HD800 vs. Koss Porta Pro
Jun 8, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #47 of 117
Hi. I'm still a bit of a noob around here. Uhm, has anyone compared a PortaPro with wood cups to the HD800? Other high-end phones? I think that would level the playing field somewhat.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #48 of 117
Portapro with wood cups??
eek.gif

I refuse to believe it. Unless proven with some pictures.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #53 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why people consider the Koss PORTAPRO a good headphone. Almost every bass note and kick drum sounds like fart to my ears.

That is really awkward... Might want to check and see if hair is touching the driver.

The Porta Pro is defiantly not a band-pass box car audio subwoofer system with an amplifier being driven severely into clipping.

The Porta Pro drivers can be lifted from your ears ever so slightly via the comfort system on board that cuts the bass down a little.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #54 of 117
I like seemingly absurd mind games such as the thread topic. It seems that the OP is serious about it, so why not play the game according to his rules? It's a pity that many believe to be undoubtedly right with their mainstream opinion and therefore allowed to be sarcastic. That's what ruins many potentially interesting threads.

As much as I liked the PortaPro years ago, I for one don't consider it a serious contender for high-end headphones. Its detail and resolution are too limited to my ears. Even under the reservation of a minor improvement by recabling, I don't see the potential to rival headphones of the class of HD 595, HD 600, HD 650, K 701 or the various Stax electrostats. And although I haven't heard the HD 800, I'm confident to say that there's no contest if you're into high fidelity or have audiophile demands. I even prefer the PX 100 in many aspects, not to speak of the ER-4P or the Audéo, which provide another level of refinement and resolution. That's why the PortaPro gets no use at all these days.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #55 of 117
The Porta Pro' main rival IS the PX100 - IMHO. While the Grado SR60 might possibly be better to some, it is worse to others. As far as it being a portable, the SR60 leaks more and fits your head more like something non-portable.

The Porta Pro and PX100 are the epitome of a good portable can. They are designed to be driven by low power sources and mask the sounds of the outside world with the use of some bass.

The Porta Pro is IMO what a good portable should be.. it isnt trying to be anything it isnt at a price that is what I feel is right. People always say "bargain of a life time" - I say "no, priced where it should be - so normal people can enjoy their iWhatever"

The HD800 comes with no adapter for 1/8" use - so assume Sennheiser doesn't want you to listen to devices with that connection port.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #56 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know but I thought my PX100 performed very nicely with the certain amps against my other more expensive headphones for the $60 I paid for them.

Hmm.... I listened to my PX100 off my Ultra Micro... It does perform well as long as the track doesn't call for deep bass notes. The PX100 just doesn't have enough control over the lower registers... The mid bass is blown out of proportion and the bass on offer, though significant, is NOT TIGHT enough... a bit thick.

It just offers a warm, 'tilted downwards' and veiled presentation... not much treble sparkle either.

But it DOES BENEFIT from amplification. Contrary to popular belief, the iPod doesn't drive it to its full potential. The iPod is really a wimpy, weak MP3 player.... my decade old Sony Discman drives the PX100 FAR BETTER... the iPod is just sterile and boring.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #58 of 117
It is a shame this thread is not even attempting a serious comparison. IMHO, value for the dollar is half the battle in this game. I think it would be of interest to see some form of Return-On-Investment (ROI) factor assigned to a set of headphones to attempt to qualify the perceived value per dollar.

Not sure how to go about this, but, an interesting concept would be to reflect overall value as well as sound quality.

I have a set of porta-pro's that spends most of the time at the office (no real fear of loss). Now I just need a set of HD800s. Anyone game? :wink:

jk

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #60 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a shame this thread is not even attempting a serious comparison. IMHO, value for the dollar is half the battle in this game. I think it would be of interest to see some form of Return-On-Investment (ROI) factor assigned to a set of headphones to attempt to qualify the perceived value per dollar.

Not sure how to go about this, but, an interesting concept would be to reflect overall value as well as sound quality.

I have a set of porta-pro's that spends most of the time at the office (no real fear of loss). Now I just need a set of HD800s. Anyone game? :wink:

jk

What sort of comparo do you want? I've given my thoughts on the subject. Listening to Porta Pros right now at work... Going to go home tonight and listen to the HD800.. that won't ever reverse. I wouldn't enjoy the HD800 in my work environment - not enough bass to cover up the talking around me.

Porta Pro Sound/Headstage whatever : [--]
HD 800 Sound Headtage wahetevr : [-------]
Porta Pro Detail/Resolution etc. that makes good SQ: [--]
HD 800 Detail/Reolution etc. that makes good SQ: [-------]

^^ That is dumb and all relative to the end user.

Porta Pro = portable 1/8" plugged headphone
HD800 = Hi-Fi 1/4" plugged headphone

Do you need a pie chart? Diagram?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back