HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
May 21, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #3,556 of 3,819
  Can anyone weigh in on the matching power of the Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (2012 version with LM4562  with the He-500s?  I am specifically looking at this unit which is currently on e-bay.  If it is a good match I wouldn't mind purchasing it, but I would like to be sure of its performance with the He-500s in comparison with the Emotiva mini-x.  Here is the unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-M-Stage-Headphone-Amplifier-LM4562-Ships-from-USA-/161307853328

Thanks

Personally I would pick the Emotiva. The M-stage has got enough juice to power the HE-500, but not at its full potential. The Emotiva will give you more dynamics, bass slam and impact.

May 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,557 of 3,819

Can anyone weigh in on the matching power of the Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (2012 version with LM4562  with the He-500s?  I am specifically looking at this unit which is currently on e-bay.  If it is a good match I wouldn't mind purchasing it, but I would like to be sure of its performance with the He-500s in comparison with the Emotiva mini-x.  Here is the unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-M-Stage-Headphone-Amplifier-LM4562-Ships-from-USA-/161307853328

Thanks

Personally I would pick the Emotiva. The M-stage has got enough juice to power the HE-500, but not at its full potential. The Emotiva will give you more dynamics, bass slam and impact.

I've got them both and agree with this. If you're looking for something specifically for the HE-500 emotiva for sure. Better sound. If you want a more all around, the M-stage is a jack of all trades. 

May 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #3,558 of 3,819

I've got them both and agree with this. If you're looking for something specifically for the HE-500 emotiva for sure. Better sound. If you want a more all around, the M-stage is a jack of all trades. 

daerron and elwapp99:  The Emotiva it is then.  Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

May 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #3,559 of 3,819
Hi all, I've a little problem with this amp, when I plug/unplug any device into one of the wall outlets in the same room I hear a buzzing / cracking sound through this amp which is passing on to the he-500s. I noticed if I use a square multi plug in the wall outlet the amp is connected to, and tap on it whilst the amp is on, the headphones crackle. It's like a BzzzzBrzzzzZzzzz sound.

Is this normal?

May 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #3,560 of 3,819
Hi all, I've a little problem with this amp, when I plug/unplug any device into one of the wall outlets in the same room I hear a buzzing / cracking sound through this amp which is passing on to the he-500s. I noticed if I use a square multi plug in the wall outlet the amp is connected to, and tap on it whilst the amp is on, the headphones crackle. It's like a BzzzzBrzzzzZzzzz sound.

Is this normal?

You probably have a ground loop. I had the same problem a while ago. a ground loop isolator will fix your problem if that's the case.

If you're connected to a computer, it might be noise generated from your usb port. 

May 23, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #3,561 of 3,819
You probably have a ground loop. I had the same problem a while ago. a ground loop isolator will fix your problem if that's the case.

If you're connected to a computer, it might be noise generated from your usb port. 

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's not related to the computer as it happens with just the amp and headphones plugged in to the wall, I unplugged everything else to see if the pc was the cause.

I found If the wall plug is the slightest bit loose it sends feedback through the amp producing the horrid noise, I can't see how it is ground loop as the noise only happens for a few seconds at a time??. I've found by plugging in a device into the wall socket on the same oulet (two outlets in the same room), such as the pc monitor, only when contact is being made in the socket the noise occurs, once the plug is sealed the noise stops.

Also I have all my devices connected through a tacima power conditioner - which seems to do nothing to help.

What's really annoying me is once in a while the noise appears at random without me touching the wall plugs.

May 23, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,562 of 3,819
This question has probably been addressed in the thread, but has anyone tried the Mini-x A-100 with the Hifiman He-6, and if so, could you let me know how well that went? I have the both the He-500 and the mini-x A-100 now, but also have the He-6 on my wish list.  Having read about how hard the He-6 is to drive, I would like to be ready when I get it. Any helpful ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

May 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,563 of 3,819
This question has probably been addressed in the thread, but has anyone tried the Mini-x A-100 with the Hifiman He-6, and if so, could you let me know how well that went? I have the both the He-500 and the mini-x A-100 now, but also have the He-6 on my wish list.  Having read about how hard the He-6 is to drive, I would like to be ready when I get it. Any helpful ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

If you want a speaker amp/integrated receiver check out the HE 6 thread. Great stuff about using speaker amps for the 6. Some of the folks out there believe in overamping and that will slim your wallet pretty quickly and drastically :smile:

May 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,564 of 3,819

Afaik the HE-6 works with the Mini-X, but the synergy with the HE-500 is said to be better than the HE-6. For the HE-6 I'd look at something like a First Watt F5 clone.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3,565 of 3,819
Here's a basic layout for a speaker tap to headphone adapter for the Mini-X:

Basic Speaker Amp to Headphone Adapter - Single Ended TRS

Speaker_to_Headphone_Attenuator_TRS.png

This type of adapter is only for amplifiers that have their negative speaker terminals tied together (common ground) like the Mini-X.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #3,566 of 3,819
not sure this is the right place to post this question, but it's on-topic, so i'll give it a go.

i just built a very simple headphone adapter box, based on rob's schematic posted above. i used R2 and R3 of 6ohm and 2ohm, respectively. it's hooked up to a pair of 8W tube monoblock amps, the old antique sound lab wave.

when i connect it to my iFi nano iDSD outputs, there is a lot of noise/hum. so much so that it's not useable. however, when it is connected straight out of my iMac via a 1/8" to RCA cable to the amps, it is quiet and the sound is fantastic with my HD800. 

question: any idea why it is so noisy when connected to the iDSD? the setup i have is iMac -> iUSB power -> nano iDSD -> amp -> adapter box -> headphones

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #3,567 of 3,819
^Grounding issues, ground loops, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back