[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jan 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,261 of 1,845
Quote:
I guess i try out the dt 880s first.
I know that I can only get 2-channel audio with that setup but it is way better than those fake simulation 5.1 like Dolby Headphone in my opinion. I might get a true 5.1 System later on.
I have a question about equalizing of Headphones. The e17 gives you options for example in increasing the bass. If i feel a lack of bass, is it recommended to use it?
What are your opinions on this subject? Those the Sound kinda get fake?

Should have no problem using the E17 to increase the bass, but I do not think you would need to use that feature with the DT880 (or DT990).

I'm assuming the PS3 is what you use for gaming?
One option is to get a used Yamaha A/V receiver, Yamaha's come with their own headphone surround sound (Silent Cinema).
A receiver should support both Dolby and DTS audio.
And you can run an HDMI cable from the PS3 to the receiver.
Also a decent receiver should be able to drive 600-Ohm headphones.
Plus you can add a 5.1 speaker setup in the future.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #1,262 of 1,845
Quote:
Should have no problem using the E17 to increase the bass, but I do not think you would need to use that feature with the DT880 (or DT990).

I'm assuming the PS3 is what you use for gaming?
One option is to get a used Yamaha A/V receiver, Yamaha's come with their own headphone surround sound (Silent Cinema).
A receiver should support both Dolby and DTS audio.
And you can run an HDMI cable from the PS3 to the receiver.
Also a decent receiver should be able to drive 600-Ohm headphones.
Plus you can add a 5.1 speaker setup in the future

That was initially my plan buying a Yamaha receiver with silent cinema.
However like i said even if i want to buy one, it would be arround 300~400€ and i doubt those can drive 600 ohm headphones. Silent cinema is the same like Dolby Headphone so a 5.1 simulation which do not like.
Also, i would not want to run an hdmi cable trough a AVR because it may introduce additional input lag. Thats why i would have connected the ps3 with an Optical cable. Thats enough for games which only provide DTS and not DTS HD.

Is it recommended to use an external DAC like the e17 with the PS3? i read that the Ps3 has a good DAC built in but i may consider using the e17.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,263 of 1,845
I recently bought DT 990 Pro ans O2 AMP to work with my Asus DX for gaming and also music like black sabbath, doors, led zeppelin, queen etc.

Can I use the same config for music and gaming?

I have an issue when I try hear sound on left or right side. It look likes that the sound come from the both side. Do you know some site or file to test it? I searched here and I found one topic but the test appears that when the sound come from right side is a "high volume" and left sound is "low volume"
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,264 of 1,845
Quote:

That was initially my plan buying a Yamaha receiver with silent cinema.
However like i said even if i want to buy one, it would be arround 300~400€ and i doubt those can drive 600 ohm headphones. Silent cinema is the same like Dolby Headphone so a 5.1 simulation which do not like.
Also, i would not want to run an hdmi cable trough a AVR because it may introduce additional input lag. Thats why i would have connected the ps3 with an Optical cable. Thats enough for games which only provide DTS and not DTS HD.

Is it recommended to use an external DAC like the e17 with the PS3? i read that the Ps3 has a good DAC built in but i may consider using the e17.

Yamaha's cheapest A/V receiver ($175) can drive 450-Ohm headphones.
So I would think a 3 or 4 year old Yamaha receiver for 200 Euros would drive 600-ohm headphones

S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) if sending thru compressed audio, need to compress at the beginning and uncompress at the other end.
Where as HDMI does not need to compress or uncompress a signal, so I would have assumed HDMI is faster?
As I have no idea what DAC is used in the PS3, I would have no idea on how the PS3 & E17 DACs compare.

Wonder is the PS3 comes with DTS-Surround Sensation? Which is DTS's version of headphone surround sound.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,265 of 1,845
Quote:
So I would think a 3 or 4 year old Yamaha receiver for 200 Euros would drive 600-ohm headphones

RX-V371 can run DT880 600 ohm to very loud levels without clipping or feeling underpowered, tried and tested, normal listening level would be at about 40% at the volume knob, maybe not even that much. Sounds very good as well, not much worse than R-S700 stereo receiver which costs 3 times as much.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,266 of 1,845
Quote:

S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) if sending thru compressed audio, need to compress at the beginning and uncompress at the other end.
Where as HDMI does not need to compress or uncompress a signal, so I would have assumed HDMI is faster?
As I have no idea what DAC is used in the PS3, I would have no idea on how the PS3 & E17 DACs compare.

Wonder is the PS3 comes with DTS-Surround Sensation? Which is DTS's version of headphone surround sound.

So, a Yamaha RX-V473 could drive a 600 ohm Headphone properly?

I guess you are talking about the audio delay ( lip syncing ), whereas i talk about input lag where you press a buton on the controller and it isnt displayed fast enough. Thats why i want to use an optical cable instead of HDMI, so it only processes the audio not the video.

Now you guys make me question my decision on buying the Fiio e9k/e17 combination.
So you suggest that i would be better off buying the receiver instead of the Fiio?
Is the DAC as good as the e17s? Is the Receiver as neutral as the fiio?

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,267 of 1,845
Quote:
So, a Yamaha RX-V473 could drive a 600 ohm Headphone properly?

