HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Jan 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #3,076 of 3,819
I am wondering how to simply lower the gain in the emotiva. That'd be quite neat

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #3,080 of 3,819
 I just hooked my LCD-3 to the mini-X. I cannot get past 7-8 pm on the dial. The mids are more forward now and the bass sounded a bit recessed. Switched to the LCD-XC and while soundstage is slightly reduced, the lower end extends more and a bit more slam. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #3,081 of 3,819
  This is just an incredible pairing...

Does that mean you like the combo?  
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,082 of 3,819
  Does that mean you like the combo?  
biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Some initial thoughts (but no surprises here):
-I finally know what headroom means, before I was just imagining.
-Consequently the soundstage also sounds more open.
-Drums sound more organic.
-Instrument layering is impressive in terms of imagining.

Just a few thoughts in my brief time with the emotiva mini + HE500s. I will say that the integrated amp on the DA8 is pretty impressive. Very similar to what the emotiva is doing, just a couple notches down.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,083 of 3,819
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #3,084 of 3,819
  At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.

From my post on the other thread:
"LOL trust me, he's probably just never heard open-back ORTHO headphones :p
Using the emotiva the loudest i'd go would be around 10:00 on vinyl rips and about 8:00-9:00 on most dynamically compressed songs"

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #3,085 of 3,819
  From my post on the other thread:
"LOL trust me, he's probably just never heard open-back ORTHO headphones :p
Using the emotiva the loudest i'd go would be around 10:00 on vinyl rips and about 8:00-9:00 on most dynamically compressed songs"

Same. Somewhere between 8-9. Sometimes up to 10-11 on the vinyl rips as well.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,088 of 3,819
Been using my PJCCS upgraded Quickie with my Emotiva and HE-500 today. Honestly, it's supposed to sound like crap on paper due to the crappy 1/2.5 preamp to amp impedance matching ratio, but it's not sounding bad at all. I actually still prefer it in the chain than Emotiva alone. I've read there should be some major bass roll-off due to that ratio, but it's pretty much the same amount of bass, maybe even slightly more. It's possibly the bass boost the PJCCS upgrade gave negated bass roll-offs from the ratio. Can't really remember how it compared with stock Quickie from before, but I don't think it's any worse. I know the PJCCS definitely helped in bass impact with the HD800 and Crack which has a 100K input impedance so there's no ratio mismatch. I guess this just goes to show you have to listen to everything in person, than to trust what's on paper alone.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #3,090 of 3,819
My emotiva makes a pop when it goes into standby mode with my 5le's connected. Even worse, when turning on from standby mode it makes an uncomfortably loud 'tick' sound. Have not heard anyone complaining over that yet. I would really like not to send the emo in for repair, as that'll be pretty darn expensive, but it annoys me quite a lot that emotiva send out a unit that seemingly has potential to damage speakers/headphones upon turn off. I'd be okay with it if I could disable the standby mode and just unplug the headphones before turn off, but I suppose I can't. Am a little dissappointed.

EDIT: Well, the power mode switch set to on will have the emo always on. Then I am only ever so slightly dissappointed after all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back