HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Mar 11, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #3,316 of 3,819
I recently got my HE-500s (4 days) as an upgrade from the 598s and they are absolutely stunning. Just miles ahead of the 598s in my opinion. As of right now, I am using them with the E17 and they sound pretty good (using +6 Bass) but I know there's room for improvement. I was planning on upgrading to the Magni and Modi stack but I came across this thread and have been looking into the Emotiva's.

So naturally, I have a few questions regarding the setup of the amp. I am planning on doing the no soldering technique for the speaker taps as I have no idea how to make a wire myself. 

So far, I have looked at the following items from the guide posted by Sonido;

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000068O5D/ (To cennect the two mono speaker plugs to)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191091480487 (Speaker taps)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9299&seq=1&format=2 (for the input from a DAC, I assume)

Also, would using an E17 as a DAC work in this case by using the monoprice cable listed? Will I notice a significant loss in SQ? My budget is a little tight and if I would notice a big difference, I might as well get the M/M stack which will cost less than the Emotiva plus the cost of extra adapters. 

I also wanted to ask if there are any risks with using the Emotiva with the HE-500s.

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #3,317 of 3,819
You want a fiio l7 as well

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #3,318 of 3,819
You want a fiio l7 as well

I looked it up and, with that the DAC is essentially just a music transmitter but the settings on the E17 don't affect the sound I assume?

Would sound be affected a lot if I were not to do that? The L7 is around 25-30 shipped to Canada so it's just adding more to my already strict budget. 

Also, does the setup I posted look correct?

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #3,319 of 3,819
Just reading through this threads 200+ pages; it's like a goldmine for HE-500 users. Thanks to all for the shared knowledge!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #3,320 of 3,819
  Just reading through this threads 200+ pages; it's like a goldmine for HE-500 users. Thanks to all for the shared knowledge!

smily_headphones1.gif

Know what's a goldmine? The used prices for the HE-500.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #3,322 of 3,819
Hi IwasDerp,

I am basically in the same position as you! I believe you need a L7 in order to connect the output of the FiiO E17 to the emotiva. The L7 allows you to use the E17 as a standalone DAC, bypassing the amp portion. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #3,323 of 3,819
  Hi IwasDerp,

I am basically in the same position as you! I believe you need a L7 in order to connect the output of the FiiO E17 to the emotiva. The L7 allows you to use the E17 as a standalone DAC, bypassing the amp portion. 

Ah ok, I understand. Thanks! 

Planning on getting the Emotiva by the end of the Month. Hopefully the setup I posted in my previous comment is correct. 

Also, I would really like to know how big of a difference the Emotiva would be over the E17.

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #3,324 of 3,819
Ah ok, I understand. Thanks! 

Planning on getting the Emotiva by the end of the Month. Hopefully the setup I posted in my previous comment is correct. 

Also, I would really like to know how big of a difference the Emotiva would be over the E17.
Koiloco would be the one I ask for that. Though I suspect it will be a very drastic improvement.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #3,326 of 3,819
Thanks, I PM'd him. Also, if you have any experience, or from your knowledge, how would you compare the M/M stack (my prior choice) to the Emotiva Mini-X?
Based on what I've read the magni doesn't provide enough power. I've heard bass and dynamics are the most to change when upgrading from the magni and everyone appreciated the upgrade.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3,327 of 3,819
It's not that the Magni doesn't have enough power, it's just that its sound signature is on the leaner side, so people assume when they upgrade to something that sounds a little thicker in the bass it must be the extra power that's providing the bigger bass.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #3,328 of 3,819
It's not that the Magni doesn't have enough power, it's just that its sound signature is on the leaner side, so people assume when they upgrade to something that sounds a little thicker in the bass it must be the extra power that's providing the bigger bass.
Then explain the dynamics. The magni provides way less current id assume.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #3,329 of 3,819
Through my stay on Head-fi I've learned that people don't really know what they're talking about when they talk of dynamics.  I won't even talk about dynamics when I compare/contrast hardware.  Dynamics is like that word transparency-- everybody has a different definition for it. Either way it's not a power issue but a refinement issue with the Magni.  Headphones only require mere mW of power.

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #3,330 of 3,819
Dynamics is more of a variable description between users but I would call a headphone dynamic when it has all good properties of sound and not really lacking, it's got the low end bass, mid bass, treble, highs, mids, prat musical and coloured sounding to have the user enjoy the sound. A headphone that is bright sounding, lacking in bass or mids or treble I would call brittle sounding, opposite to dynamic.

Another example use of dynamic I would use is describing the transient response of complex passages where bass is present be it EDM or the lows from an organ from a classical piece, the attack and decay of it and how well it dynamically fits in with the rest of the sound spectrum of multiple rendered layers of sound or multiple instrument pieces in the same piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back