HD800 vs. Koss Porta Pro
Jun 7, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #32 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it might be useful to write a thoughtful review and comparison between the Porta Pro (or another inexpensive headphone) and the HD-800. One without sarcasm and takes it seriously.

A lot of people question whether or not it is worth it to move up the ladder. A clear eyed comparison would illustrate that point. Right now, if someone wanted to know the difference, they would just find jokes and jabs at the lesser equipment.

There's a very strong tendency here to group equipment into price categories and judge based on price. If people wrote more reviews comparing less expensive to more expensive gear, I think it would improve understanding and discussion.

Why don't you make a graph that rates all the headphones in one manufacturer's range in terms of incremental improvements? Use price for the X-axis and sound quality for the Y-axis. Price goes left (cheapest) to most expensive (right) and SQ goes from bottom (worst) to best (top). Obviously the graph would be exponential, with marginal improvements decreasing towards zero as the prices of a headphone increases towards infinity. It would be interesting for me to see which headphones offer the biggest jump in performance over their stablemates. Maybe you could take this a step further and take this ratio (Y coordinate divided by X coordinate) to give us a value rating. The higher this number is, the better value the headphone is. OK get to it!

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #34 of 117
LMAO @ thread.... Seriously! It is like comparing the HD800 with the PX100. My K701 and E4C are like thrice and twice as good respectively as my PX100s. And considering the fact that the difference between the HD800 and K701 is HUUUGE (What I gathered from general opinion in my last big thread), one can imagine that the HD800 will be kinda 6X as good as PX100s and Porta Pros!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #35 of 117
i had the opportunity to A/B the HD800 and the koss portapro on my $6000 system.

I'll tell you right now. The HD800 is inferior in almost every way to the portapro.
1) soundstage is unreal on the portapro. It feels like you're not listening to speakers, but rather that the artist is on the moon and you're somewhere in a cave.
2) headstage is unreal on the portapro. It feels like you're head is on the moon gasping for air.
3) The neutrality of the portapros is like a straight line from the earth to the moon.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #36 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had the opportunity to A/B the HD800 and the koss portapro on my $6000 system.

I'll tell you right now. The HD800 is inferior in almost every way to the portapro.
1) soundstage is unreal on the portapro. It feels like you're not listening to speakers, but rather that the artist is on the moon and you're somewhere in a cave.
2) headstage is unreal on the portapro. It feels like you're head is on the moon gasping for air.
3) The neutrality of the portapros is like a straight line from the earth to the moon.

hahahahahaha..... didn't get point # 3.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #37 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey is this a joke or something? I've been longing to try the ksc35/portpro on my system to see how good they fair with my other headphones.
popcorn.gif

I don't know but I thought my PX100 performed very nicely with the certain amps against my other more expensive headphones for the $60 I paid for them.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #38 of 117
do I come off as gullible since I thought this was a serious thread at first? Oh well.

The irony of a thread like this is while it's fair for me to say without even having heard the Koss headphones in question, that the HD800 are better headphones.....I still believe there is plenty of music listeners who would enjoy the sound of a Bose / Skull Candy / Dr Dre Beats product or just a lower end bass boomy headphone over the HD800.

I could never convince someone who LOVES blasting a subwoofer to the highest level that the HD800 handle bass way better than the Bose QC3 (whose bass is undefined and essentially like putting your ear near a subwoofer)......it's all a matter of taste. I guess to create something that would appeal to an "audiophile" ear would require a lot more work for a company to create than a consumer product.

It's sorta like bringing someone to a wine taste and them having very limited experience in wine may honestly prefer a 20 dollar bottle of wine over a bottle which costs 1000 dollars and is very rare. Someone who is very very experienced in wine is likely to prefer the more expensive and rarer taste, but I honestly don't know if I could tell the difference between a cheap bottle of wine and a collector's bottle, and if I could I don't know how much better it would be.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #39 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just close the thread. No good will come from it.

Lighten up a little people...

Every once and a while you all need to have yourselves a nice glass of whatever it is that gets you relaxed and have a little fun. I can't believe ANYONE would take this thread as serious business - ONLY and I repeat ONLY because of the bombardment of the first page of HD800 vs. threads. There are ALREADY 3 threads that are HUGE with multiple reviews.

Honestly... when all those threads die down a little, this thread could have honestly been a serious thread like many have said. "How much do I really gain from 30 to 1400 dollars"

I have Koss cans.. 35/75/Porta pro, Low end Grado, Low end Sennheiser etc. etc.

Im defiantly not completely jaded - yes there is improvements, but its always going to be "beauty is the eye of the beholder"

Some people are into different things. Some people drink Bud Light and others drink Craft/Micro brews

Some people drive Hybrid cars, some people drive Hummvees.

You can go on and on.

I Honestly could take my porta pro around my work and ask them which they liked more, the HD800 or the Porta Pro and I HONESTLY think they would ALL prefer the Porta Pro to the HD800... They just enjoy the rocking out fun/bass of the Oorta pro. The HD800 makes no sense to almost every person I know in my "real life" outside of Head-Fi.

So take reviews with a grain of salt and figure out what you like on your own. I've gone down the "higher-end" road only to be disappointed, but I found out on my own.

I will NEVER sell my Porta Pro.. they will always have a special place.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #40 of 117
PortaPro is a good pair for weak(er) sources. It can put bass into bass-less songs (this I didn't like).
HD800...Wow. King of the Jungle. Not going to get any money for that in a good 5~8 years. Maybe by then Senn would have made the "HD1000".
I would rather like a comparison between the HD800 and the Grado GS1000. That would be a quite just fight. Not ProtaPro.
Or the PS1000...
PortaPro vs. PX100. Now this is a good fight.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #41 of 117
A review isn't necessarily to prove X is "better" than Y. If you're not willing to mix up your assumptions now and then, you'll end up following the herd. I'm not talking about a shootout - I just think it would be an interesting comparison and would give new members an idea of what's out there.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #43 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They just enjoy the rocking out fun/bass of the Oorta pro.

I will NEVER sell my Porta Pro.. they will always have a special place.

I am interested in this 'Oorta pro'...
evil_smiley.gif

But I agree to your point, except I recently lost my PPs. I am not happy.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #45 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Round 1... Fight

A much closer result than I expected.
Google Fight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back