hd25-1 impressions thread
Aug 3, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #3,091 of 3,348
I've had tried many earphones and IEMs but I keep coming back to my HD25. I recently had my headphone recabled by a local DIYer since the stock steel cable broke. There's a slight difference in the sound signature as the higher frequencies slightly became smooth, mids became a bit more forward, and lows remained impactful with slightly better depth. I don't know if it's nostalgia (first major purchase of my adult life) but I really haven't found a closed headphone that sounds as fun as the HD25. The headphone is 10 years old now and still going strong!

IMG_20200731_101323.jpg

I only use PA2V2 as my amp and I must say it makes the sound more fun. Now, I wonder if I should buy the Mojo.
yeah for some reason I don't even know myself, HD25 remains as my only set of portable headphone after tried several other alternates.

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #3,092 of 3,348
If you are ok with a battery operated device the Mojo and ifi DSD black label are the two top contenders. If not, no particular reason to buy the Mojo.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #3,093 of 3,348
If you are ok with a battery operated device the Mojo and ifi DSD black label are the two top contenders. If not, no particular reason to buy the Mojo.

I've been eyeing the Mojo for quite a while now. Can you describe its effects to the HD25? The only thing that is holding me back is the micro-USB connection as it is not as robust as USB type C. It would be great if Chord releases an update to the Mojo soon.

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #3,094 of 3,348
I've been eyeing the Mojo for quite a while now. Can you describe its effects to the HD25? The only thing that is holding me back is the micro-USB connection as it is not as robust as USB type C. It would be great if Chord releases an update to the Mojo soon.

I can't, I am one of the guys who is not happy with any dacamp I have tried. I'm sure the Mojo has plenty enough power to drive the HD 25s well but I don't use my HD 25s for music listening so much, rather I use them for monitoring recordings.

My Mojo is used only in a desktop setting and if not for the battery I would be a lot happier with it. I make a clear distinction now between mobile gear and desktop gear. I fly frequently and I have a portable rig but the Mojo isn't part of that. For me the Mojo is neither fish nor fowl. It does not have analog in so it can't be used as only an amplifier. It isn't a DAP so you need something else to use as a transport. At the time I bought mine I needed a tiny DAC for desktop use because I was travelling and living in small apartments, hotel rooms etc. Today I would not buy it again. My portable rig is a DAP and a separate headamp. My stationary gear is all desktop hardware. It's difficult to find a broad use case for the Mojo. Don't get me wrong, the quality and sound and capability of the Mojo is amazing, even at the price. It is just not a complete package, the use case for a portable DACAMP with no transport is marginal. Because of that they sell the Poly. But really it should have been one piece that included all the functionality of the Moro and Poly from the beginning. Even in combination, the functionality falls short of a good DAP. Time moved on, there are more useful devices.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3,095 of 3,348
My yaxi type b pads have arrived :)
Going to put them on my hd25 aluminium later

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #3,096 of 3,348
My yaxi type b pads have arrived :)
Going to put them on my hd25 aluminium later

What color? I was gonna buy the black with the yellow stripe but they've been out of stock for like a year now.

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #3,097 of 3,348
Black with the red stripe. They are very comfy now. The sound seems bigger too

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,098 of 3,348
Black with the red stripe. They are very comfy now. The sound seems bigger too

I have never heard anybody say the yaxis sound better, only that they're comfortable. I have the customcans house pads and they're nice. I don't notice any difference in sound.

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #3,099 of 3,348
I have never heard anybody say the yaxis sound better, only that they're comfortable. I have the customcans house pads and they're nice. I don't notice any difference in sound.
I suppose as they move the driver further from my ear it makes the soundstage seem bigger

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #3,100 of 3,348
I can't, I am one of the guys who is not happy with any dacamp I have tried. I'm sure the Mojo has plenty enough power to drive the HD 25s well but I don't use my HD 25s for music listening so much, rather I use them for monitoring recordings.

My Mojo is used only in a desktop setting and if not for the battery I would be a lot happier with it. I make a clear distinction now between mobile gear and desktop gear. I fly frequently and I have a portable rig but the Mojo isn't part of that. For me the Mojo is neither fish nor fowl. It does not have analog in so it can't be used as only an amplifier. It isn't a DAP so you need something else to use as a transport. At the time I bought mine I needed a tiny DAC for desktop use because I was travelling and living in small apartments, hotel rooms etc. Today I would not buy it again. My portable rig is a DAP and a separate headamp. My stationary gear is all desktop hardware. It's difficult to find a broad use case for the Mojo. Don't get me wrong, the quality and sound and capability of the Mojo is amazing, even at the price. It is just not a complete package, the use case for a portable DACAMP with no transport is marginal. Because of that they sell the Poly. But really it should have been one piece that included all the functionality of the Moro and Poly from the beginning. Even in combination, the functionality falls short of a good DAP. Time moved on, there are more useful devices.

Thanks for the reply. I am still waiting for the customcans pads to complete my upgrade. Really happy with the HD25. I just wish it has a better soundstage and not as bright as sometimes it is sibilant.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #3,101 of 3,348
Thanks for the reply. I am still waiting for the customcans pads to complete my upgrade. Really happy with the HD25. I just wish it has a better soundstage and not as bright as sometimes it is sibilant.

The HD 25 is not a hifi headphone. It's a DJ headphone. It can be pushed way outside its envelope and still sing but there are headphones that are much better in most ways. They scale amazingly, but other Sennheisers scale even more.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #3,102 of 3,348
The HD 25 is not a hifi headphone. It's a DJ headphone. It can be pushed way outside its envelope and still sing but there are headphones that are much better in most ways. They scale amazingly, but other Sennheisers scale even more.
But for metal and electronic music and for a low price. These are amazing

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #3,103 of 3,348
But for metal and electronic music and for a low price. These are amazing

Sure they are. They're even amazing for classical. I listened to some 352KHz PCM out of my RME DAC and the headphones just disappeared and I was there in the concert hall. It was a mind blowing experience. I'm just saying with the low price and high performance and all the other benefits of the HD 25, some minor faults here and there are ok :)

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #3,104 of 3,348
Sure they are. They're even amazing for classical. I listened to some 352KHz PCM out of my RME DAC and the headphones just disappeared and I was there in the concert hall. It was a mind blowing experience. I'm just saying with the low price and high performance and all the other benefits of the HD 25, some minor faults here and there are ok :)
Any of course very portable and we can use them outside without fear of breaking them. Question is what is an upgrade in this type of sound signature

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #3,105 of 3,348

Yeah. As we know, there is no perfect headphone. But if the HD25 had a wider soundstage and less sibilance, it would be perfect. :):L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back