HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss?
Jan 6, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #151 of 175
Cavalli and RSA are also one man companies essentially, so if that is really such an issue for you then they're out too.

Unfortunately yes, but I think waiting time for Dark Star is shorter :) And I can be wrong but didn't Cavalli had the assembly line of desk ? where few technicians works at the same time ? I forget the page where this was shown on the video.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #152 of 175
Cavalli farms out assembly entirely but checks each unit himself, Headamp farms out at least part of the assembly, Ray has people doing/helping assembly in his house.  None of these guys solders every resistor themselves, that's for sure.  However, they are all one-man shops in that if they quit/retired/died, repairs and service might be complicated.  That is the risk of cottage industry.  Lead time will definitely be shorter with RSA/Cavalli.  

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #153 of 175
The P1U sounds great with HD800. Not sure about other headphones though. Those guys who made this amp really know what they're doing.
I don't remember who said that  P1U is "involving" or something like that.. But I can tell you this - I can't take my HD800 off my ears since I got this sucker.
I don't like tubes. They change characteristics with age. For some guys it's fun (tube rolling) but I used to play a lot with tubes in the past building custom  bass amps.  So I'm sort of fed up with those things.

Would be interested to audition Dark Star from Ray.

Quote:
  Sonic bliss?  Damned close. 

I second the Luxman advice.  Get any Luxman you can get your hands on.  I had a P-1u but not with the HD800.  Others say it's great with the HD800, and I can attest to how good it is with other headphones.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #156 of 175
My quick top 5 list for the HD800 (price no object, and subject to change after #1) is:

1) ZDSE

2/3) Luxman/Bryston (tie for very different reasons)

4/5) Vali/m-Stage
(tie for different sound sig preferences)

...with a shout out the the nifty little NFB-12 which sounds pretty darn remarkable as an all in one with the HD800 for the extreme budget...

-Daniel

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #157 of 175
What about the Graham Slee Solo or the Ultra-Linear version of it? I use it with my HD800, HD650, and Grado SR325Is and I think it's amazing. I tried the Naim headphone amp at a store and was really disappointed though, it was waAAAY too soft on treble.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #158 of 175
  My quick top 5 for the HD800 

2/3) Luxman/Bryston (tie for very different reasons)
-Daniel

Care to share those reasons? looking at the bryston although tubes have always turned me on lol. I like the simplicity of a SS. Looking at that and the V200 for it's versatility. In a dream world I would have one amp that can drive my hd800's, my HE-5 (Code-x) and a pair of UM Miracles. Although realistically I don't think I would ever use a CIEM lying around at home when I have other options so that last one is optional lol.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #160 of 175
I have tried a few of amps with the HD800, some expensive like Leben and DNA Audio, some less expensive like Vali, but the 35 watt Yamaha CR-620 from the late 70s is good enough to possibly be the one I settles with.
Natural, powerful smooth sound with good clarity and soundstaging. The only thing is the bass. It has great analogue and slamming qualities but is a bit boomy.
If you have the HD800 the program TB Isone will take them to a whole new level of soundstaging and imaging.
TB Isone + Concero HD + CR-620 + HD800 = Sonic Bliss

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #161 of 175
If you have the HD800 the program TB Isone will take them to a whole new level of soundstaging and imaging.
TB Isone + Concero HD + CR-620 + HD800 = Sonic Bliss

What do you use TB is one with? I gave up last time trying to set it up with foobar and Windows without success.
Any help would be appreciated. I've heard good things and if the hd800's can sound even better I want it :-D

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #162 of 175

Care to share those reasons? looking at the bryston although tubes have always turned me on lol. I like the simplicity of a SS. Looking at that and the V200 for it's versatility. In a dream world I would have one amp that can drive my hd800's, my HE-5 (Code-x) and a pair of UM Miracles. Although realistically I don't think I would ever use a CIEM lying around at home when I have other options so that last one is optional lol.

The Luxman P1u gives the HD800 awesome texture and tonality-a little 'meat on the bones'-better than any amp I've heard including the WA5LE and ZDSE when it comes to this. I got rid of it however because it seemed a little closed in and congested compared the ZDSE/WA5LE/BHA-1-but mainly because it lacked transparency of...most of my other amps. Guess you could say it was strong arming it's own sound into the equation at the cost of transparency.

The BHA-1 had MUCH better transparency, and better dynamics and soundstage depth. Has excellent musicality and prat, and decent tonality for ss. Nowhere near the Lux in that regard though.

I use my HD800 with the April Music Eximus DP1. It's awesome!

Darn right it is-still the best dac I've heard with the HD800. Keep in mind I felt the built in headamp is severely lacking in dynamics-and can easily be bested by adding a Vali-an excellent pairing I lived with for a number of months in fact. The m-Stage is also a remarkable pairing too...

-Daniel

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #163 of 175
What do you use TB is one with? I gave up last time trying to set it up with foobar and Windows without success.
Any help would be appreciated. I've heard good things and if the hd800's can sound even better I want it :-D

I use J River. VERY easy to set up Isone unlike many other programs. You go to the DSP Studio and manage plug-ins and add the dll file and that's it.
Isone and HD800 seem to be made for each other. It doesn't sound nearly as good with the Audezes.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #165 of 175
Very surprised I don't see the Auralic Taurus Mk.2 belong mentioned here. I think it is an excellent pairing with the HD-800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back