hd25-1 impressions thread
May 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,566 of 3,348

+1

Arrived earlier than expected and are definitely a step up from the stock steel cable. Great for the price. I'll be buying another one (or two) for emergencies. Definitely miss my Midnight HD25 cables from BTG Audio though. Probably pick up an Oyaide cable eventually to 
biggrin.gif

Shots with the new cabling:

Your HD25 looks like my HD25. 
cool.gif

I saw this going on eBay Australia a few days ago.

Sennheiser Day & Night DJ Headphone set. (limited to 500 units)

May 15, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #2,567 of 3,348
  Ive ordered a customcans uk cable a few months ago because I wanted a more solid cable! It definately is... was! ;(
the cable itself is more stable but the jack is the same and it broke :frowning2:

what I actually wanted to ask is, can anybody recommend me a more stable cable with better sound than the stock one?

Sad times. I work at custom cans - most of our stuff has a 2yr warranty so we can probably sort you out without having to buy another one. What cable did you buy?

May 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #2,568 of 3,348
Hey there! :Its good to know that it has a 2 year warranty :D and its cool that people who work at custom cans are here in this forum! :)

I bought the cable on ebay.  I think it was the sennheiser replacement cable 1.5 m angled jack for HD 25 headphones black with red stripes. Sorry for asking: what do I have to do to get a replacement replacement cable? :wink:

May 18, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #2,569 of 3,348
  Hey there! :Its good to know that it has a 2 year warranty :D and its cool that people who work at custom cans are here in this forum! :)

I bought the cable on ebay.  I think it was the sennheiser replacement cable 1.5 m angled jack for HD 25 headphones black with red stripes. Sorry for asking: what do I have to do to get a replacement replacement cable? :wink:

Just send a message and a picture of the problem through and eBay message or email and we can give you the options

May 18, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #2,570 of 3,348
  For those interested in good quality replacement cables this eBay maker has them quite cheap. 

The quality is good, correctly terminated at the cable clamp join, copper wire. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Replacement-Cable-for-Sennheiser-HD25-HD-25-1-HD25-1-II-headphones-/201097591469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ed259baad

The only difference with these cables is the connection side will now run down the right hand side of the headphones (meaning left/right). I have no idea why it was designed this way when it could have been simple, but they're good cables and save lots of money. 

Here's my pair of HD25 with brand new pads and ^ the new cable ^

+1

Arrived earlier than expected and are definitely a step up from the stock steel cable. Great for the price. I'll be buying another one (or two) for emergencies. Definitely miss my Midnight HD25 cables from BTG Audio though. Probably pick up an Oyaide cable eventually to 
biggrin.gif

Shot of the new cabling and one with the aluminium leatherette ear pads:

+2

I want to thank H20 for posting the Cable recommendation with the Ebay Seller. I discovered some time ago it is a mine field out there for these Cables, and I did not take the plunge. With your previous Post I finally took the plunge.

I am listening as I type, and Very Impressed with the Sound.

Cable arrived blazing fast with a one time screwdriver also to remove the Clamp.

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2,572 of 3,348
I bought two pair of headphones in a charity shop recently for £2.00. One pair which looked good which I thought I'd keep and one pair which looked scruffy and odd and which I thought I'd probably stick on Ebay. The keepers I listened to for an hour or so. Yeah, pretty good, I thought. Then I gave the Ebay-bound ones a go. I haven't willing used the 'keepers' since. The 'keepers' were a pair of AKG K452's. You can probably guess what the Ebay-bound phones turned out to be. Needless to say I am not going to sell them now. They have, quite genuinely, changed my life.

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #2,573 of 3,348
I bought two pair of headphones in a charity shop recently for £2.00. One pair which looked good which I thought I'd keep and one pair which looked scruffy and odd and which I thought I'd probably stick on Ebay. The keepers I listened to for an hour or so. Yeah, pretty good, I thought. Then I gave the Ebay-bound ones a go. I haven't willing used the 'keepers' since. The 'keepers' were a pair of AKG K452's. You can probably guess what the Ebay-bound phones turned out to be. Needless to say I am not going to sell them now. They have, quite genuinely, changed my life.

My HD25 were rebuilt from two salvaged eBay pairs, I had a ball putting them together. Found some genuine pads new for $20, cable from China for about $18, one driver from each (haha). Heated the sliders on the cups with a heat gun to remould and tighten them.

Once they were up and running I used them daily for about 3 weeks on end with FiiO's X1 player (nice sound)

I appreciate HD25, they're legendary for a reason. The design is one of the best ever made.

My rebuilt HD25.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #2,574 of 3,348
You know, even though I own Sennheiser Amperior and (for me) hear it may be the higher skilled headphone, I still fall back to my HD25. It has that unique tone and kind of house sound, maybe the stealth black appearance contributes to some extent.

I also had the amperior and much prefered the hd25. Not also because the sound was much more agressive and engaging but also due to the build since the metal cups on the amperior makes them heavier and therefore harder to find a nice fit.

Have tou already tried the hd25 alu? If yes do you still prefer the regular hd25? Main differences?

Cheers

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #2,575 of 3,348
I also had the amperior and much prefered the hd25. Not also because the sound was much more agressive and engaging but also due to the build since the metal cups on the amperior makes them heavier and therefore harder to find a nice fit.

