hd25-1 impressions thread
Aug 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #1,426 of 3,348
I very much agree, Cain. I find them to be really, really good at reproducing music. A few audiophiles around these parts have disagreed on the subject, but I honestly don't know what faults you can find in these cans.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #1,428 of 3,348
Maybe your friend should bathe more often. 
tongue.gif

It wouldn't hurt to wash those dirty pads with soap and water.

White isn't such a great color for some things.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #1,430 of 3,348
Recable time... but then I run out of cotton sleeving, dangit.  I didn't bother sealing the connectors permanently with epoxy like I normally do, that way I can reuse the connectors when I build another cable with nylon over cotton all the way through and not just part way, lol.  Heatshrink will hold just fine.
I just wanted to do away with the steel cable already.

7748423b_IMG_4081b.jpg

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,431 of 3,348

Where did you get that sheathing from? I really need to know!!
Quote:
Recable time... but then I run out of cotton sleeving, dangit.  I didn't bother sealing the connectors permanently with epoxy like I normally do, that way I can reuse the connectors when I build another cable with nylon over cotton all the way through and not just part way, lol.  Heatshrink will hold just fine.
I just wanted to do away with the steel cable already.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,432 of 3,348
Just wondering, not sure if it's been covered in the last 95 pages, does positioning the headbands together give the least clamp pressure or does opening them up give them less?
Mine are brand new pretty much (maybe ~20 hours of music) but I can't seem to comfortably wear them for no longer than 20 mins before I have to reposition them.  Sound is getting better but clamp force is not.  I stretched them over the box for a night but they just spring back after 15 mins.  Advisable to expose them over a heat source to make the band malleable just to widen the band a few mm/cm?

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,433 of 3,348
Just keep stretching them over a stack of books or a box. They will eventually get reasonably comfortable for prolonged use. The split headband gives a bit more clamp IME, making for a secure fit when needed.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #1,434 of 3,348
I want the band to stay at a certain amount of clamp pressure, though. I want a long term fix cause wouldn't they just shrink back to normal if I stretched them over a box?
Also, wanna know if splitting the band gives more pressure or less?  I can't really tell because as of the now the difference is very miniscule. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #1,435 of 3,348

Quote:
Where did you get that sheathing from? I really need to know!!

It's just regular nylon multifilament braid from furryletters on fleabay.
The cotton sleeving underneath it I got from DoubleHelixCables.  I used up more of it than I thought when I recabled my sister's V700.
You need nylon over cotton throughout to dampen the cable against microphonics.

As far as clamp pressure, it is least when the cups are all the way up on the headband, then you can try wearing the headphone with the headband going around the back of your neck, "sport-style" or whatever you want to call it.  No, opening up the headband does not alleviate clamp pressure.

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,436 of 3,348
Thought I'd post a pic of my modded HD25's.  I'm actually using an SP headband with the padding off the HD25-1 II's and added a custom silver cable.  Sounds awesome through my Matrix Mini-i but pictured here with the FiiO E7 off my MacBookAir.
Love the HD25-1's. Use them all around the house and this setup is great for travelling.
(Just to the right is a Matrix Mini-i off a MacMini driving a pair of HD650's).

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,437 of 3,348

Quote:
Just wondering, not sure if it's been covered in the last 95 pages, does positioning the headbands together give the least clamp pressure or does opening them up give them less?
Mine are brand new pretty much (maybe ~20 hours of music) but I can't seem to comfortably wear them for no longer than 20 mins before I have to reposition them.  Sound is getting better but clamp force is not.  I stretched them over the box for a night but they just spring back after 15 mins.  Advisable to expose them over a heat source to make the band malleable just to widen the band a few mm/cm?

I'm at 50-60hrs. of usage and the clamping force does loosen after a while, you just got to keep wearing it or stick it on a box with your head width whenever not in use.  I hated them at first, but it does get tolerable with usage.  I probably wouldn't stick it over a heat source just because if you heat it too much then there's no going back.  

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #1,439 of 3,348

Quote:
I actually wish the HD25 would clamp harder.

WHAT?! hahah your head must be really small cause at about 30 mins they actually become unbearable.
My hat size is 7-1/4 and my ears don't point out or anything.

Quote:
I'm at 50-60hrs. of usage and the clamping force does loosen after a while, you just got to keep wearing it or stick it on a box with your head width whenever not in use.  I hated them at first, but it does get tolerable with usage.  I probably wouldn't stick it over a heat source just because if you heat it too much then there's no going back.  

I'm actually getting annoyed with the clamp force but I gotta keep at it I suppose.
Just put on my M50s and they feel AMAZING after having the HD25s on aha.
If I were to heat the band I would avoid repeated attempts as well as be really careful about adjusting them.
It'd be like adjusting eyeglasses where they heat the arms and adjust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back