HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Feb 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #3,286 of 3,819
I've used a demon avr2808ci and it sounds great. Somewhat warm sound.

How does your denon compare to your emotiva in terms of sq and volume control?

Yea the noise floor on my newer yamaha rx-v373 is VERY low, no noise no hiss even at very low volumes. I almost as much play in the volume knob as i do with speakers hooked up, so more than enough to listen at very low levels.

As a matter of fact I CAN HOOK UP MY JH13'S TO THE SPEAKER TAP ADAPTER AND STILL GET CONSIDERABLE VOLUME CONTROL!! but the hiss was loud and annoying. I know, to even try was crazy. BUT to all of those who say that speaker amps will blow hps, quit breaking the cardinal rule of head-fi by commenting on things you havent heard/tried. Not that i am recommending IEM's to speaker taps. I would actually advise against it. Doesn't add any benefits, hiss is loud, and different amps act differently and have different power outputs. Pops or other loud noises could potentialy blow some ear drums and cause considerable hearing damage with the wrong amp.

Headphones on the other hand, my 150ohm hd700's handle my avr's power just fine straight off the speaker taps.

But with my full size hp's my 90's onkyo avr has considerable hiss and noise, where the yamaha doesn't have any.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,287 of 3,819

I've used a demon avr2808ci and it sounds great. Somewhat warm sound.

How does your denon compare to your emotiva in terms of sq and volume control?

In terms of VOLUME control, I actually have more room on the Denon. A lot more room...

In terms of SQ however, I cannot comment accurately so take it with a grain of salt. Last time I heard it was a long time ago now, and what I remember being the main difference was that the Denon was warmer sounding and POSSIBLY even a little better sounding (now this could be in terms of FR or anything else, I cannot say). HOWEVER, the Emotiva definitely has some special qualities that I would miss if I had the Denon--mainly being that "lively" sound signauture that everyone comments on. You can't really point out what makes it sound this way, but over time you notice it more and more and it becomes more and more significant (kind of how like when you remove the grills and can't say what makes it sound better, or can't even notice an immediate difference, but after long term listening you notice an overall improvement).

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #3,288 of 3,819
  In terms of VOLUME control, I actually have more room on the Denon. A lot more room...

In terms of SQ however, I cannot comment accurately so take it with a grain of salt. Last time I heard it was a long time ago now, and what I remember being the main difference was that the Denon was warmer sounding and POSSIBLY even a little better sounding (now this could be in terms of FR or anything else, I cannot say). HOWEVER, the Emotiva definitely has some special qualities that I would miss if I had the Denon--mainly being that "lively" sound signauture that everyone comments on. You can't really point out what makes it sound this way, but over time you notice it more and more and it becomes more and more significant (kind of how like when you remove the grills and can't say what makes it sound better, or can't even notice an immediate difference, but after long term listening you notice an overall improvement).

That tells you the pwr rating on the Denon might not be 100% accurate. 
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,289 of 3,819
  That tells you the pwr rating on the Denon might not be 100% accurate. 
wink.gif

Or maybe it has much more attenuation built into the volume pot? IDK...

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,290 of 3,819

You were using speaker taps on both amps.  Assuming that both volume knobs are linear, this means that the Denon is not or much less than 50wpc.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,291 of 3,819

You were using speaker taps on both amps.  Assuming that both volume knobs are linear, this means that the Denon is not or much less than 50wpc.

I guess so. Either way, it still sounded great.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #3,292 of 3,819

I guess so. Either way, it still sounded great.

Yup! I was just pointing out the common overrating of pwr output in integrated receivers these days.  What is your Denon's pwr rating per channel?  75? 100?

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #3,293 of 3,819

Yup! I was just pointing out the common overrating of pwr output in integrated receivers these days.  What is your Denon's pwr rating per channel?  75? 100?

"110 watts x 7 channels"

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3,295 of 3,819

That tells you the pwr rating on the Denon might not be 100% accurate.  :wink:

It tells nothing really.. The gain might be lower, the volume pot might be different, who knows..

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3,296 of 3,819
It tells nothing really.. The gain might be lower, the volume pot might be different, who knows..

That's what I'm assuming

OT, but does anyone have any impression or idea as to if the Martin Logan Mikros 90 is any good? The thread is filled with hype and I can't make a definite call on anything really about them... I'm planning on making the stratoKOSSter or get those--whichever wins.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #3,297 of 3,819

That's what I'm assuming

OT, but does anyone have any impression or idea as to if the Martin Logan Mikros 90 is any good? The thread is filled with hype and I can't make a definite call on anything really about them... I'm planning on making the stratoKOSSter or get those--whichever wins.

Diy electrostat 
wink.gif

If I had to mention 10 things I'd want to achieve in my life, one of them would be making my own electrostat ear speaker. So much OT...

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #3,299 of 3,819
  so how exactly does the HD650 sound like using this speaker amp? is it as dynamic and fast just like when using tube amps? more alive? or something similar along those lines?

I have never tried it as I only use my HD-650's with my Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball, but from what I have heard the Emotiva mini-X a-100 doesnt do anything special for high impedance cans.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #3,300 of 3,819
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321088173683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Will this work? if I chopp off the RCA connectors and add banana plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back