[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Dec 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,246 of 1,845
Quote:
Update on the DT 770 LE. Didn't sound all that great right out of the box, a bit dull compared to Triple Fi 10 and something sounded a bit off. Looks pretty baller though, just like the photos, and comfort is next-level, seems lighter than the Beyers I've tried before. Burned in for a while, and then noticed that I had been wearing them the wrong way, silly me.

The next day I put them on and they sound incredible. Doesn't have the monstrous bass of the 80 ohms but still extends as deep with a much more balanced presentation. They have that sparkle in the treble without the boost you'd see in a smiley curve phone. Mids are definitely there, can't really tell if there's a slight smidge of recession or not because the other phones I own are the TF10, Fischer FA-011, and CAL, but I'm happy with them. Soundstage is great for a closed can, beats the TF10 and FA-011 in that regard as well as in resolution.

Overall very pleased with the purchase, these are a very complete package in terms of sound, comfort, and aesthetics. Can't confirm if they really have the same drivers as the 250 ohms, but they definitely sound different from the 80s, more natural and put together albeit without the amazing bass impact, more like a closed 880 or 990. But as an all-rounder can't really ask for more.

Really a Closed 990... I always though the 990 had that monster bass impact... well not monster but some NICE tight bass... DONT CALL THEM CLOSED 990s xD I need the 990s to be my mid bass can <3

still good to hear they sound nice :D

WooT! got my Indeed G3 hooked up to my Dt 880 250ohms it's REVIEW TIME!

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #1,247 of 1,845
After reading LOTS of topics and this entire thread, I'm almost decided to get a pair of DT990. I'm looking for an open headphone with very good bass and it seems this model will suit me pretty well. I'm mostly listening to hip-hop and electronic... I hope it will do OK with these genres. (btw, if there are any other models/brands you can still recommend me as I'm not in a hurry to buy, but I think I checked almost everything...and I don't want Senns).

I have an Audinst mx1 DAC+AMP which is supposed to drive up to 600ohm, so 300ohm is quite easy from what I've read.

Choosing from the different impedance models, I would go with the 250ohm pair. I think it's safe and I will get the maximum from them with my setup.

The problem for me is that I'm confused about the PRO and PREMIUM models...
blink.gif
. The price for PRO is around 150EUR while the one for PREMIUM 280EUR. Is it really worth to the price diference? From what I've read, the premium is indeed a bit better and more refined...but still...it is costs 80% more. I would pay that amount for a pair of headphones, but when I see there's  a similar model so much cheaper makes me think... (btw, do you know a good place in Europe where to get these,other than ebay and amazon.de?)

Choosing headphones is so hard!

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #1,248 of 1,845
Quote:
After reading LOTS of topics and this entire thread, I'm almost decided to get a pair of DT990. I'm looking for an open headphone with very good bass and it seems this model will suit me pretty well. I'm mostly listening to hip-hop and electronic... I hope it will do OK with these genres. (btw, if there are any other models/brands you can still recommend me as I'm not in a hurry to buy, but I think I checked almost everything...and I don't want Senns).

I have an Audinst mx1 DAC+AMP which is supposed to drive up to 600ohm, so 300ohm is quite easy from what I've read.

Choosing from the different impedance models, I would go with the 250ohm pair. I think it's safe and I will get the maximum from them with my setup.

The problem for me is that I'm confused about the PRO and PREMIUM models...
blink.gif
. The price for PRO is around 150EUR while the one for PREMIUM 280EUR. Is it really worth to the price diference? From what I've read, the premium is indeed a bit better and more refined...but still...it is costs 80% more. I would pay that amount for a pair of headphones, but when I see there's  a similar model so much cheaper makes me think... (btw, do you know a good place in Europe where to get these,other than ebay and amazon.de?)

Choosing headphones is so hard!

The difference between the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and the DT990 Premium 250-Ohm is the premium makes Beyerdynamic a lot more profit.
Otherwise the Premium version has a lighter grip on your head.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #1,249 of 1,845
^This. The Premium and Pro 250ohm are identical in sound. Just more clamp and less aesthetically pleasing exterior on the Pros.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,250 of 1,845
Hmm...ok, thanks for the replies. Weird marketing.
I read a few comments that the Premiums are a bit "better" or more refined, but still....even if there is a difference, I don't think the huge price difference is also that big in sq.
I'll still read a few things more before buying, but I guess I should be happy with the DT 990 PRO - 250 ohm.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #1,251 of 1,845
Quote:
[...] (btw, do you know a good place in Europe where to get these,other than ebay and amazon.de?) [...]

