HD600 vs. HD650
Jul 29, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #46 of 114
Associated Equipment: Headroom blockhead, meridian 508.24, cardas balanced reference interconnects & balanced headphone cable

Recordings: Various - Stereophile test CDs

Conclusions:

After switching between the HD600 and HD650, it can be concluded that the tonality of cymbals is not very accurate with the HD600 compared to the HD650. The HD600 sounds slightly icy, and is grainy by comparison. I hear more detail with the HD650 and a better soundstage. The HD650 is more liquid-sounding.

Listening to more lively recordings, such as jazz and hip-hop, reveal the HD650 to have a more accurate high end and a much livelier midrange, as well as more powerful bottom-end response without the coloration of the mid-bass that the HD600s have.

The HD650 is a completely new beast when powered by the blockhead. Until you've heard these phones on a dual-monoblock balanced amp with a source to compliment, I'm afraid you're wasting those HD650s (and HD600s!) and really don't understand how forward, lively, and beautiful the sound can be. It's really a sound to behold, and it's one of the reasons I'm going to have to start a career - to pay for such upgrades!

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 29, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #47 of 114
Quote:

Treat the HD650 as a $2000.00 headphone for purposes of selecting associated equipment.

Amen.
wink.gif

I think the hd650 with a good aftermarket cable is a (slightly) underrated/underestimated headphone, in comparrison to the r10 or even qualia.

Don't forget that those headphones ALSO need equipment that match their quality!

Jul 29, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #48 of 114
Quote:

Treat the HD650 as a $2000.00 headphone for purposes of selecting associated equipment.

Amen.
smily_headphones1.gif

(well I can't vouch for it, but I feel it anyway
plainface.gif
)

Jul 29, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #49 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
Out of curiousity, are any of these comparisons blind?

Oh, I've heard neither.
biggrin.gif

i've owned/own both and used them on the same equipment. Thus same conditions.

Sometimes when i listen to music, i close mij eyes. If you call that blind.
600smile.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #50 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by dapperbandit
Okay thanks for your help and I would to ask another question regarding these 2 headphones .Some are saying that 650s are really muddy and bloated in the bass is this an overexaggeration? Does anybody think the bass is accurate ,tight, and detailed or is this their weakness? I know this may be subjective but would like to know others opinions.

depends on the source - amp you feed them with ...hence they can get quite accurate , offering a very lively and bass-viby experience !! , remaining extremely entertaining along the bass freq.s as well as quite accurate .

But they're not the best accurate can for bass , it tending to be bloated / take over the rest of frq.s on some kind of music ( even where it'n not meant to be ).

A tight bass ? probably woudn't define hd650 bass as tight , but yes I wood define it as entertaining and trying to be accurate on right equipments ( but then you have to spend more then a bit on equips )

Jul 30, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #51 of 114
The 650's bass has this special roundedness that lacks in some other can that still produces great bass. The HD595 has tighter bass by the standards of anyone who would define the 650's bass as "bloated", I'm sure. No, that's not to deny that the 650 is capable of greater bass articulation & texturing...

Damn, this 650 is nearly impossible to describe. Perhaps it is a merit? (I confess, I think so
wink.gif
)

Jul 30, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #52 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea

Damn, this 650 is nearly impossible to describe. Perhaps it is a merit? (I confess, I think so
wink.gif
)

I don't know what you pair the hd650 with , anyhow given they get more "right" bass on not cheap matched equipment , I don't agree that this is a merit .
I thought it before getting the hp2 , now I got to know bass better , and the "unknown" round smooth bass sound of hd650 it's not a merit if I have to think of it in this term.

Jul 30, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #54 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I bet it will come a day even Andrea will be annoyed / bored / bit stressed by hd650 bassy/warmy presentation
eek.gif

etysmile.gif

Try some new interlinks. I tried a new pair of Nordost Solar Wind interlinks and boy, they tamed the hd650 bass completely to another level. The bass was very tight and detailed. Not a trace of any bloated bass what so ever.

The interlinks didn't have the transparancy i want, so i will go for a higher model, but they made hd650 sound, faster, more natural and complete under control.
The higher models of the Nordost series of interlinks all share the same basics, thus the higher models give you just more of all the goodies. More details, transparancy etc.

All was done on the same equipment, so, the interlinks made the difference.

Jul 30, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #57 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
Try some new interlinks. I tried a new pair of Nordost Solar Wind interlinks and boy, they tamed the hd650 bass completely to another level. The bass was very tight and detailed. Not a trace of any bloated bass what so ever.

The interlinks didn't have the transparancy i want, so i will go for a higher model, but they made hd650 sound, faster, more natural and complete under control.
The higher models of the Nordost series of interlinks all share the same basics, thus the higher models give you just more of all the goodies. More details, transparancy etc.

All was done on the same equipment, so, the interlinks made the difference.

..it seems to me we are saying the same ..
I yet expressed how upgrading help on hd650 and how it can help the bass ; when you scale on equipment you get performance for the money and they are able to sense the change
Getting a 200+/++ $ IC ( Nordost do quite a range of different Ics for different purpose ) could be meaning and help to control bass more then the 100$ pair of the same line , this is possible thing , upgrading -generally speaking and in my exp , and referring to IC too - pays for the money if you are on hd650 .

Jul 30, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #58 of 114
I have an HD600 and I prefer it over HD650.

HD600 is the only dynamic headphone which can be directly compared to a high-end speaker system... If you still crave for a decent speaker system but can't afford it, HD600 is the way to go.

Btw, HD650 was Sennheiser pleasing the Grado crowd and making a lot of money by doing so…

Jul 30, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #60 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Where do you get the HD600 with Hd650 drivers?

From what i've read, some headfiers received the HD650 drivers from the Amazon refurb deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back