hd25-1 impressions thread
Nov 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,206 of 3,348
I do enjoy my pair, found a new way of wearing them so that they won't annoy my ears too much. I love the prat and the tight bass and how it's there and nicely compliments the mids at the same time.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #2,207 of 3,348
Can anyone clarify me about this please? Owners of the basic editions raise your voices!!! XD

Yep, can confirm that at least here in Europe that the ones without "Made in Ireland" are the Basic edition which come without anything other than the screw on jack adaptor.

I suspect that Sennheiser had a lot of spare parts for these headphones and decided to reduce the stock and make some money by using these parts to make the basic edition. The reason being is that, as far as I'm aware, when you order a spare headband it does not come with "made in Ireland" on it. This is pure conjecture on my part, but it does seem feasible.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2,209 of 3,348
  Can anyone recommend a nice but not too expensive copper cable for purchase in the UK? 

I've made a couple purchases from Custom Cans, and have been happy with the service...

http://www.customcans.co.uk/

He also sells on ebay, and I remember seeing a basic copper cable for the HD25s on there

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,210 of 3,348
Can't personally recommend them as I haven't got 'em but looking at these myself at the mo
http://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/acessories/1m-audiophile-sennheiser-hd25-1-silver-plated-ofc-copper-cable-cardas-neutrik.html

Otherwise someone mentioned toxic cables stuff.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2,211 of 3,348
Yep, can confirm that at least here in Europe that the ones without "Made in Ireland" are the Basic edition which come without anything other than the screw on jack adaptor.

I suspect that Sennheiser had a lot of spare parts for these headphones and decided to reduce the stock and make some money by using these parts to make the basic edition. The reason being is that, as far as I'm aware, when you order a spare headband it does not come with "made in Ireland" on it. This is pure conjecture on my part, but it does seem feasible.

I have to admit i wanted a pair saying made in ireland.... Dont ask me why but i liked that.... XD But for a pair that costed me 70 euros and thats was in mint condition i cant really complain.... XD As long as they sound the same as the "irish" ones they are fine by me.... XD

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2,214 of 3,348
  Still kind of expensive... Thanks for the answers though!

well :p i dont know if you can find a copper cable for the hd25 cheaper than that... :p but the hd600 is the least of an upgrade you should do imo. your ears deserve better than that steel cable treatment. if you are very familiar with the stock hd25 , the difference isnt subtle at all. its quite profound

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #2,215 of 3,348

well :p i dont know if you can find a copper cable for the hd25 cheaper than that... :p but the hd600 is the least of an upgrade you should do imo. your ears deserve better than that steel cable treatment. if you are very familiar with the stock hd25 , the difference isnt subtle at all. its quite profounding

Sorry, was actually commenting on the £59 CustomCans cable - yeah if I don't find anything used or DIY I'll either go with a hd600 cable or possibly this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser-HD25-HD-25-1-Replacement-Copper-Cable-1-5m-Straight-/111159255083?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item19e19ba02b
Am very familiar with the stock HD25 so I'll report back on the difference when I get the copper cable :)

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2,216 of 3,348

well :p i dont know if you can find a copper cable for the hd25 cheaper than that... :p but the hd600 is the least of an upgrade you should do imo. your ears deserve better than that steel cable treatment. if you are very familiar with the stock hd25 , the difference isnt subtle at all. its quite profound

But, I believe the HD600 cable is equal length at both ear cups, where the right ear cup part of the HD25 cable is longer so it can travel the headband.  You can flip the cups to use a cable of equal lengths

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,217 of 3,348

But, I believe the HD600 cable is equal length at both ear cups, where the right ear cup part of the HD25 cable is longer so it can travel the headband.  You can flip the cups to use a cable of equal lengths

yes that how i wear it. but i have seen guys here that just run the hd600 cable along the headband (it goes in there and you have to to some circles around the ring driver with the right driver end) and youll have the hd600 single sided.... here is what i am talking about http://www.markgoldie.co.uk/stuff/headfi/various/hd25recabled3.jpg

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #2,218 of 3,348
Finally got my HD25-1's in the mail. Opinions follow:

I really them them. First, the comfort is the best of anything I have tried. For the most part its like I am not wearing headphones.

The sound is very analytical and these are the first headphones where I can h.ear where each individual instrument is in the soundstage and separate them. I can tell exactly where the specific toms are on the drum kit that the drummer is hitting. 

The sound is much colder than my introductory N-Tunes and Monoprice 8323. I would say that the Monoprice are funner for most chillstep and liquidy dance music, but not by much. However, I listen to a lot of folk like Tallest Man on Earth, Mumford and Sons, and Bob Dlyan, and the HD25s are the first headphones to really excel in that genre, as well and "jangle pop."

One thing I do like about the a lot, too, is that they never really hurt my ears. With a lot of head phones I feel like physical sound waves are being forced into my head which starts to hurt/tire me over time. These have a more airy sound that never really hurts or fatigues me. 

I let my precocious 5 year old nephew listen to all my headphones and so far he has liked the HD25's the most. He says they are simply the most enjoyable of all of mine and they are the most "fun" and don't make his ears tired. 

One last question, how long for burn-in?

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2,219 of 3,348
I didn't burn them in at all, started listening to them out of the box. They are amazing headphones indeed and sound good out of the apex glacier.

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #2,220 of 3,348
  Finally got my HD25-1's in the mail. Opinions follow:

I really them them. First, the comfort is the best of anything I have tried. For the most part its like I am not wearing headphones.

The sound is very analytical and these are the first headphones where I can h.ear where each individual instrument is in the soundstage and separate them. I can tell exactly where the specific toms are on the drum kit that the drummer is hitting. 

The sound is much colder than my introductory N-Tunes and Monoprice 8323. I would say that the Monoprice are funner for most chillstep and liquidy dance music, but not by much. However, I listen to a lot of folk like Tallest Man on Earth, Mumford and Sons, and Bob Dlyan, and the HD25s are the first headphones to really excel in that genre, as well and "jangle pop."

One thing I do like about the a lot, too, is that they never really hurt my ears. With a lot of head phones I feel like physical sound waves are being forced into my head which starts to hurt/tire me over time. These have a more airy sound that never really hurts or fatigues me. 

I let my precocious 5 year old nephew listen to all my headphones and so far he has liked the HD25's the most. He says they are simply the most enjoyable of all of mine and they are the most "fun" and don't make his ears tired. 

One last question, how long for burn-in?

well didnt do an intentional on mine neither but the sound defintly has improved in the 4 years that i have them (its alot better now than before). they say the hd25 needs a long long burnin. i would prolly do 250+ hour if i get a new pair. about the pain and soundwaves: i find the hd25 with pleather to create this feeling, it vaccuums my ear and after 30min the pressure become to big and i start having some kind of pain. pitty cuz the sound with pleather is better but ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back