Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Nov 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #244 of 2,110
In my book, I find them really special.

it was later on when I found out how good they were after my friend burned them in for 100++ hrs then the sound really opened up. no more bass bleed.. the upper mids finally tamed down .. it sounded open and that open airness really made me realize how good the air is especially each bass punch and the mids are transparent and has a very good timbre to it.. most of all they sound coherent to me.

now waiting to audition PS1000 :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #247 of 2,110
Quote:
The text is different, the cable is different, the gimbals are different, the rods can be different.

So, if I'm reading that correctly, it would be kind of different then.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #249 of 2,110
Quote:
The text is different, the cable is different, the gimbals are different, the rods can be different.

"So, if I'm reading that correctly, it would be kind of different then."

Correct, but not that different.
wink_face.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #250 of 2,110

Yeah. They are visually distinct, the gimbals and cable are the easiest things to pick out (the newer RS-1i has a much thicker cable, which is probably the first thing you'd notice). Unless you have a very old one that has pink drivers or a different color headband (other than black).

Whats a gimbal? 

The metal ring that holds the wooden air chamber part. On lesser Grados it is plastic and doesn't fully surround the air chamber part. Different generations of the RS-1 have different styles of gimbal (mostly related to how the rods connect and how the gimbal is cut to allow the cable by).

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #251 of 2,110
Quote:
In my book, I find them really special.

it was later on when I found out how good they were after my friend burned them in for 100++ hrs then the sound really opened up. no more bass bleed.. the upper mids finally tamed down .. it sounded open and that open airness really made me realize how good the air is especially each bass punch and the mids are transparent and has a very good timbre to it.. most of all they sound coherent to me.

now waiting to audition PS1000 :)

Be warned,  those PS1000s can be addictive, trust me, i know :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #252 of 2,110
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah. They are visually distinct, the gimbals and cable are the easiest things to pick out (the newer RS-1i has a much thicker cable, which is probably the first thing you'd notice). Unless you have a very old one that has pink drivers or a different color headband (other than black).
Quote:
Whats a gimbal? 

The metal ring that holds the wooden air chamber part. On lesser Grados it is plastic and doesn't fully surround the air chamber part. Different generations of the RS-1 have different styles of gimbal (mostly related to how the rods connect and how the gimbal is cut to allow the cable by).

Ohhh! Thanks! :D

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #253 of 2,110
Quote:

Be warned,  those PS1000s can be addictive, trust me, i know :)

just auditioned them 2 days ago on high end DIY amps...

I love them! very tall and wide soundstage and doesn't sound surround soundstage like on the hd800 but still very coherent..

it answered the shortcomings on the RS1i for me..

the bass is very deep but not prominent (at least in my book)..

it's the most widest soundstage i've heard yet.

they can be driven easily on my hdpr10-dx100 alone on high gain and it still doesn't sound confined despite directing it out on my source (too bad I forgot to test it on my clas>mk3 setup)

thanks!

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #254 of 2,110
Quote:

just auditioned them 2 days ago on high end DIY amps...

I love them! very tall and wide soundstage and doesn't sound surround soundstage like on the hd800 but still very coherent..

it answered the shortcomings on the RS1i for me..

the bass is very deep but not prominent (at least in my book)..

it's the most widest soundstage i've heard yet.

they can be driven easily on my hdpr10-dx100 alone on high gain and it still doesn't sound confined despite directing it out on my source (too bad I forgot to test it on my clas>mk3 setup)

thanks!

Shortcomings??? What shortcomings???

Honestly though I got the PS1000 a few days ago after using the RS1i :) I love them both... xD

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #255 of 2,110
Quote:

Shortcomings??? What shortcomings???

Honestly though I got the PS1000 a few days ago after using the RS1i :) I love them both... xD

just a tad more deep bass..

wider soundstage.. and breathing space on each instrument though the RS1i already has a good instrument separation for me but being exposed to flagship cans hehe sometimes left me desiring these on the RS1i but nevertheless, the RS1is are already very very good at their price range for me on presentation and everything.. very transparent. the PS1000 just gave me more listening bliss and is exactly the answer to some of my gripes then ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back