days and probably that is the case for many others.

I think it might be of help to gather names (Paypal addresses) of all the payers and send that info to Paypal. This way they might see there's a group of people with the same problem and help on their analysis and decision.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,509 of 3,819
  Well, there are some results if you search for his full name (at least the name that appears on Paypal) on Google. Including one of a guy getting married in a few days. But I've never seen him and don't know where he lives, so I can't say if it is indeed him.

I really hope things are fine and I get my Robinette box or my money back...

https://www.facebook.com/ajbrunkhorst/about

I think "brunk" is a very strong candidate to match the profile above...?

Leonel

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3,510 of 3,819

Rob Robinette

Guys, just FYI, since someone reported this: People aren't supposed to be building stuff for profit on here without informing a moderator, as that would make them a Member of the Trade under our Terms of Service: http://head-fi.org/a/terms-of-service. Not to mention, as reputable as a person may be, when overwhelmed with requests for something, they can very well fall apart or panic, or something happens to them, which leads to this kind of situation.  This is one of the reasons we no longer allow group buys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back