[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,171 of 1,845
Hi,

I've spoken with Pete Carini and he told me the 32Ohm DT770 is similar in tone to the Premium DT770, so it will be quite light in the bass. So no throbbing bass here.

Quote:
can anyone here that has tried the dt 770 (32 ohm) LE and the dt 990 pro give me a idea about the difference in bass between these 2 ? thanks.

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,172 of 1,845
Quote:
the cmoy IS a 60$ tube! 

... really then where is the TUBE IN IT... xD I have a cMoy my friend and well there's no tune in it :D
Quote:
Hi,

I've spoken with Pete Carini and he told me the 32Ohm DT770 is similar in tone to the Premium DT770, so it will be quite light in the bass. So no throbbing bass here.

Yea I figured the Premiums would have a more balanced sound, I hear that ALOT of most Premium Byer cans lol. Pros All day xD they seem to have moe bass ;3 [but never by much] 

Still looking to get a Bravo v2 Hybrid Tube in the next 2 weeks to use at home :D looking forward to running my Dt 880 through an intro tube as opposed to my cMoy atm >.> [no worries better tubes and a DAC are on the way as well <3] 

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #1,173 of 1,845
other than the Bravo and Muse, there are just so many variations of 12au7/6n11 tube amps built and DIYed sold online.. China sells them tonnes.. locating and getting them shipped is the challenge.. my current one is from such, and as far as the result I am hearing, I think it is comparable to Bravo or Muse.. still, at 60+USD for either Bravo or Muse, I think is a balance of price/performance ratio and convenience.. :)

Pro versions have a tighter clamping force, which I suppose contribute to the slight increase of bass too..

yeah, I had the cMoy and it just in a different league compare to a 12au7 tube amp.. the gain output could not handle the 250ohm of my dt990pro, although I can't say if it will perform differently if I switch it to higher gain.. still, swapping the default Shuguang 12au7 to a NOS RCA Command 5814A, woah! that's no turning back until I am upgrading to a higher level tube amp!

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,175 of 1,845
Yes, that is the only difference, other than the 990 Pros using an old school exterior.

You have to remember, that they were only different by about $30-50 before. Paying extra for the nice aesthetics of the Premiums. Now... I have no idea why they skyrockted in price.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,176 of 1,845
Wow ok that's a HUGE price difference. The 990 Pro feels more affordable ... :-/

If I'm getting it for use in the office listening to music off a laptop, what would be a recommended (tube?) amp that's not too expensive? The recommendations like Darkvoice or Wu Audio look expensive.

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,177 of 1,845
Quote:
Wow ok that's a HUGE price difference. The 990 Pro feels more affordable ... :-/

If I'm getting it for use in the office listening to music off a laptop, what would be a recommended (tube?) amp that's not too expensive? The recommendations like Darkvoice or Wu Audio look expensive.

Just for reference, the 32 ohm Premium are only $218 through Amazon. 

I ended up with both the 990 250 pro and the 990 600-- going to test them with what I have on-hand now and again with a proper amp before deciding which goes back.  Even though the 250 is better suited to my uses, the 600 has the advantage of the straight cable, nicer looks, and the included carrying case.  The padding on the Pro headband seems more easily replaceable though.  Ordered both from Amazon warehouse and they arrived in perfect condition for cheaper than they were going for used on ebay.      

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,178 of 1,845
Quote:

I ended up with both the 990 250 pro and the 990 600-- going to test them with what I have on-hand now and again with a proper amp before deciding which goes back.  Even though the 250 is better suited to my uses, the 600 has the advantage of the straight cable, nicer looks, and the included carrying case.  The padding on the Pro headband seems more easily replaceable though.  Ordered both from Amazon warehouse and they arrived in perfect condition for cheaper than they were going for used on ebay.      