Have tou already tried the hd25 alu? If yes do you still prefer the regular hd25? Main differences?

Cheers

I haven't tried the HD25 Alu yet.

Interesting enough I'm looking at pair atm, just a matter of how high the priority is also atm.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #2,576 of 3,348
I haven't tried the HD25 Alu yet.

Interesting enough I'm looking at pair atm, just a matter of how high the priority is also atm.

I was too.... But for now i am going to test womething new.... The dt770 pro 80ohm... If i dont like them i am going for the momentum over ear 2.0. Had the first momentum and thought it was a very nice compliment to the hd25 but unfortunatelynthe small pads ruined it for me.

I trully believe that the hd25 alu can be better than the regular hd25 but there are a couple of reasons for me to justify skipping it.... First inprefer the all black look on the regular one, second the alus are heavier, third i am no moddder and the 2 metre cable would made portability harder, and for last if i have problems and if i need to replacemany part on my hd25!it will be much easie and cheaper to find parts for it than for the alus.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,577 of 3,348
I was too.... But for now i am going to test womething new.... The dt770 pro 80ohm... If i dont like them i am going for the momentum over ear 2.0. Had the first momentum and thought it was a very nice compliment to the hd25 but unfortunatelynthe small pads ruined it for me.

I trully believe that the hd25 alu can be better than the regular hd25 but there are a couple of reasons for me to justify skipping it.... First inprefer the all black look on the regular one, second the alus are heavier, third i am no moddder and the 2 metre cable would made portability harder, and for last if i have problems and if i need to replacemany part on my hd25!it will be much easie and cheaper to find parts for it than for the alus.

Maybe we should just stick to the proven, tested original HD25-II? I mean.. how much better can the Alu be? The Amperior is nice - a slight upgrade though I purchased them very cheap and they don't get used enough as it is.

Maybe a few months ago I'd be more interested in the Alu, when I went a bit HD25 clucky. (during the rebuild)

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,578 of 3,348
I think the beauty of the HD25's (as well as sound) is their lightness, functionality and durability. The plastics used for the capsules must be the toughest known to man. They seem immune to scratches or breakage. Look like new after years of use/abuse

I think the alloy cups detract from the original design ethos and what the 25's all about. Don't expect to see those being used professionaly any time soon

The Aluniniums pads however should be the automatic choice when the time comes to change. Can be worn almost indefinitely so comfortable are they imo.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #2,579 of 3,348
Maybe we should just stick to the proven, tested original HD25-II? I mean.. how much better can the Alu be? The Amperior is nice - a slight upgrade though I purchased them very cheap and they don't get used enough as it is.

Maybe a few months ago I'd be more interested in the Alu, when I went a bit HD25 clucky. (during the rebuild)

Or you can try the HD25 balanced...

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,580 of 3,348

For me the amperior was a downgrade.... i got it cheap too (100 euros a year ago) and in part i loved the idea of having a kind of a limited edition of a legendary headphone that was suitable for mp3's and phones and etc.... but volume never was an issue with the hd25 when plugged to those devices...

As i said at the beggining the amperior was a downgrade for me, not only for the reasons i already listed above but also in terms of sound quality and here's why.... the hd25 is know for being a agressive and engaging headphone but overall with great balance.... for instance i had the ath m50 and much prefered the hd25 because although the soundstage is unexistent (not that the m50 has much more), the mids and highs are miles better than the mids (recessed) and highs (unnatural and plasticky) on the m50's.... in my opinion they kind of screwed what made the hd25 unique on the amperior.... they elevated the bass and i saw a lot of people saying it was tighter... not for me! it was boomier and kind of starting to touch the boomy side (and i like bass, i am not a basshead but bass is important to me because i listen to a lot of edm... i hater steryle headphones and also wanted a touch more bass on the hd25's but not like that....).... They toned down the mids and highs, this made the amperior sound noticebly warm but also in comparison with the hd25, the hd25, sounded much more lively, with much better resolution and more detail to my ear. the amperior just sounded like a toned down, bassier (muffled is maybe to strong) version of the hd25....

I also had a rough time trying to decide wich to keep but i think it was mostly that limited edition feeling than anything else.... i guess i was forcing myself to like the amperios when i loved the hd25 much more... after a year with both, my hd25 was the headphone i would always pick for more agressive rock and edm and even for other styles i would still prefer the hd25 over the amperior.... my amperior basically spent a year in the box and was only picked up for comparisons with the hd25.... sold it for 150 euros 4 weeks ago and i dont regret it... I admit just one thing... the hd25 sounded a bit grainier when compared to the amperior, but still that was barely noticeable...

What other people say its better its not necessarely better for us.... hype is a *****.... i did not rest until i got the amperior because i was always reading it was better in sound, in confort, in everything over the hd25 and in the end it was just a disappointment.... thats why i am not that interested on getting the alu's... i am too scared of getting disappointed again and also the reasons i mentioned above are more than enough to make me not want them.... its not even a question of price, for example on thomann the hd25-1 ii and the alu's cost exactly the same 175 euros. Still being the same price i think i would rather pick the regular hd25. Not only because i trust it and love but it also due to resell value... there's always a dj or producer on the hunt for a hd25.... its the easiest headphone to sell and not loose many as well.

@godbluff
Are the pads on the alu's much better? You putter them on a hd25? They didnt affect the sound? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back