hd25-1 impressions thread
Jun 5, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #3,317 of 3,348
The hd25s are being made in Ireland again?
The production in Romania stopped or the hd25 Plus are the only ones being made in Ireland right now?

I have a pair of made in Ireland Basic Edition ones bought in 2018 but am about to buy a made in Romania pair for backup... The sound and are built the same way?

Thank you

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #3,318 of 3,348
I’m not sure if the Romanian plant is still in operation, but maybe there has been some reorganization of the production after Sennheiser consumer goods have been sold to Sonova. HD25 headphones are still manufactured and sold by Sennheiser, but all consumer and audiophile headphones, such as HD600, HD6XX, HD660S2, HD800S, HD560S, Momentum 4 (and I could name a few more), are manufactured and sold by Sonova using the « Sennheiser » brand under license.

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #3,319 of 3,348
The hd25s are being made in Ireland again?
The production in Romania stopped or the hd25 Plus are the only ones being made in Ireland right now?

I have a pair of made in Ireland Basic Edition ones bought in 2018 but am about to buy a made in Romania pair for backup... The sound and are built the same way?

Thank you

As far as I read (if I remember correctly) the Romanian production ended a few years ago and things went back to where they were made originally.

I read many comments and I never saw anybody say that the HD 600 sounded different based on the factory- and I believe Sennheiser stated that the molds and tooling were the same.

HD 25 is less popular, I don't know that anybody compared them.

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #3,320 of 3,348
As far as I read (if I remember correctly) the Romanian production ended a few years ago and things went back to where they were made originally.

I read many comments and I never saw anybody say that the HD 600 sounded different based on the factory- and I believe Sennheiser stated that the molds and tooling were the same.

HD 25 is less popular, I don't know that anybody compared them.
HD25 is in fact very popular, but targeting a different market: professional sound markets, broadcast, recording and mixing studios and the music DJ scene. That is why this headphone was kept by Sennheiser and not sold to Sonova like most of their headphones. It is considered a professional line model.

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #3,321 of 3,348
HD25 is in fact very popular, but targeting a different market: professional sound markets, broadcast, recording and mixing studios and the music DJ scene. That is why this headphone was kept by Sennheiser and not sold to Sonova like most of their headphones. It is considered a professional line model.
I know what it is, it is less popular nowadays. There is a lot of competition, and sadly, the HD 25 is mostly not interesting to new buyers despite the many benefits.

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #3,322 of 3,348
But while they were being made in Romania, the hd25 parts were made there or just the assembly of the headphones?

Any reports of malfunctioning senns from Romania? The 600s were also being made there?

I don't doubt that the Romanian headphones are as good or better than the ones made in Ireland or Germany but as you guys know the "made in Ireland/Germany" label sometimes makes the sell on its own because it passes the idea of reliability (although it may mean no s*** at all in practical terms).

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #3,323 of 3,348
But while they were being made in Romania, the hd25 parts were made there or just the assembly of the headphones?

Any reports of malfunctioning senns from Romania? The 600s were also being made there?

I don't doubt that the Romanian headphones are as good or better than the ones made in Ireland or Germany but as you guys know the "made in Ireland/Germany" label sometimes makes the sell on its own because it passes the idea of reliability (although it may mean no s*** at all in practical terms).

I can't remember the threads where @Sennheiser and others discussed this. I think the drivers were never made in Romania but the plastic parts were and they (HD 600/650, HD 25, and not sure what else) were also assembled there.

No bad press on the Romanian versions at all, just that Sennheiser didn't get the economy they wanted after all (at least that's what they seem to state here) so moved things back the way they were.

Yes, HD 600/650 and HD 25 had been moved to Ro, everything is now back where it was.

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #3,325 of 3,348
I'm guessing this is the defacto HD25 thread regardless of version these days?

I have the HD25 Plus, and I hadn't really touched it much since getting my K702 earlier this month, but last night I was auditioning between my K702, CAL! and HD25, and was reminded how well it actually holds its own. There's none of the width and space, but it still feels detailed and instrument separation (i.e. the ability to easily pick out any given instrument or sound from the mix, not separation from side to side in physical space) is honestly fantastic with the HD25. Plus it's just a fun sound that I don't think really struggles with any genre.

Definitely an underrated pair of headphones for sure, outside of their use in DJing and broadcasting.

I'm curious for the people in here - what are your favourite songs or genres to listen to on your HD25s? Or do you more just pick them out when you need the portability and/or isolation?

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #3,326 of 3,348
I'm guessing this is the defacto HD25 thread regardless of version these days?

I have the HD25 Plus, and I hadn't really touched it much since getting my K702 earlier this month, but last night I was auditioning between my K702, CAL! and HD25, and was reminded how well it actually holds its own. There's none of the width and space, but it still feels detailed and instrument separation (i.e. the ability to easily pick out any given instrument or sound from the mix, not separation from side to side in physical space) is honestly fantastic with the HD25. Plus it's just a fun sound that I don't think really struggles with any genre.

Definitely an underrated pair of headphones for sure, outside of their use in DJing and broadcasting.

I'm curious for the people in here - what are your favourite songs or genres to listen to on your HD25s? Or do you more just pick them out when you need the portability and/or isolation?

Yes, not much activity but I think this is the main thread.

I like them for listening to youtube videos (not music but instructional ones) and since they're easy to drive I also use them when making recordings off a couple different decks. Agree with you, they have a fun sound.

Jun 25, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #3,327 of 3,348
Agree with you, they have a fun sound.

I remember that years back I used to immensely enjoy HD-25 with rock and metal genres, as if these cans were made for that sort of music.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #3,328 of 3,348
The closest thing to a closed-back Grado (I’m not counting the Bushmills, as they are vented and provide zero isolation).

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #3,330 of 3,348
Hi,

I've stupidly sold my HD25 about 10 years ago because I prefered over-ear that time. But now I'm back :smile_phones: I've stumbled upon the HD25 Light:
  • quite cheap: 80 € (45 € less than the standard version)
  • lightweight
  • and IMHO also better looking: less flimsy because of single headband and two sided Y-cable
I really like them so far again, but comfort could be a bit better. I've ordered the original velour pads and some thick sheepskin pads from Aliexpress. Let's see...

BTW:
  • The light version is "Made in Romania"
  • article number of the light version: 508664
  • article number of the old light version: 506910

Users who are viewing this thread

Back