HD600 vs. HD650
Dec 18, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #106 of 114
When I last fall compared these two the HD650 was a winner. The sound was fuller and more pleasant overally.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #107 of 114
I prefer the HD650, I like laidback, relaxed and smooth sounding earphones with nice fat warm bass. HD650 is also a lot clearer and cleaner sounding, no fatigue, and yet still detailed.

HD600's advantage is a nicer soundstage which doesn't feel as close to me as the HD650. It has more depth. But I don't like its brightness, grainier sound (not to say it's grainy, just grainier than the HD650) and lack of low end. HD650 is still not a perfect headphone but it's getting close. Actually the only thing I would ask of the HD650 is to have a wider, deeper soundstage. Well that and be more portable and work of portable gear better -- but that's probably a little too much to ask.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #108 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bencrest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apologies for bumping this already old thread, but my old HD650s had a driver marked 'HD580' once the driver was 'exposed'. This would lead me to believe that the 580 and the 650 also share the same driver.

Looking forward to my HD600s, kinda regret selling my HD650s now and keeping my K701s. The K701s just don't 'do it for me' with my current setup, and I miss my HD650
frown.gif

I don't know about that, but if you listen they clearly sound different. I can't just attribute this to a change in the housing; the HD580 (and HD600) sound totally different from the HD650.

HD580 has a narrow soundstage but has lots of depth -- it throws the music into the backseat away from you. It sounds a lot grainier as well, and has very weak low end.

HD650 sounds very, very smooth and has a tapered high end, in addition to much fuller bass. Soundstage is wider, but lacks depth.

It can't be just a change of housing and cables, the driver may be the same but I would bet it's tweaked differently. I'd say 580 has no roll off in the treble like the HD650, has very recessed mids, and flat bass. HD650 on the other hand has a smoother mid curve and bump in the bass.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #109 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that, but if you listen they clearly sound different. I can't just attribute this to a change in the housing; the HD580 (and HD600) sound totally different from the HD650.

"Au Contraire."

My "new" HD580M's sound IDENTICAL to the "new" HD650's I had - IDENTICAL in all respects! Which is why I kept the HD580M's, and returned the "new" HD650's - they were almost half the price.

Perhaps the old versions sounded different, but not the "new" versions - at least the ones I have / had.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #110 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Au Contraire."

My "new" HD580M's sound IDENTICAL to the "new" HD650's I had - IDENTICAL in all respects! Which is why I kept the HD580M's, and returned the "new" HD650's - they were almost half the price.

Perhaps the old versions sounded different, but not the "new" versions - at least the ones I have / had.

to me, the difference was there. i prefer the 650.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #112 of 114
I always have to laugh at everyone's use of the word "neutral." It's such a relative term and half of the people using the word have never played (or even stood right next to) the instruments they're trying to describe. 

Sure, the 650s have a "smooth" response. Heavy bass emphasis? I think not. Rolled-off highs? I think not. I find the 650s very "neutral."  
wink_face.gif

Note: I realize this thread has been dead for a while... just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Sep 4, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #113 of 114
Nice resurrection!
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #114 of 114
Then you've compared the "old" to the "new" versions - because the "new" versions sound identical to each other - absolutely identical.  At least those I have / had do. 

That wasn't true of the "old" versions - they HD650's were darker, slower and more veiled than the HD580/600's were.  But, with the new versions, that is no longer the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back