[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,216 of 1,845
What if I used the DT 880 premium 250ohm with no amp, will that affect its performance?

You shouldn't bother with any of the Beyers here if you're not going to properly amp them. Dont understand why people would waste 200+ dollars and not properly power their headphones.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,217 of 1,845
Quote:
What if I used the DT 880 premium 250-Ohm with no amp, will that affect its performance?

Beyer DT 880 (DT770 & DT990) 250-Ohm (Pro or Premium) really need a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
My Fiio E11 ($55) can easily drive 250-Ohm headphones.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,218 of 1,845
Hi,

The 250Ohm beyers are lower in sensitivity (96dB) and need a more powerful amplifier. It will get loud enough, but won't perform at it's best. You'll be getting around 80% of what it could do.

Quote:
What if I used the DT 880 premium 250ohm with no amp, will that affect its performance?

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,219 of 1,845
Quote:
Really loving my new DT770Pro 80 Ohm. They're totally different than what people describe them as, at least to me. I expected a dry metallic sounding headphone with lots of bass, but I was, again, as every time until now, totally wrong. I gotta stop reading headphone reviews man, they're all wrong! :p 
I mean, the "lots of bass" thing is true, but they do it in a very refined way, not at all boomy. Its a very solid, subwoofer type bass. They dont have lifted mid-bass, thats as it should be, but sub bass is lifted up, and that gives the bass that feeling of weight, without making it sound muddy.  And I feel they sound very similar to my HD650's. Full mids, vocals sound fuller and more dense than on the DT880's, nice meaty bottom end, and smooth highs, slightly less present than on the DT880's. Surprisingly open sound as well, they don't sound any smaller than DT880 600 ohm to me, and they're more comfortable because ear cups are deeper, so it doesnt touch the ears.

Very good deal. Considering I payed 200$ for them, I'd say you cant beat that sound quality for less or same money, no way. And lets not even get into the build quality... :p

YEA IF you want Sub Woofer SUB bass R@PAGE get the XB700 or XB1000s... most Sub Woofer like bass period END of story
Quote:
DT990 Pro begs to differ. They walk all over the 770/80s.

BUT yea the Dt 990 while it may not have as much Sub bass FACE rape,it is a much better bass can :3. I'm still torn between then Mid Center Dt 990 and the Sub Center XB1000... and the market has been filled with both of them 

but... although I'm working I'm still broke... but that's cuz I waste my money on Lunch... when I should b cooking my own :D  but by Febuary I might have em both ;3

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,220 of 1,845
Quote:
YEA IF you want Sub Woofer SUB bass R@PAGE get the XB700 or XB1000s... most Sub Woofer like bass period END of story

I like overall sound, not just bass.  Thats the best thing about DT770's. They have a lot of bass, but dont sound like bass head headphones, because the bass is not always there. Its only there WHEN needed, and thats how its suppose to be. DT770's sound like monitoring cans, with extra bass to give them some more body. They are also extremely detailed. My most detailed headphones definitely, and that says a lot since I have K550's, Q701's, HD650's, DT880's as well, which are all known to be detailed headphones.  Small nuances come out a lot better on 770's than on the other cans. Soundstage is great as well, like on open headphones almost.  If only the mids were a bit more forward, they'd be perfect, but for 200$, you already get a 400$ sound, so its nothing to complain about.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,221 of 1,845
Quote:

I like overall sound, not just bass.  Thats the best thing about DT770's. They have a lot of bass, but dont sound like bass head headphones, because the bass is not always there. Its only there WHEN needed, and thats how its suppose to be. DT770's sound like monitoring cans, with extra bass to give them some more body.

... then why not go with Dt 880 600 ohms :O as the 250 version can really BUMP when it needs to, and ofc the 600 ohm is a tiny bit warmer

Non the less ;3, the Dt 770 are bass head cans but with detail :D. glad your enjoying them! I still wanna demo some 990s and 770s :[... Need to find a guitar center >.>

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #1,222 of 1,845
Quote:
... then why not go with Dt 880 600 ohms :O

Have them as well. They sound to my ears almost identical to DT770's, with a bit more highs and a bit less sub bass, and a little bit more soundstage. Otherwise, in terms of sound resolution or "fidelity", they're in the same league IMHO.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,223 of 1,845
Quote:

Have them as well. They sound to my ears almost identical to DT770's, with a bit more highs and a bit less sub bass, and a little bit more soundstage. Otherwise, in terms of sound resolution or "fidelity", they're in the same league IMHO.

