HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Mar 17, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #3,348 of 3,819
  So do you recommend the Mini-X over the T60? I'm thinking about getting a speaker amp for my He-500's

No the Topping easily trumps the mini-x. The mini-x has more low end grunt, but that's about where it ends compared to the Topping

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #3,349 of 3,819

Starting to enjoy the mini-x, but I know when I change back to the Topping I'll be blown away, again

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,351 of 3,819
They both are an improvement on the AGD expecially at presenting bass

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3,352 of 3,819
  No the Topping easily trumps the mini-x. The mini-x has more low end grunt, but that's about where it ends compared to the Topping

This is why our hobby is so subjective.  I would state that IMO, it's clearly the other way around.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #3,353 of 3,819
  In my mind the Mini-X was going to be an improvement over the Topping, to my ears there is much more refinement in the sound, especially with the mids and highs

Actually this made me really curious in the Topping
I agree with the HE-500 having lots of low end grunt with the mini-x, but it's lacking in the highs a bit... totally agree
So if the Topping can add that final refinement that would be insanely great 

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #3,354 of 3,819
  This is why our hobby is so subjective.  I would state that IMO, it's clearly the other way around.

You've compared both at the same time? But It is a subjective hobby so everyone can hears things so differently. I've been going backwards and forward with the Topping compared to the min-x and the mini-x does have a meatier low end but less clarity and refinement up above where it sounds cleaner. Still early days impressions though, I'll have a good listen to the min-x before going back to the Topping

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #3,355 of 3,819
  You've compared both at the same time? But It is a subjective hobby so everyone can hears things so differently. I've been going backwards and forward with the Topping compared to the min-x and the mini-x does have a meatier low end but less clarity and refinement up above where it sounds cleaner. Still early days impressions though, I'll have a good listen to the min-x before going back to the Topping

what pads r u using?  I am on Jergpads so that might make some subjective differences too.  I didn't get to compare the 2 amps with stock pads.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3,356 of 3,819
  what pads r u using?  I am on Jergpads so that might make some subjective differences too.  I didn't get to compare the 2 amps with stock pads.

I've used both the stock pleather and stock velour pads. Both sound better with the velours IMO

I'm adamant now that I've gone backwards and forwards enough that I can clearly hear that the Topping has a much cleaner sound in the mids and highs and even has a better controlled bass although a bit less extended than the mini-x. The Topping also presents more details, where certain sounds in the Topping which are clear, are harder to pick out on the mini-x. Take that with a grain of salt in this highly subjective hobby

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3,357 of 3,819
  Starting to enjoy the mini-x, but I know when I change back to the Topping I'll be blown away, again

Before I had the Mini, I was using O2 w/ the 500s. It took me a week or two to get used to the sound. At first they seemed even. After a month it was a no contest and I really started to dig that combo. Although after a year of having it and having tried many other speaker amps, the Emo just couldn't keep up. Although at it's $200 price, I haven't found a better pairing for it with HE-500 or LCD-2.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3,358 of 3,819
When I use the Modi with the emotiva I can definitely say it is a quite bright combo (especially with jergpads).

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #3,360 of 3,819
  Emotiva is bright? wouldn't have thunk dat
But then again HE-500 is the only headphone I've tried with it

It is a bright amp. That's why 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back