[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Dec 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,231 of 1,845
Anyone who has heard the DT 770 32 ohm Anniversary Edition can give a comparison to the other models? There's conflicting info out there, with some saying that the drivers are the same as in the Premium 32 ohm, while others such as Headfonia rave about how they're much superior to the other models, even surpassing the DT 990 600. For what it's worth I'm getting a pair from BHPhoto in a week's time, and can put up impressions then, but I've only heard the 80 ohm very briefly a while ago and can't give a good comparison. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,232 of 1,845
Quote:
Anyone who has heard the DT 770 32 ohm Anniversary Edition can give a comparison to the other models? There's conflicting info out there, with some saying that the drivers are the same as in the Premium 32 ohm, while others such as Headfonia rave about how they're much superior to the other models, even surpassing the DT 990 600. For what it's worth I'm getting a pair from BHPhoto in a week's time, and can put up impressions then, but I've only heard the 80 ohm very briefly a while ago and can't give a good comparison. 

Just read the review from "mike" at headfonia he took too much drugs before trying the headphone or the DT-770 pro LE that i had for a month was a fake one or something else  .(DT-880-600 ohms for me still the best of family )

DT-770 pro LE is a great headphone , but it's still a DT-770 , change the pads and it will be very similar to a DT-770 250 . (the 80 ohms is a bit more bassy)

Getting the softskin pads on DT-770 pro 250 and it will sound like the Pro LE (a bit darker , highs tamed a bit , more bodied bass) but you still recognise dt-770 sound house 

remind me same rave about K550 ... also to much exageration IMO .(Tryed K550 in a store , and yes a good phone but Q/K/70X still better to me ...)

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,234 of 1,845
Quote:
Just read the review from "mike" at headfonia he took too much drugs before trying the headphone or the DT-770 pro LE that i had for a month was a fake one or something else  .(DT-880-600 ohms for me still the best of family )

DT-770 pro LE is a great headphone , but it's still a DT-770 , change the pads and it will be very similar to a DT-770 250 . (the 80 ohms is a bit more bassy)

Getting the softskin pads on DT-770 pro 250 and it will sound like the Pro LE (a bit darker , highs tamed a bit , more bodied bass) but you still recognise dt-770 sound house 

remind me same rave about K550 ... also to much exageration IMO .(Tryed K550 in a store , and yes a good phone but Q/K/70X still better to me ...)

I agree. That review was BS. Standard 770pro and LE sound almost the same.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,235 of 1,845
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. That review was BS. Standard 770pro and LE sound almost the same.

Ah I always suspected that site was a bit shillish.. Out of curiosity did you guys have them at the same time and A/B'ed them, or just going off memory? I will look to compare w/ my friend's 80 ohm, as well as try to find the new AKG K167 to test against. They seem very similar in the same price range and people are going crazy in the thread (variously, better than dt770, d2000, dt880, k701, pro900, hd600; better/same as d5000; top 5 closed under 1k)... The hype train is outta control and I'd like to see if this new breed is much superior to the old guard as is claimed..

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,236 of 1,845
Quote:
Ah I always suspected that site was a bit shillish.. Out of curiosity did you guys have them at the same time and A/B'ed them, or just going off memory? I will look to compare w/ my friend's 80 ohm, as well as try to find the new AKG K167 to test against. They seem very similar in the same price range and people are going crazy in the thread (variously, better than dt770, d2000, dt880, k701, pro900, hd600; better/same as d5000; top 5 closed under 1k)... The hype train is outta control and I'd like to see if this new breed is much superior to the old guard as is claimed..

Gawd yea, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of hearing peoeple RAVE about the K167, it's getting annoying. I'd like to demo the Byer 770 Pro 80's my self though. Just wondering if they will have the THUNDER of the Sony XB [a little less would be accecptble] but still have some decent MID BASS impact as well 

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #1,237 of 1,845
Quote:

For me not a direct comparison , only compared it to K702 for reference . (compared all my cans to K702 ... when i had it)

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #1,238 of 1,845
Hey guys, i am new to this Forum.

I recently purchased the MMX300 (32ohm) + STX and am not impresed by the Sound. I expected a bit more realistically sounding instrumants.

Now i got a couple of Quesiton if you mind answering.

1)
My Settings with the STX are:

2 Channels
PCM 44,1 kHz
Headphone
PCM (disabled)
DPS Mode: HF

Ist that ok so far?

2) I am mostly listening to Videogame Soundtrack like Final Fantasy or Castlevania ( got original CDs ) Is that maybe a problem it may not sound good?

3) Is the MMX as good as a dt 770 (32ohm)? Or is it inferior?

I am struggeling to whether buy the Dt 880 (250-600 ohm) and compare both. I may send my MMX 300 back to Amazon.

I would appreciate your help!

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,239 of 1,845
Quote:
Hey guys, i am new to this Forum.

I recently purchased the MMX300 (32ohm) + STX and am not impresed by the Sound. I expected a bit more realistically sounding instrumants.

