HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Jan 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #3,106 of 3,819
I never got a welcoming post. Hmpf.

I'd like to be critical, though. I have enough experience in amplifiers to say that the mini x isn't the last word in amplification, but it does pretty darn nice!

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,107 of 3,819
  I never got a welcoming post. Hmpf.

You don't deserve it. We know what you get up to at night.

biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #3,108 of 3,819

You don't deserve it. We know what you get up to at night.

biggrin.gif

Please enlighten me on this very, very serious matter as long as it has nothing to do with stax. I will try to be a better person, I promise!

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #3,110 of 3,819
Beats and emotiva mini x.. Dat bass!! 11 o'clock all the way!

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #3,111 of 3,819
Awww wish I back home listening to my setup

Cant get past 9 o clock on the emotiva LOL, its powerfulllll

Just curious: ive accidently disconnected my source a few times while playing music before switching off amp, any potential damage to the headphones or amp? Can there be subtle damage or would it be really obvious sonically that theres damage? Hope my babies are in tip top condition

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #3,112 of 3,819
I doubt it could be damaging anything. Leaving headphones in while switching the amp on/off could potentially

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #3,114 of 3,819
I doubt it could be damaging anything. Leaving headphones in while switching the amp on/off could potentially

Oh damnnnnnn
So turning off the amp first would damage your headphones ugh. So unplug then switch off? Got it lol
Surprised I dont know this basic info lol
Any potential damage? Or would it be really obvious if there was damage to the phones?

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #3,116 of 3,819

Oh damnnnnnn
So turning off the amp first would damage your headphones ugh. So unplug then switch off? Got it lol
Surprised I dont know this basic info lol
Any potential damage? Or would it be really obvious if there was damage to the phones?

It's always a good idea to unplug the headphone before turning off the amp (especially when you are using speaker amps), but the least you should do is zero the volume.
Personally, I have disabled the auto standby, as it makes a loud tick in my heapdhone on turn on and a plop on power off. I am not comfortable with that, and therefore I also unplug before turn off/on, despite using the he-5le (which requires double the dough to play compared to HE-500).

You actually hit 11 o'clock with any HP on the Emotiva? Dude, your eardrums ouch !

Let's keep it at speculations 
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #3,117 of 3,819
The Emotiva does have start up protection as it mutes the output for a short period. Good practice is to always reset your volume to zero before switching your amp on and off.

I usually lower the knob to zero before I turn on and off. I do leave my headphones plugged in though

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #3,119 of 3,819
Right now I am wondering how it is that I haven't heard the background hiss until now. It is quite substantial, and I am wondering whether it was even there in the beginning. Hiss, even with the HE-5le.. 
Actually, I don't think it could've been there from the beginning.

This makes me quite sad.

EDIT: It seems my hearing is much more sensitive today, the volume control sits much lower.. Wth is happening to my hearing, lol?? I don't even cross 9 o'clock on my x-can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back