... I'm sorry to hear that, but yea that's the dt 880 600, a little more Fedelity imo to be honest because they are open cans. Most closed cans have reverb and that's not really to natrual [I think] but a bit more highs and less sub bass with a smaller sound stage to me is more "accurate" but non the less... I jelly of ur cans :[ 

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,224 of 1,845
Hi ,

I'm looking for some advice on the dt770 pro 80 versus 250 ohm. I have an audioengine d1 which i picked up on sale recently.
Will the d1 drive the 250ohm version adequately? I don't listen to music too loud. 
I listen to a lot of trance, house music and hip hop. Would the 80 be better due to more bass? I don't want crazy amounts of bass but is there a significant difference? 
Also once in a blue moon i might use them with my nexus 4 phone unamped when travelling. i dont need it too loud so will they be ok then?
The thing is the 250 are $165 and available immediately, and the 80s are $185 and available end of december. Just not sure if the difference is significant enough to wait and pay more. 

Thanks! Any advice would be great

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,225 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi ,

I'm looking for some advice on the dt770 pro 80 versus 250 ohm. I have an audioengine d1 which i picked up on sale recently.
Will the d1 drive the 250ohm version adequately? I don't listen to music too loud. 
I listen to a lot of trance, house music and hip hop. Would the 80 be better due to more bass? I don't want crazy amounts of bass but is there a significant difference? 
Also once in a blue moon i might use them with my nexus 4 phone unamped when travelling. i dont need it too loud so will they be ok then?
The thing is the 250 are $165 and available immediately, and the 80s are $185 and available end of december. Just not sure if the difference is significant enough to wait and pay more. 

Thanks! Any advice would be great

I'd go for the 80 ohm since you like Trance. For me trance is all about the Highs and the Lows, and you can eq slighty less bass ALOT easier than you can Eq more bass... trust me

Also here is a though about impedance... impedance has a direct influeance on what's called "counter Force" and this "counter force" in headphones is apprently what allows the head phone to quickly expand and shrink it's Magnectic feild, so the shape of the Mag Feild is what makes each can have a unique sound. Ofc I'm not stating that as fact, that's just something and eletronics friend of mine shared with me this weekend, which I though was cool! Why do different impedance cans sound different... because the impedance affects the shape of each cans Mag Feild, which in turns changes it's Freq Response and there for it's sound :D [I never grasped why the 600ohm dt 880 had more bass, but that explanition satisfied my lack of grasping]

But in addition, I think that also explains why the Pr0 80 Ohm has more bass than the 250, with the Dt 770, the Voice coil's impedance apprently has a HUGE affect on it's sound depending on the ohms... so I'd go with More bass and eq it dwn than less bass and have to eq it up... although if you can demo both... do so and if you can buy and return that would also work wonders! 

So I've heard that the 770 Pro 80 has more Sub Bass an Detail than the Xb1000... hmm I think I might try them... I like Dt 880, want dt 990 why not go ahead and get dt 770! One can for Sub, Mid and Linear bass! 

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,226 of 1,845
Quote:
But in addition, I think that also explains why the Pr0 80 Ohm has more bass than the 250, with the Dt 770, the Voice coil's impedance apprently has a HUGE affect on it's sound depending on the ohms... so I'd go with More bass and eq it dwn than less bass and have to eq it up... although if you can demo both... do so and if you can buy and return that would also work wonders! 

