hd25-1 impressions thread
Feb 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #1,786 of 3,348
This question is more for those who own both a Grado and HD 25 (though other people's inputs are welcome!).

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm absolutely LOVING my new (ahem... used :wink: ) Grado SR-60i's ($50, I couldn't resist! [Thanks again peterabb!]). Now seeing that the hd-25 1-ii's have a similarly aggressive sound signature and narrow soundstage, I was wondering if it would be in my best interests to pursue this as a portable alternative, or if I should pursue a complimentary sound signature (I've been thinking about the v-moda m-80's)? 

I guess in other words, would purchasing the hd-25's render my Grados worthless (redundant), and I should choose something with a different sound signature instead, or do they really convey different enough experiences to warrant having both (under a budget)?

Sorry about my wordiness, sometimes it's hard to express a war going on in my head. :p

My hd 25s replaced my SR 60is. The grado is smoother and more natural sounding. Vocals are better. But thats it, the senns give you subbass, faster attack and way more prat. More extension on both sides.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #1,788 of 3,348
i try the hd 25 with a nuforce icon mobile. it is better, but i now i try it with a continental V2 and was a litlle bit disappointed.
regarding the price the improvement was not significant in my opinions. maybe a mismatch?

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,790 of 3,348
An amp can improve its imaging, impact, clarity, and control a bit, but you should take care to get an amp that plays well with IEMs since HD25 can hiss as easily as an IEM.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,793 of 3,348
This thread has got me pretty lusty after the hd25s.  Now that I've heard about the new Amperiors though I wonder if it would be better to wait?  Has anyone tried them yet to compare?

Also the Sennheisers I've tried in the past have all had a definite lack in the high end department.  I dislike shrill noise as much as the next guy but earphones, overears and on ears I heard all shared that similar sound.  Is it the same with the hd25?

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,794 of 3,348

Quote:
My hd 25s replaced my SR 60is. The grado is smoother and more natural sounding. Vocals are better. But thats it, the senns give you subbass, faster attack and way more prat. More extension on both sides.

Grr! That's what I'm afraid of; I just bought these guys and am in their honeymoon period, lol. 

I'm still a noob at sq: faster attack meaning it handles changes in frequencies i.e. busy music better, right? And what is prat? 

Thanks

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #1,795 of 3,348
This thread has got me pretty lusty after the hd25s. Now that I've heard about the new Amperiors though I wonder if it would be better to wait? Has anyone tried them yet to compare? Also the Sennheisers I've tried in the past have all had a definite lack in the high end department. I dislike shrill noise as much as the next guy but earphones, overears and on ears I heard all shared that similar sound. Is it the same with the hd25?

There's plenty of high end. Some might even find it fatiguing (according to joker's review).

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #1,796 of 3,348

Quote:
Grr! That's what I'm afraid of; I just bought these guys and am in their honeymoon period, lol. 

I'm still a noob at sq: faster attack meaning it handles changes in frequencies i.e. busy music better, right? And what is prat? 

Thanks

I say enjoy the honeymoon period and when the upgrade itch starts, start modding your grados. Damping and venting is easy and cheap 
normal_smile .gif

PRaT is Pace Rhythm and Timing. Fancy word for foot tapping/head banging potential IMO 
biggrin.gif

IMHO the hd 25 is tuned just right for rock music. Does not mean it handles all types of busy music better. For example with a lot of instruments it does congested, but still does well for its price. For eg: for very heavy metal (thrash etc.. stuff I don't listen to anyhow) I find the highs a bit much and overbearing.

But for rock and metal, the bass is juuuuust right. Just the right amount of whoomp for drums. No excess fat, at the same time it does produce sub bass when the song calls for it. The mid bass and sub bass is just right that it follows the songs tune closely. You'll start noticing the texture of the bass guitars. The highs are emphasized enough to set your head in motion.

The only cons which I realized when my own honeymoon period came to an end were, highs are not smooth and sometimes harsh. The mid range especially vocals could be better. And (for me) it was an incredibly surprising downgrade in comfort from the grados.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,797 of 3,348

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I guess until I really actually get my hands on one I'll never know for sure. I guess I'll just have to calm my parents down when they see a credit card statement with ~$200 taken out and explain that I'm just testing em out and plan to return them (or do I?). 
biggrin.gif

Even better if there was a retailer that demo's them, I asked earlier in the thread but didn't get a response. (I wouldn't be surprised if no one does, though, since they're a pretty old headphone)

I see you're at UCSD...There's a couple DJ shops in San Diego that might have them to audition. Guitar Center in La Mesa appears to stock them. I ordered mine without listening and I'm pretty happy with them.

Oops...looks like you got them already??

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,798 of 3,348
No, I haven't yet. I'm constantly teeter-tottering between the HD-25s and the V-Moda M-80's, and I definitely want to demo both out before I commit to a purchase. The last part of my post was sort of a joke, but I'm still considering buying one of them and then returning just for testing purposes. I'll probably call around shops here in SD and see if they have an HD 25 demo available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back