Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #272 of 2,110
Quote:
Dont forget Bieber.

I think you mean " Try your hardest to NOT remember Bieber." 

On a more on topic note: Just auditioned these a couple days back, and I gotta say, some of the best headphones driven straight from my iPhone! Still gonna need more convincing if I wanna get a pair of Grados, especially after my Heir 8.A purchase...

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #273 of 2,110
Quote:
MarkM1, I understand the Schiit Asgard works very well with Grado's. I'm thinking about getting one myself.

That's what I ened up doing as well....after much reading and agonizing. I almost went w/ Little Dot 1+ which looked good, too. I'm thinking of a E17 to take care of a DAC and portable amp. But, am consiering a dedicatd DAC also.

Now, just have to wait for the Asgard!

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #274 of 2,110
I started this thread a few years back because I love the RS1i. I have just put that love to the test against some newer designs by other companies, all of which were fantastic (and I am not playing politics). It's amazing what is available now at all prices.  

So I tried a number of headphones to see what I wanted to live with: I tried the HIFIMAN HE-6, Audio Technica W-300ANV,  Beyerdynamic T1, Ultrasone ED8 and Sennheiser HD800 Momentum and Amperior (as i want more than 1 flavor i cannot afford to try any $1700, $2000 or $3000+ models). The weight of the LCD2 kept them out of the running after I couldn't deal with the HE-6 weight.      

I posted this in a T1 thread in response to a question as to why I was not keeping the T1:

I actually LOVE the T1's, but I still love Grado RS1i's with flat pads more for anything that rocks out a lot. I found on rock recordings where I liked the transparency/detail etc. of the T1, that the HD800 are superb in similar ways and deliver pretty much everything plus some sub bass that I got from the T1 (for those albums). For the other stuff there are more moments for me where the fact that the RS1i colors the sound works to my great benefit in that it renders lousy recordings enjoyable. And sometimes I simply want what to my ear is that grado goodness (so reminiscent of the sound I grew up on: 60's JBLs driven by a Fisher receiver w/telfunkens). So I decided to use the combination of the HD800 and the RS1i's, with an Amperior for moments that I need isolation or poratability, to see me through my 60's and allow me to revisit the 60's at the same time! In a perfect world I would be able to afford to keep all three (T1, HD800 and RS1i). I would also try the 2 and 3 thousand dollar cans which I am ignoring. I would also deliver world peace and contentment, especially to all the lil children.... 

I also found that the grado with bowls, which my stepson loves (he hates the flats), are way more like the sig of the T1's than the flats. I loaned my Senn HD580 to him and he also loved those, so I am convinced that when he comes around this week and tries the T1 he will want them over the RS1i w/bowls.They will give him what he likes in the 580 times 10, and they deliver SO much more refinement: transparency,soundstage, imaging which brings details out more than the RS1i that I am willing to bet lunch that his jaw is gonna drop. He can't afford 2 expensive cans, and the T1 is a KILLER all arounder! They almost make me able to forgo the Grados.

If I'm wrong - then I will buy him lunch and he gets to keep my RS1i's. I will then sell the T1 and buy an RS1i and the Amperior. Otherwise he gets the T1 and only has to buy me an amperior when he can (which means it'll be 8 weeks or so before I'd get those). This I can live with. Boy is he lucky that his stepsis only wants her Amperiors for now...

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #275 of 2,110
I've had Rs1is for several years before I began to branch out and get an LCD2 R1 & Beyer T1. For a time the Grados fell out of favor, until last night. I put a set of big cushions with vinyl tape around the upper/outer circumferance. Additionally, I trimed about a 1/4" off the top. I put on Quadrophina on sacd, and let it run. Wow. Now, not only were the phones comfortable again, but the bass response was there, and not at the sacrefice of the mids. I was even thinking of moving on from the Grados, but not anymore.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #276 of 2,110
Quote:
I actually LOVE the T1's, but I still love Grado RS1i's with flat pads more for anything that rocks out a lot. I found on rock recordings where I liked the transparency/detail etc. of the T1,

For the other stuff there are more moments for me where the fact that the RS1i colors the sound works to my great benefit in that it renders lousy recordings enjoyable.

and the T1 is a KILLER all arounder! They almost make me able to forgo the Grados.

+1

i ended up selling the rs1i and keeping the T1 though

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #279 of 2,110
One day I might add something like an LCD-2 to compliment my RS1i. I need something, in the far future, completely different tonally (dark vs bright) and although I would love to try a T1 the descriptions I've read are that they are too similar to justify having both. I would agree that the RS1i are very good at what they do an especially good are not completely ruining low bitrate music.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #280 of 2,110
In a couple of words, the tape improved the bass, the shortening of the cushions was an additional improvement to the bass as well as the midrange at the expense of a little soundstage, but not nearly as much as the flats, in my opinion.  I put 5965s instead of the 12ax7s in the amp to control the treble.  I do have to say that I cut them down by less than 1/4", probably 3/16".  I just experimented with pressing the cups in until I liked the sound, which ended up being about 3/16" closer to my ears.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #281 of 2,110
I love my RS-1i but I like the PS500s as well due to their level of detail and neutrality.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #282 of 2,110
Quote:
In a couple of words, the tape improved the bass, the shortening of the cushions was an additional improvement to the bass as well as the midrange at the expense of a little soundstage, but not nearly as much as the flats, in my opinion.  I put 5965s instead of the 12ax7s in the amp to control the treble.  I do have to say that I cut them down by less than 1/4", probably 3/16".  I just experimented with pressing the cups in until I liked the sound, which ended up being about 3/16" closer to my ears.

thanks much!
was this on the huge pads or the bowls that come with RS1i's? sorry , i just want to be sure i know where i'm starting from as i have a pair of each here.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #283 of 2,110
Quote:
thanks much!
was this on the huge pads or the bowls that come with RS1i's? sorry , i just want to be sure i know where i'm starting from as i have a pair of each here.

The big bowls that come standard on the GS & PS 1000.  I'd say, if you are going to try to modify them, be sure to trim a little at a time and try them till you like the sound.  You have to cut them, as I found sanding didn't do much.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #284 of 2,110
popcorn.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #285 of 2,110
Quote:
One day I might add something like an LCD-2 to compliment my RS1i. I need something, in the far future, completely different tonally (dark vs bright) and although I would love to try a T1 the descriptions I've read are that they are too similar to justify having both. I would agree that the RS1i are very good at what they do an especially good are not completely ruining low bitrate music.

I've been culling my headphone collection and soon will have only my RS-1, LCD-2 and Edition 8s for when I need closed headphones.  Out of these, the RS-1 actually get the most head time since they are my around-the-house phone.  Their sound is extremely gratifying and with the exception of the LCD-2, they have beat out about a dozen headphones that have come and gone chez moi.  My wife actually prefers the RS-1 to the LCD-2 and thinks I'm a nut for spending so much on them.  There's so much going on in the bass with the LCD-2, they will be a great complement.  They'll be your warm bath to complement the morning shower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back