hd25-1 impressions thread
Apr 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #481 of 3,348
I got mine yesterday and I'm very pleased. I listen it directly from Creative X-Fi xtreme music. I'm a bit worried that I played a too loud sound through them. I was watching a begining of Star Wars (famous theme) and it was too quiet (it has to do with movie recording) so I turned up volume the loudest it could but it was still not enough. So I went to ac3filter and boosted the sound 14 dB and it was enough but not too loud. I jumped to the middle of the movie and it was some loud fight with blasters and lightsabers and I quickly turned off the sound because it scared me, and now I'm so worried that I could have damaged my headphones. It says that the card can output 109 dB and SPL of headphones is 120 dB. I think I can't hear any difference in sound but I'm paranoid about it. Can anyone tell me something about this? Sorry for my english.

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #482 of 3,348
Alright, I asked the ebay seller if it came with the extra set of pads. He said it didn't say so on the box. For those that got both the pleather and the velour pads, did it say so on the box?
He advertises it as the hd-25-1 II so I would assume it's the new version with both pads.

/Update
Went with a seller that had the best offer feature. Decided to throw a relatively cheap number ($165) and was surprised today when they took it. Shipping was reasonable at $25 to Canada, insured.
Can't wait to give these a try.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #483 of 3,348
If its the HD 25 II, it should come with both pads. I didn't see any noticable mention of whether it came with both pads or not on the box, it might be in the fine print but I havn't gone over that. They come in a small plastic bag, stuffed in the top part of the box along with the carry bag. It should be in there. Looks like you got a pretty good deal too. Canadian prices are ridiculous for a lot of things.

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #484 of 3,348
Received them my HD25 BA model today.
Quite impressed will start burning them now

May 3, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #486 of 3,348
ok I swapped the stock steel cable with the 650 cable one more time since I was bored and did a 10 min A/B test, and jeebus christ the 650 cable brings WAY more bass, I can't believe I didn't notice this before. The mids improve very slightly as well, or maybe I'm just imagining. But The bass really does become a lot more boomy with the 650 cables.

May 3, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #487 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok I swapped the stock steel cable with the 650 cable one more time since I was bored and did a 10 min A/B test, and jeebus christ the 650 cable brings WAY more bass, I can't believe I didn't notice this before. The mids improve very slightly as well, or maybe I'm just imagining. But The bass really does become a lot more boomy with the 650 cables.

[size=medium]
The HD25-1 stock steel cable is optimized for portability only. Audio quality-wise, it is an ongoing tragedy that screams to be put out of its misery. Just about any replacement cable will yield dramatically noticeable results. In fact, I doubt there is another phone that will demonstrate more dramatic results from a cable swap.
cool.gif
[/size]

May 3, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #488 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]
The HD25-1 stock steel cable is optimized for portability only. Audio quality-wise, it is an ongoing tragedy that screams to be put out of its misery. Just about any replacement cable will yield dramatically noticeable results. In fact, I doubt there is another phone that will demonstrate more dramatic results from a cable swap.
cool.gif
[/size]

the stock cable is meant for monitoring purposes. it is a little easier to cue things with the stock cable. i do however strongly recommend the copper upgrade, i am not using the 650 cable but rather that sennheiser offers which is 10ft, copper, 1/4 terminated. because although i do use these phones for mixing i do also use them for portable listening and copper is not as harsh on the 'ol eardrums.

May 3, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #489 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the stock cable is meant for monitoring purposes. it is a little easier to cue things with the stock cable. i do however strongly recommend the copper upgrade, i am not using the 650 cable but rather that sennheiser offers which is 10ft, copper, 1/4 terminated. because although i do use these phones for mixing i do also use them for portable listening and copper is not as harsh on the 'ol eardrums.

[size=medium]
I have used these headphones with stock cables and with Headphile's Black Silver cable. It is no exaggeration to say that was a dramatic increase along the entire frequency range. The recessed midrange came forward to balance with the rest of the range. The muted treble sweetened and became much more crisp and lively. The bass tightened up noticeably. The accuracy and sheer details were dramatically increased. Obviously, your mileage varies from mine, but I would never consider using the stock cable for monitoring purposes.[/size]

May 3, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #490 of 3,348
I have read that the HD650 cable has different pins than HD25.
Is that the case? Also is the cable of the HD25 Concorde issue the same as normal HD25? Has anyone upgraded the cable on those?

Thanks in advance.

May 4, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #491 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicR21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read that the HD650 cable has different pins than HD25.
Is that the case? Also is the cable of the HD25 Concorde issue the same as normal HD25? Has anyone upgraded the cable on those?

Thanks in advance.

The pins for the HD650 cable are the same as the HD25 cable AFAIK, not too sure about your other question though.

May 9, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #492 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. A little scarce on details, aren't they? I'd be interesting to know the length and plug-type that cable has...

So, details:

Replacement for HD25-1 (Copper)

- It's $14.95
- It's 10 feet long
- Terminated in a pretty massive 1/4" jack
- Special order, so figure two weeks from the time you place the order

So far, it sounds totally worth it. In a brief A-B test, the copper cable sounds much clearer than the steel cable. I recommend it, but keep the 1/4" termination in mind. It's a big plug, and I see that Grado 1/4" - 1/8" cable in my future.

May 9, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #493 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruteFM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, details:

Replacement for HD25-1 (Copper)

- It's $14.95
- It's 10 feet long
- Terminated in a pretty massive 1/4" jack
- Special order, so figure two weeks from the time you place the order

So far, it sounds totally worth it. In a brief A-B test, the copper cable sounds much clearer than the steel cable. I recommend it, but keep the 1/4" termination in mind. It's a big plug, and I see that Grado 1/4" - 1/8" cable in my future.

Thanks for the update. Out of curiosity, how closely does your "Replacement for HD25-1 (Copper)" cable resemble the HD650 cable (pictured below)?

0050080002_531.jpg

For my HD25, I ended up grabbing one of those HD650 cables and shortening/reterminating it with a right-angle Neutrik plug. The sonic improvement was noticeable.

May 9, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #494 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the update. Out of curiosity, how closely does your "Replacement for HD25-1 (Copper)" cable resemble the HD650 cable (pictured below)?

For my HD25, I ended up grabbing one of those HD650 cables and shortening/reterminating it with a right-angle Neutrik plug. The sonic improvement was noticeable.

The resemblance is passing. It looks like the stock HD25 cable, with the same connectors and cable lengths on the headphone side as the stock cable. It's just much longer, with the big 1/4" plug. And none of it is gold plated.

May 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #495 of 3,348

Users who are viewing this thread

Back