Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jun 8, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #61 of 2,110
Quote:
I still wonder how they compare to the flagships.  I might have to pick up a T1 or HD800 (was close to auditioning the PS1K) to see how high this high-end headphone bar goes.

I had the pleasure of listening to the HD800 on multiple high-end rigs at a meet a few months ago, and although the HD800 is quite neutral in pretty much all aspects (almost to a fault), it doesn't have that special punch and fun that the RS-1i has.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #62 of 2,110
I just received the RS1i I bought from a member here and I am not quite sure what to think. I am listening to  lossless metal/rock with a DacMagic. For an amp I have a Matrix M Stage SS amp and also a Woo Audio 3+. I tried both amps and the sound to me is very, very congested and the vocals are recessed. I also fiddle a lot with the volume going from song to song. The guitars are really overpowering sometimes as well. They can drown out the vocals and drums. I figured it would do well with the DacMagic and Matrix amp. Do I just need time to adjust to the Grado sound or is this it? I believe these headphones have less than 40 hours on them. Could that be the problem as well?

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #63 of 2,110

Quote:
I just received the RS1i I bought from a member here and I am not quite sure what to think. I am listening to  lossless metal/rock with a DacMagic. For an amp I have a Matrix M Stage SS amp and also a Woo Audio 3+. I tried both amps and the sound to me is very, very congested and the vocals are recessed. I also fiddle a lot with the volume going from song to song. The guitars are really overpowering sometimes as well. They can drown out the vocals and drums. I figured it would do well with the DacMagic and Matrix amp. Do I just need time to adjust to the Grado sound or is this it? I believe these headphones have less than 40 hours on them. Could that be the problem as well?

Have you heard any other Grado headphones?

The last thing I would use to describe them is that the vocals are recessed (the are actually coloured to be on the forward side). Yes guitars are overpowering (that would also be the mids-upper mids as they are quite forward). I did own a DacMagic and with my current MAD Ear+HD tube amp, they are amazing. They were also really good with my (now sold) RA1.

The sound stage is very compressed. Basically it puts you front row center...or on stage...and that is part of the classic Grado house sound, but nothing is congested. I would get about 100 hours on them first and then make your call.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #64 of 2,110

Quote:
Have you heard any other Grado headphones?

The last thing I would use to describe them is that the vocals are recessed (the are actually coloured to be on the forward side). Yes guitars are overpowering (that would also be the mids-upper mids as they are quite forward). I did own a DacMagic and with my current MAD Ear+HD tube amp, they are amazing. They were also really good with my (now sold) RA1.

The sound stage is very compressed. Basically it puts you front row center...or on stage...and that is part of the classic Grado house sound, but nothing is congested. I would get about 100 hours on them first and then make your call.

No I haven't heard any other Grados before. I figured I would just pick up a used pair and if I don't like it sell them. I notice some tracks sound a lot better than others. My unplugged Alice in chains and Nirvana is good. AC/DC is sounding better. An old Motley Crue cd I have sounds horrible lol. These came with the ttvj flat pads and so far I think all they do is make the music louder. I admit I am horrible on picking up on the differences in sound. Sometimes I think most of my equipment is wasted on my ears 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #65 of 2,110

Quote:
No I haven't heard any other Grados before. I figured I would just pick up a used pair and if I don't like it sell them. I notice some tracks sound a lot better than others. My unplugged Alice in chains and Nirvana is good. AC/DC is sounding better. An old Motley Crue cd I have sounds horrible lol. These came with the ttvj flat pads and so far I think all they do is make the music louder. I admit I am horrible on picking up on the differences in sound. Sometimes I think most of my equipment is wasted on my ears 
tongue_smile.gif

I would pick up a set of L-cushions. The TTVJ flats are fun and really increase the bass impact, but the sound stage really collapse's (might explain your congestion comment).

Link:
http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/grado-earpads-large-pair.php

For me, the RS1/RS1i's are among the best headphones for rock (I'm a huge AC/DC fan...they're in my top 5). The earpads above should help along with a little more burn in.

Cheers.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #66 of 2,110

Quote:
I would pick up a set of L-cushions. The TTVJ flats are fun and really increase the bass impact, but the sound stage really collapse's (might explain your congestion comment).

Link:
http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/grado-earpads-large-pair.php

For me, the RS1/RS1i's are among the best headphones for rock (I'm a huge AC/DC fan...they're in my top 5). The earpads above should help along with a little more burn in.

Cheers.

Thanks. These look like the pads that come stock with the RS1i. If that is the case I already have them. Mine were sold with both the stock and flat pads.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #67 of 2,110

Quote:
Thanks. These look like the pads that come stock with the RS1i. If that is the case I already have them. Mine were sold with both the stock and flat pads.

No problem. Give them a try, should open them up a bit. The flats are fun for a change, but I usually stick with the L-cushions.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #69 of 2,110
Does anyone EQ their RS1i? I found that putting it on the "Rock" setting in iTunes made the sound better to my ears. I also changed the gain on my Matrix amp from 10db back to 0 and that has seemed to help.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #70 of 2,110
Ok the RS1i is definitely growing on me. I did a lot of A/B comparisons with my other cans and it helped me appreciate what I am hearing with the Grados. Now I am looking at selling my Woo and trying the MAD Ear+HD. I think I am developing an addiction :wink:

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #71 of 2,110

Quote:
Ok the RS1i is definitely growing on me. I did a lot of A/B comparisons with my other cans and it helped me appreciate what I am hearing with the Grados. Now I am looking at selling my Woo and trying the MAD Ear+HD. I think I am developing an addiction :wink:

Isn't this place cursed?
very_evil_smiley.gif

The MAD Ear+HD is the best amp I've heard with the RS1/RS1i FWIW.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #72 of 2,110
I just want to update and say I love these phones now. I am actually using them with my Woo WA3+ now and it sounds a lot better than the Matrix. In fact I am now selling the WA3+ to get a MAD Ear + HD or Super II. Most likely the HD. 

I am going through all my rock/metal/acoustic albums and it's awesome. Only complaint would be ear pain after hours of use but I will live with it :)

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #75 of 2,110

It's an old headphone - people just aren't really motivated to post about it since it's pretty old news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back