I guess you are talking about the audio delay ( lip syncing ), whereas i talk about input lag where you press a button on the controller and it isn't displayed fast enough. That's why i want to use an optical cable instead of HDMI, so it only processes the audio not the video.

Now you guys make me question my decision on buying the Fiio e9k/e17 combination.
So you suggest that i would be better off buying the receiver instead of the Fiio?
Is the DAC as good as the e17s? Is the Receiver as neutral as the fiio?

I'm not sure on the Yamaha RX-V473, might be best to email Yamaha's tech support and check with them.
I use a Yamaha RX-V671, a $550 receiver.
I have not gamed in a while, nor have I ever used a PS3 (installed one once), so feel free to double check my "opinions" on this.
A receiver's headphone output jack usually has a high impedance, so you do not want to use low impedance headphones with receivers.
Headphones over 100-Ohms would be ok, 250-Ohm or above is fine.
You can input S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) or HDMI into a receiver, so just use whichever works best for you.
I like receivers because you get both Dolby & DTS audio support, so your fully covered (audio wise) for gaming, DVD & Blu-ray movies, with a gaming console (like the PS3).
The PS3 is mostly based on DTS audio
DVD movie are more likely to use Dolby, Blu-ray movies & PS3 gaming would use DTS.
I believe the Astro Mix-Amp is Dolby only(?), (have not looked into the newest model).

I would guess the E17 would have a better DAC then low costing receivers.
Not sure how much you would have to spend to match (or better) the E17's DAC.

These are all my personal opinions.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,268 of 1,845
Quick Question:

The shop i am buying from sells the:

BEYERDYNAMIC DT 880 Edition 600 Ohm PREMIUM Headphones DT880   http://www.madooma.com/shopHP/neu_beyerdynamic/BEYERDYNAMIC_DT_880_Edition_600_Ohm_PREMIUM_Kopfhoerer_DT880.html

The word "Edition" makes me worried. Is it the normal dt 880 Zmbie_X reviewed?
It isnt the 2005 edition, atleast it was not written there. So i guess it is the Premium version with a lighter grip?

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,269 of 1,845
Quote:
I recently bought DT 990 Pro ans O2 AMP to work with my Asus DX for gaming and also music like black sabbath, doors, led zeppelin, queen etc.

Can I use the same config for music and gaming?

I have an issue when I try hear sound on left or right side. It look likes that the sound come from the both side. Do you know some site or file to test it? I searched here and I found one topic but the test appears that when the sound come from right side is a "high volume" and left sound is "low volume"
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Do you get the same problem with the headphones plugged directly into the sound card ?

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,270 of 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The shop i am buying from sells the:

BEYERDYNAMIC DT 880 Edition 600 Ohm PREMIUM Headphones DT880   http://www.madooma.com/shopHP/neu_beyerdynamic/BEYERDYNAMIC_DT_880_Edition_600_Ohm_PREMIUM_Kopfhoerer_DT880.html

The word "Edition" makes me worried. Is it the normal dt 880 Zmbie_X reviewed?

Yes, "edition (2005)" and "premium" are the same. There are only four versions: the three impedances of the edition/premium, and the 250 Ω pro with the clampy headband and coiled cord.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,271 of 1,845
Quote:

Yes, "edition (2005)" and "premium" are the same. There are only four versions: the three impedances of the edition/premium, and the 250 Ω pro with the clampy headband and coiled cord.

If it is the 2005 edition, than should it be not different from the pro oneß

I read in a german HIFI-Forum that the Eidition has less Bass because of the lighter grip. It is supposed to be brighter with less soundstage aswell.

I just want to be really sure to buy the right ones..

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,272 of 1,845
Quote:
If it is the 2005 edition, than should it be not different from the pro oneß

"Premium" = "edition" = "edition 2005" are all the same. It is only the "pro" (also available at the same shop) that is different. There was an older 2003 version, and some even older ones, but those are obviously no longer manufactured or sold new.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #1,273 of 1,845
Quote:

"Premium" = "edition" = "edition 2005" are all the same. It is only the "pro" (also available at the same shop) that is different. There was an older 2003 version, and some even older ones, but those are obviously no longer manufactured or sold new.

Well i cant find any 600 ohm pro there only 250.

So, again are Pro and Premium/Edition from the sound identical? Like i said the german forum made my hesitating.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,274 of 1,845
Lol.

I just looked at the Beyerdyamics site: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs/faq-for-headphones.html
There seem to be differences. Pro designed for Studio listening, Edition for easy home listening. The Edition also is likely t have a more transparent and open Sound.

Now what makes me wonder, is that Zombie_X seemed to have Reviewed the Edition not the Pro one. If you look at the Headphone, you will notice some Metal plates above each cup.
So i guess i should go with the Edition?

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,275 of 1,845
Quote:
Well i cant find any 600 ohm pro there only 250.

So, again are Pro and Premium/Edition from the sound identical? Like i said the German forum made my hesitating.

Beyerdynamic 600-Ohm "Pro" versions are very very rare.

From my best understanding, a 250-Ohm Pro and 250-Ohm Premium (2005 edition) would have the same guts on the inside.

I would say just to get the Pro 250-Ohm model, I have the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones and they sound fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back