hd25-1 impressions thread
May 19, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #2,821 of 3,348
  http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/headphone_earphone_cbl/hpc-hd25.html

I got this one in black and it's awesome. Much more flexible, sleeker and shorter to suit my needs with the HD25 in the gym or when commute. Love it. Mind you, there's no difference to my ears compared to the stock cable...

They look pretty legit! Shall have to see if I can source them in Europe. 

May 19, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,823 of 3,348
I was thinking of getting a Pono player and a balanced cable for the HD25/Pono combo.  Has anyone else considered doing the same thing?

May 19, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,824 of 3,348

Maybe your ear pads have compressed?  Maybe time for new thicker pads?  Those from Yaxi look very tempting...

I dont know about the ear pads, they might've. Still sounds amaizing though, and they're actually more comfortable, but i was wondering if they had more isolation back when i first got them.
Yea those Yaxi looked pretty sweet... Till i saw the price haha. Living in a third world country doesnt help much with it.

May 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2,825 of 3,348
  Current HD25's successor will probably be HD25-1-III or HD25-1-IV or something long before there's an HD27 or so to take its spot.

Is it an insider information you just forgot to put "In my opinion" at the end of your sentence? :wink:

May 19, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,826 of 3,348

I grabbed the last one from ebay (they actually shipped it from the UK) and I think there's a few left around amazon shipped from Japan but for horrendous prices, like 300$ and above.

May 19, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #2,827 of 3,348
Well.... Something interesting just happened.... Today i received the "like new" hd25 basic edition i ordered from amazon....

Guess what.... They already have the new clicking sliders. The hd25 i had before was smooth on the sliders and really easy to make them go up and down but the sliders on this one make a loud click and they require a bit of strenght to make the cups slide up or down..... This one must be one from the last batches of basic edition hd25s. Cool, now i am definitly happy i didnt drop 150 new for a brand new 2016 hd25. I got the best of both previous and current generation, the white lettering and double sennheiser logo on the headband combined with the new sliding mechanism.... Only way it could be better was if it had the made in ireland logo, but maybe the last batches of hd25-1 ii (the ones with the bag and extra pads and the made in ireland logo) also have the newer sliding mechanism....

Regarding sound.... Well at first, and since i had them before i was expecting a lot of clarity.... At least it was the idea of sound from the previous hd25s i had, punchy, agressive and clear.... But this one at first i found them to be a bit muffled sounding.... But this may also be a effect of having been using the hd598 and dt770 for the last 2 months wich have a super clear and open sound. I am leaving the hd25s burning in through the night to see if there is any improvement (dont know if the person who had them before did this but they seem so new i doubt it).... At least after an hour with them i was already liking them a lot lot more (with a bit of equing to the mix as well wich i already used on my previuous hd25).... Lets see if they sound any different after 10 hours.... :wink:

...the steel cable also seems slightly thinner (but something really bareally noticeable) than the previous hd25 i had but i cant swear on this.... May Be my memory playing tricks on me.... After all all my last 3 headphones had thicker cables (hd598, dt770, m50x)....

May 19, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2,828 of 3,348
Have you tried pressing the cups against your ears to get an idea of how the sound will change as the pads flatten with time and use?

How thick are your 770 pads?  If that pads aren't that worn, DT770 is quite incredibly bright, but if worn, it is more tame, not so over-the-top.  Not much brighter than a stock HD25.  Worst case scenario: your HD25 is defective.

May 20, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #2,830 of 3,348
I have contacted that japanese seller on amazon if we was ready to give me a discount but he declined. You might try it too, maybe he changed his mind by now...FYI mine'd cost 100$ shipping included from the UK.

May 20, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,831 of 3,348

Have checked out Custom Cans, in the UK?

https://www.customcans.co.uk/

They have all kinds of HD25 stuff, including replacement and upgrade cables.  Turns out they also carry those Yaxi earpads I'm eye balling...

May 21, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,832 of 3,348

Have checked out Custom Cans, in the UK?

https://www.customcans.co.uk/

They have all kinds of HD25 stuff, including replacement and upgrade cables.  Turns out they also carry those Yaxi earpads I'm eye balling...

I haven't, but I will now! Seriously go for them if you can, I really think they were the best possible upgrade for the 25s. 

May 22, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #2,833 of 3,348
Have you tried pressing the cups against your ears to get an idea of how the sound will change as the pads flatten with time and use?

How thick are your 770 pads?  If that pads aren't that worn, DT770 is quite incredibly bright, but if worn, it is more tame, not so over-the-top.  Not much brighter than a stock HD25.  Worst case scenario: your HD25 is defective.

I doubt this hd25s are defective. I think i found them a bit awkward sounding at first because of a group of factors..... First i have been using spacious sounding headphones for the last 2 months.... When you get something on ear after so much time using big over ears i think its normal for you to find the sound a bit boomy or cramped. Then i usually use rock eqs.... I was used to using my previous hd25s on my 4th gen ipod touch.... The rock eq on my ipod touch was v shaped but it made the sound tighter because itt was not too v shaped. This time with the new hd25s i tested them at first with my vodafone smart ultra 6, in wich i was also using a rock eq, but this v shaped eq in this case it is muuuuuuch more exagerated on the midbass and i think thats why i thought they sounded a bit boomy. I changed the eq on the smart ultra 6 to "normal" wich is a more slight v shaped eq and now it is much closer to the sound i heard on my ipod before (hd25s are super sensible to equing). Also i had tested them and let them burn with a first gen moto g and even with the eqs turned off, the moto g is too bassy sounding. So i trully believe eqs and sources are the issue here.

I stopped using my ipod since i got my premium subscription of spotify (cant have spotify on the ipod because of the outdated software). But to make sure i took my ipod out of the drawer, charged it, used the same music and eq i used with my previous hd25s and there it was.... The beautiful sound i was used too from my previous hd25s. :)

But as you stated, it can also bes because the pads are new. I still think they are a tiny tiny bit more bass heavy but the sound is still punchy and controlled and the highs extension i always loved os still there. Maybe they will get a bit better with use, maybe i will get more used to them again but i highly doubt they are a defective pair because they still sound great with the proper settings and sources.

About what you said of the dt770.... I have a love/hate relation with those. Got the, thinking they would be a roomier, more spacious sounding hd25 or m50x (everyone here raves about them being bassy or sucked out on the mids) and in the end i just found the to be nice sounding..... Spacious, yeah, well separated sounds and layers, but the hd25 and m50x are much more fun and punchy.

Edit: ....outdated drivers my ***....no other other headphone can make ilan bluestone's "Big Ben" sound as big, punchy, powerfull and clear and controlled at the same time as the hd25..... Goosebumps!!! :D
The m50x is pretty close though.... :)

May 23, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,834 of 3,348
For me, DT770 is more spacious sounding than HD25 and M50(x).  Before and after the minor modifications I've done to it.
As far as M50 and M50x, I'm not a fan of the stock sound at all, but I do love it a lot with HD280 pads or HM5s.  Those ATH drivers really do a great job with acoustic timbres, better than most headphones in general.  It is a fine all-rounder, too.
I put acoustic foam in my HD25's cups, in imitation of the Amperior, so it achieves clearer bass but at the expense of a little of its punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back