Now i got a couple of Quesiton if you mind answering.

1)
My Settings with the STX are:

2 Channels
PCM 44,1 kHz
Headphone
PCM (disabled)
DPS Mode: HF

Ist that ok so far?

2) I am mostly listening to Videogame Soundtrack like Final Fantasy or Castlevania ( got original CDs ) Is that maybe a problem it may not sound good?

3) Is the MMX as good as a dt 770 (32ohm)? Or is it inferior?

I am struggeling to whether buy the Dt 880 (250-600 ohm) and compare both. I may send my MMX 300 back to Amazon.

I would appreciate your help!

The MMX300 (32-Ohm) and the DT770 32-Ohm are the same headphones, just difference paint jobs and maybe differenct ear pads?
So the MMX300 is just a DT770 32-Ohm with a mic added.
I would use DT880s over DT770s for just about everything.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,240 of 1,845
I am not sure if i should get the DT 880 or the 990 ( 600ohm).  I mean i do like Bass and Highs in music so the Dt 990 would be a better choice.
However i do not want anything exeggeratted or overwhelming.
Should i get a more neutral, like the Dt 880?

Also is it recommended to use two amps at the same time?  I want the 600 ohm version to run on my Astro Mixamp but i dont think it can handle it alone. Should i get an additional mixamp?
Are there any drawbacks of using two amps at the same time (Quality)?

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,241 of 1,845
Quote:
I am not sure if i should get the DT 880 or the 990 ( 600ohm).  I mean i do like Bass and Highs in music so the Dt 990 would be a better choice.
However i do not want anything exeggeratted or overwhelming.
Should i get a more neutral, like the Dt 880?

Also is it recommended to use two amps at the same time?  I want the 600 ohm version to run on my Astro Mixamp but I don't think it can handle it alone. Should i get an additional mixamp?
Are there any drawbacks of using two amps at the same time (Quality)?

250-Ohm headphones seem to max out the Mix-Amp.
Daisy chaining a Fiio E9/E09K or O2 (Objective 2) amplifier will allow you to use 600-ohm headphones with the mix-Amp.
What source(s) will you be connecting the Mix-amp to?
The DT880 is a safer choice over the DT990.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,242 of 1,845
I want to connect the mixamp to my PS3.

So i should go with: DT 880 ---> Fiio E9 + Mixamp

I wonder how the Dolby Headphone Mode with the Mixamp works. I tried it out with the STX and was not pleased at all. I expected that the Sound will be coming from every direction in my room but was only "arround my Headset".

Here my Dolby Headphone Mode Settings:

Channels: 8
PCM 44.1 kHz
Headphone
Dolby Headphone
Dolby Pro logic IIx disabled (hear no difference)
7.1 virtual speaker shifter disabled

DSP Mode:
When gaming: Game + GX
Music: music

In my opinion Dolby Headpone Mode is nothing special at all. It even reduces the Soundquality to some degree.

EDIT: What is the difference between a Fiio E9/K ?  The price of the Fiio E9K is more expensive. [30 €]

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,243 of 1,845
Quote:
250-Ohm headphones seem to max out the Mix-Amp.
Daisy chaining a Fiio E9/E09K or O2 (Objective 2) amplifier will allow you to use 600-ohm headphones with the mix-Amp.
What source(s) will you be connecting the Mix-amp to?
The DT880 is a safer choice over the DT990.

Yea if your going to be using the CANS with the MixAmp I assume you'll b gaming. I would use the Dt 880 as well, go with teh 250 ohm as well it's more accurate so if your going to game, I don't think you want "EXTRA bass" as it might be exagerated and throw you off.

Plus it's always good to have a refrance can like the DT 880 250ohm

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #1,244 of 1,845
Update on the DT 770 LE. Didn't sound all that great right out of the box, a bit dull compared to Triple Fi 10 and something sounded a bit off. Looks pretty baller though, just like the photos, and comfort is next-level, seems lighter than the Beyers I've tried before. Burned in for a while, and then noticed that I had been wearing them the wrong way, silly me.

The next day I put them on and they sound incredible. Doesn't have the monstrous bass of the 80 ohms but still extends as deep with a much more balanced presentation. They have that sparkle in the treble without the boost you'd see in a smiley curve phone. Mids are definitely there, can't really tell if there's a slight smidge of recession or not because the other phones I own are the TF10, Fischer FA-011, and CAL, but I'm happy with them. Soundstage is great for a closed can, beats the TF10 and FA-011 in that regard as well as in resolution.

Overall very pleased with the purchase, these are a very complete package in terms of sound, comfort, and aesthetics. Can't confirm if they really have the same drivers as the 250 ohms, but they definitely sound different from the 80s, more natural and put together albeit without the amazing bass impact, more like a closed 880 or 990. But as an all-rounder can't really ask for more.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #1,245 of 1,845
Loving my DT 770 LE's too, they sound like they were designed for me, hehe 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back