So I've heard that the 770 Pro 80 has more Sub Bass an Detail than the Xb1000... hmm I think I might try them... I like Dt 880, want dt 990 why not go ahead and get dt 770! One can for Sub, Mid and Linear bass! 

its to my understanding that all the different impedance versions sound exactly the same and IF differences exist, they are minor and insignificant. however, this is just based on what other members of the forum told me. personally i only own the 250 ohm version.

about eqing the bass. iv found these are very bass capable, i personally boost the bass/sub-bass/both between 3-10 db and i havnt encountered any clipping. sometimes after about 5-6 db the bass does start to overwhelm the rest of the music though.

sub bass? again, i havnt heard the xb1000 but i cant say the dt770s have such spectacular sub bass, again, i usually boost it by atleast 3db... 
the great thing is, eqing works fantastically with these cans. i dont know if all cans respond so well to eqing, but these certainly do =]

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #1,227 of 1,845
Thanks Guys,

Think ill wait it out and stick with the 80's. They just seem to be the better fit for me and i don't have a great amp yet either. I'll try and find a place to demo them, since it'll be almost a month till those 80's come in. Also liking the idea of a straight cable over the coiled one on the 250's. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #1,228 of 1,845
Quote:
its to my understanding that all the different impedance versions sound exactly the same and IF differences exist, they are minor and insignificant. however, this is just based on what other members of the forum told me. personally i only own the 250 ohm version.

about eqing the bass. iv found these are very bass capable, i personally boost the bass/sub-bass/both between 3-10 db and i havnt encountered any clipping. sometimes after about 5-6 db the bass does start to overwhelm the rest of the music though.

sub bass? again, i havnt heard the xb1000 but i cant say the dt770s have such spectacular sub bass, again, i usually boost it by atleast 3db... 
the great thing is, eqing works fantastically with these cans. i dont know if all cans respond so well to eqing, but these certainly do =]

Dude it's pretty commonly agreed that the Dt 770 Pro 80 Ohm sounds completely different from the others. The Dt 880 and 990 have many similarities in the sound amoung the ohms [while the dt 880 600 ohm has the most bass of the 880] and the Dt 990 the 250 ohm has the "punchiest" bass of the three

but I'm willing to bet the 770 Pro 80 holds up for it's reputation of being ENTIRELY different from the others [the other dt 770 ohm cans] 

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #1,229 of 1,845
Quote:
Dude it's pretty commonly agreed that the Dt 770 Pro 80 Ohm sounds completely different from the others. The Dt 880 and 990 have many similarities in the sound amoung the ohms [while the dt 880 600 ohm has the most bass of the 880] and the Dt 990 the 250 ohm has the "punchiest" bass of the three

but I'm willing to bet the 770 Pro 80 holds up for it's reputation of being ENTIRELY different from the others [the other dt 770 ohm cans] 

many things are commonly agreed. that doesnt make them true. ill believe it when i hear it. seeing as i wont be hearing it, ill remain skeptical. note that i made it clear that i wasnt in the know and only offered information given to me by others. i never said that what i was saying was a fact. i thought the op should get the other side of the story as well, thats all.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,230 of 1,845
Quote:
many things are commonly agreed. that doesnt make them true. ill believe it when i hear it. seeing as i wont be hearing it, ill remain skeptical. note that i made it clear that i wasnt in the know and only offered information given to me by others. i never said that what i was saying was a fact. i thought the op should get the other side of the story as well, thats all.

Here is the big thing I forgot to add... 770 is closed 880 and 990 are open! There's a big objective differeance, and realize ofc to that "differances" are MAYBE at most like 25% better [which is gracious] because with music and Audio Gear the Subtle Differances are key

Also the Dt 770 Pro 80 has a heavier Driver [hence is why there's more bass] so by entirely, I mean the Sublties of each are cleary different. Like the Differeance between Milk and Dark Chocolate, both are chocolate but the details of each are different. Some ppl think Dark Chocolate is too Bitter, I think Milk Chocolate is too sweet... but at the end of the day it's still chocolate :D

But the main point here is... you my friend have convienced me to get teh Dt 770 Pro 80 [Pro not Prem 250, need that heavier driver <3] The Xb700's are nice but... seriosuly they are selling NEW for like $180... I can sell my Modded Pair for like $120-$140. With the bizzare price increase of Sony XB's and the recent drop in Byer Dt's I think it's time for me to try the 770s :D [and I eq my Xb700s by about +5 for Mid bass]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back