HD600 vs. HD650
Aug 1, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #76 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001

In terms of brightness, yes the HD600 does have a little more brightness to it than the HD650 (I'm talking about tonal character here, not frequency response). But, to my ears, the HD650 is a very warm (aka dark) sounding phone so the extra brightness of the HD600 is actually a reflection of it's more neutral tonal character, on an absolute scale (both phones are on the dark sight of the spectrum). Were you using HD600 and HD650 with there corresponding stock cables? That might have exacerbated things since I find the stock HD600 cable to be brighter than the stock HD650 cable.

The HD600 i was using had the stock 600 cable, and the 650 had the stock 650 cable, so yes. But if the 600 in general is brighter than the 650, then I prefer the 600 in that respect alone.

Now I might have to consider a Zu Mobius cable in the future.

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #77 of 114
you say that senn cans are better with a fast amp, yet they are supposed to be better with tube amps, which are considered to be a little slower...
confused.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #78 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89
you say that senn cans are better with a fast amp, yet they are supposed to be better with tube amps, which are considered to be a little slower...
confused.gif

I have a tube amp thats extremely fast and dynamic. I have a tube amp thats more rounded and refined but its still not slow. This is one of those stereotypes that get tossed around until someone eventually accepts the stereotype as fact. Tube amps are not inherently slow anymore than solid state amps are inherently thin and bright.

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #79 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I have a tube amp thats extremely fast and dynamic. I have a tube amp thats more rounded and refined but its still not slow. This is one of those stereotypes that get tossed around until someone eventually accepts the stereotype as fact. Tube amps are not inherently slow anymore than solid state amps are inherently thin and bright.

I concur. Tube amps can be as fast, punchy, dynamic and linear as solid state - when you find that tube amp that can do the above things that sacd lover talked about it usually sounds nice with the senns.

Aug 1, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #81 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89
ahh ok thanks for clarification i am getting my first tube amp, (LDII) and was gonna pair them with my senns

There are also alot of hybrid amps out there, with solid state and tubes combined to have the best of both worlds.

The experts say (recording engeneers and amp designers) that when you have a good design of both types of amps, they absolutely sound the same.

Aug 1, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #82 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
Perhaps with the XP-7, yes, I always thought they didn't power the HD6X0 to my liking (although, many others will disagree) but with my Gilmore V2 heck no, quite the opposite actually. I and many others will attest to the the ability of Gilmore amps to "wake up" Sennheiser phones.

But that's not the real issue here--it is that, IMO, the HD600 is a more airy sounding headphone than the HD650. I simply brought up the HD595 as a reference point for Andrea to compare his HD650 too concerning this trait. I really doubt many would think the HD650 (even with silver cables) to have a more airy sound than a HD595.

Actually i would think that hd595 has alot of potential . If sennheiser improves its resolution , remove some of its grainy mids and make the bass tighter, it can be a very good pair of headphone that is able to challenge top league

Aug 1, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #83 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
Actually i would think that hd595 has alot of potential . If sennheiser improves its resolution , remove some of its grainy mids and make the bass tighter, it can be a very good pair of headphone that is able to challenge top league

Yeah sure, they can even call it HD-650...
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #84 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
Yeah sure, they can even call it HD-650...
tongue.gif

They sound different to me, very different

Aug 1, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #85 of 114
I agree, there is a lot of family resemblence between the HD595 and the HD6X0 line (for one they have almost the same frequency response) but a lot of differences too--they are more energetic and transparent (airy) although less refined. Personally I don't find the faults of the HD595 to be any worse than those of the HD600 or HD650 so I consider them on equal ground. In the end it just comes down to system matching and personal preference when deciding between them and the HD600 and HD595 are more my preference.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #86 of 114
I had both the HD600 and HD650 in my possession for a little over a week up until two days ago, both with the stock cables. I couldn't afford to keep both so I sold the HD650 and kept the HD600. But I have an extra HD650 cable that I sometimes use on my HD600's, and I swear, it makes the 600's sound more 650-ish (to me and in my rig). The bass gets a boost and everything is just more there, not as delicate as the HD600.

My better judgement tells me the cable swap is simply placebo because they are essentially the same cable, but anyone who owns both please humor me and try it:

A/B the HD650 with stock cable vs. the HD600 with HD650 cable.

or

A/B the HD600 with stock cable vs. the HD600 with HD650 cable.

Please report back with your results and tell me I'm crazy.
600smile.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #88 of 114
The thing is though, logic suggests the 650 cable should do nothing to change the sound from the 600 cable. I believe Sennheiser reps said it was the same cable with just thicker sleeving on the 650.

By the way, I am confused about your HD625's
icon10.gif

I was under the impression that the HD580/600/650 all shared the same driver and the sound differences were determined in dampening, housing, etc.
confused.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #89 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
The thing is though, logic suggests the 650 cable should do nothing to change the sound from the 600 cable. I believe Sennheiser reps said it was the same cable with just thicker sleeving on the 650.

By the way, I am confused about your HD625's
icon10.gif

I was under the impression that the HD580/600/650 all shared the same driver and the sound differences were determined in dampening, housing, etc.
confused.gif

Hd625 is a hd600 with hd650 drivers. Look at the posts above....some hd600's are delivered with hd650 drivers in it.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #90 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
Hd625 is a hd600 with hd650 drivers. Look at the posts above....some hd600's are delivered with hd650 drivers in it.

No, I got that. My confusion stems from the belief that all the headphones in that series use the same driver. I believe head-fi member gsferrari called Sennheiser about a possible replacement driver for his HD650 and they gave him the same part number for the HD580, HD600, and HD650. So even if the pictures show copper colored rings around it or any small differences like that, in essence they can still be the same driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back