HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Feb 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #3,137 of 3,819
  Here's an updated chart, it's part of my Headphone Network Calculator Spreadsheet:

Ah ha! Now thats just the amount of laziness I was looking for :D

Now, aside from having hopefully A LOT more play in the volume knob range when using the front mounted TRS jack, what might be a problem from attenuating an amplifier say 25dB or more? Anything? Or will it just be a reduced output level giving me the desired more play in the volume knob?

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,138 of 3,819
Well they told me 10k

I politely challenged Emotiva on this (after I crudely measured mine to be ~8k) and they did confirm that their measurements (made upon my request for clarification) as well as the schematics indicated 10k.  So, 10k it is, for sure.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #3,140 of 3,819
I installed my jack on the front, but after using a couple different braided/twisted wires, I am experiencing a ground loop issue which is pretty noticeable after 12 on the volume dial. When I unhook the front jack and go back to the external banana plugs the issue goes nearly away at all but the highest volumes. It seems the wire is picking up interference.

Will resistors help with this issue, can I simply install them on the back between terminals? (safety is not an issue) What size for HE-500? I am a novice at this stuff.

I won't be using the front jack until I can solve the issue, thanks guys.....

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #3,141 of 3,819
The amp transformer is at the front part of the amp. The jack wires may be too close to it and picking up the transformer electrical magmatic field. If you can not move the wires any more I might try wiring with a metal braided shield. Twisting the jack wires all the way to the front may help.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,142 of 3,819
Use shielded cable such as mogami quad and try to keep the cable away to either far left or far right.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #3,145 of 3,819
  Oh yea guys, go with the 220ohm 5W 1% inline resistors for attenuation! Listening levels are now around 12 o'clock on the volume knob.

Using resistors, is there any downside?... worse SQ? higher noise floor? Anything?

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #3,147 of 3,819
So...there's no reason not to then?

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #3,148 of 3,819

Using resistors, is there any downside?... worse SQ? higher noise floor? Anything?

Yea it actually LOWERS the noise floor and thats why people started doing it with this amp when using it to drive headphones. I also have an adapter cable made so that I can switch back and forth between the un-attenuated speaker terminals and my front mounted attenuated TRS jack and other than the huge difference in volume knob play and noise floor I cant tell any difference. Im planning on doing a DIY write up on the whole procedure but probably wont get to it for a couple weeks as Im still waiting for one last part to come in and its coming from China.

So...there's no reason not to then?

Pretty much none IMO.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #3,149 of 3,819
Well no issues as long as you use planars.. With dynamics you can encounter problems with the damping factor etc.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #3,150 of 3,819
Well no issues as long as you use planars.. With dynamics you can encounter problems with the damping factor etc.

Well yeah, that's what I figured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back