Try Thomann

http://www.thomann.de

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,252 of 1,845
DT990 Pro for 145 € (from France)
DT990 Pro for 149 € (from Germany)
DT990 Premium 250 Ω for 239 € (from Germany)
DT990 Premium 250 Ω for 231.2 € (from Germany)

Shipping costs are not included in the above prices, and may range from 0 to 20 € depending on your location. Since there is little variation in the price of the Pro version (it is almost always in the 145-149 € range), you would probably want to buy from a reliable seller from which the shipping is cheap or free. Extra cost may also be added depending on the payment method.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #1,253 of 1,845
Hmm...ok, thanks for the replies. Weird marketing.
I read a few comments that the Premiums are a bit "better" or more refined, but still....even if there is a difference, I don't think the huge price difference is also that big in sq.
I'll still read a few things more before buying, but I guess I should be happy with the DT 990 PRO - 250 ohm.

No. The 250ohm premium is the same as the Pro, just different aesthetics. The 600ohm is a little more refined (just a hint), but not as 'fun'. Differences are really only noticeable with a lot of A/B comparisons, and nitpicking. Even had one 600ohm that sounded identical to the Premium 250ohm. I have had 4 600ohms in the house.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #1,254 of 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablobaluba /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The different clamping force is probably responsible for much of any difference in the sound, for example a stronger clamp can increase the amount of bass.
Other than the already mentioned differences, the Pro also has a coiled cord (which is of the same length fully extended, but in practice the usable length is much shorter), and the package does not include a carrying case.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,256 of 1,845
Quote:
250-Ohm headphones seem to max out the Mix-Amp.
Daisy chaining a Fiio E9/E09K or O2 (Objective 2) amplifier will allow you to use 600-ohm headphones with the mix-Amp.
What source(s) will you be connecting the Mix-amp to?
The DT880 is a safer choice over the DT990.

Yup DT880 is a safer choice, the DT990 is more polarizing than DT880 due to it's very v-shaped sound

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,257 of 1,845
I got a Question about the Soundstage difference between the Dt 880/990 600 ohm.

Zombie_X wrote that the 880 Soundsatge is a more in your head feeling while the dt 990 goes arround your head. I am a little confused, since he wrote, with the DT 880 "Layering and imaging of the sound is far better than the other models as well."
I always thought that the "arround your head" feeling provides a better seperation of instuments. Is that wrong?
I can draw only experience from my Dt 770 32 ohm which ahd no Soundstage at all in my opinion.

I also would line to now if there id a differnece between premium and Pro. I found a shop which sells only premium. ( Sorry if this Question has been already answered, i could not find it)
EDIT:

I also decided not to buy a Mixamp because i do not want to have pseudo surround which is downmixed.
That why i decided to hook the PS3 to an e17  via optical, which is pluged in to a e9k. That is why Soundstage is important to me.

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,259 of 1,845
Quote:
I got a Question about the Sound stage difference between the Dt 880/990 600 ohm.
Zombie_X wrote that the 880 Sound satge is a more in your head feeling while the dt 990 goes around your head. I am a little confused, since he wrote, with the DT 880 "Layering and imaging of the sound is far better than the other models as well."
I always thought that the "arround your head" feeling provides a better seperation of instuments. Is that wrong?
I can draw only experience from my Dt 770 32 ohm which ahd no Soundstage at all in my opinion.
I also would line to now if there id a differnece between premium and Pro. I found a shop which sells only premium. ( Sorry if this Question has been already answered, i could not find it)
EDIT:
I also decided not to buy a Mixamp because i do not want to have pseudo surround which is downmixed.
That why i decided to hook the PS3 to an e17  via optical, which is pluged in to a e9k. That is why Soundstage is important to me.

I own both the DT880 600-Ohm & DT990 600-Ohm.
The DT990 are full bass & full treble headphone, which gives the mid range a slightly recessed sound (farther away), but still clear.
Where as the balanced audio of the DT880 makes the mid range seem closer (more in your head).
The biggest difference between the Premium & Pro is the Premiums higher price makes more profit for Beyerdynamic.
Other wise the only difference is the Premium versions have a slightly lighter grip.
Using the E17 with the PS3 will give you 2-channel audio only, zero surround sound for movies and games.

If you get the 600-Ohm version of the DT880 or DT990, better to buy used, much better price,
for something that is really only a little bit better then the 250-Ohm versions.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #1,260 of 1,845
I guess i try out the dt 880s first.

I know that i can only get 2-channel audio with that setup but it is way better than those fake simulation 5.1 like Dolby Headphone in my opinion. I might get a true 5.1 System later on.

I have a question about equalizing of Headphones. The e17 gives you options for example in increasing the bass. If i feel a lack of bass, is it rcommended to use it?
What are your opinions on this subject? Those the Sound kinda get fake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back