Ahh well I do like Carrying Cases, although my DT 880 Pro came with one so no biggie. But when I do get the Dt 990 Pro [and I will soon I hope] I should have a decent Head Phone Stand at my disposal. I'm actually thinking of using my Desk Drawer and hanging Hooks off of it, since atm the cans go inside the draw... ut's big enough to hold 3-4 maybe even 5 cans tbh

NOS RCA Command 5814A... THOSE ARE FREAKING EXPENSIVE MAN... good GREIF. $40 for some TUBES... my gawd bro that's almost as much as the Amp It self, although most people are selling them in Pairs to 2 :3, I did find one for like $20 but e.e Tube amps... oh my poor wallet!  

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #1,179 of 1,845
Quote:

Looking forward to your review!

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,180 of 1,845
Quote:
Yes, that is the only difference, other than the 990 Pros using an old school exterior.
You have to remember, that they were only different by about $30-50 before. Paying extra for the nice aesthetics of the Premiums. Now... I have no idea why they skyrockted in price.

I thought I like the Pros line better! despite them being plastic? weird for a supposedly "Pro" line.. well, pro vs premium.. hah.. tactics..

not sure if I will be getting the 600ohm ever? 250ohm is giving me surprises every now and then that I really love it.. still, love to hear from automaton's review too!

Mshenay, I bought the RCA Command from ebay store named Tube Maze.. Nikolay, the seller is very helpful for the tube recommendation.. he surely is one I would recommend too! yeah, the cost is almost the cost of my amp already, but am hearing its worth now.. .

for those interested, I posted the pics of my 12au7 amp I am using now with my dt990 pro which I got it from the chinese ebay site, taobao, here at another thread for the reply of another forumer: http://www.head-fi.org/t/443930/info-on-xiangsheng-dac-01/15#post_8866771

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,181 of 1,845
Icecap, I don't have the most trained ear for this stuff-- so far, driving them through inadequate sources, the 250 seem a little more harsh on the treble, and the 600 don't have that problem.  I am really curious to see what a proper amp will do, since they both sound fantastic running from my x-fi+e5.   

The 600 do seem to produce some noise when the cups move-- not sure if the aluminum makes this a problem in a way it's not with the 250 pro.  

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #1,182 of 1,845
Hi,

The CMOY is actually better than the Bravo if you have 250Ohm or over cans. It has a higher voltage swing while the Bravo has a lower voltage swing and is tuned for lower impedance headphones.

Quote:
... really then where is the TUBE IN IT... xD I have a cMoy my friend and well there's no tune in it :D
Yea I figured the Premiums would have a more balanced sound, I hear that ALOT of most Premium Byer cans lol. Pros All day xD they seem to have moe bass ;3 [but never by much] 

Still looking to get a Bravo v2 Hybrid Tube in the next 2 weeks to use at home :D looking forward to running my Dt 880 through an intro tube as opposed to my cMoy atm >.> [no worries better tubes and a DAC are on the way as well <3] 

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #1,183 of 1,845
I'm selling my 1 day old DT770 Anniversary Edition if anyone is interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636536/beyerdynamic-dt770-anniversary-edition-1-day-old

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #1,184 of 1,845
Hi guys.... I discovered this review only today....

I´m in doubt what beyer I would buy.... I use Headphone for gaming and wanna buy a Fiio E9 together with my new headphone. After read the review I was thinking on DT880 600ohm for gaming and movies.... occasionally some music...
What do you reccomend? 

It´s hard for me because I don´t know what´s is treble, bass, midrange and soundstage.
I think that for my use I need better soundstage, isn´t it?

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #1,185 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi guys.... I discovered this review only today....

I´m in doubt what beyer I would buy.... I use Headphone for gaming and wanna buy a Fiio E9 together with my new headphone. After read the review I was thinking on DT880 600ohm for gaming and movies.... occasionally some music...
What do you reccomend? 

It´s hard for me because I don´t know what´s is treble, bass, midrange and soundstage.
I think that for my use I need better soundstage, isn´t it?

Best choice would be DT990. But not 600 ohm, because E9 wont drive it properly. 250ohms instead. If you use it for gaming, best would be getting a soundcard like Asus Xonar ST, which will sound better than E9 (with music too), and it will have dolby headphone for games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back