Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Feb 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #31 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So here's my story, I recently sold my buttonless RS1s last week to help finance my new HD800s. Over this past weekend, I was listening to Rob Zombie's new album with my headphones, but couldn't help miss my RS1s.

Maybe I was a little too quick to sell them off. So long story short, my new RS1is (a demo pair from a well respected vendor) should hopefully arrive early next week.

As much as I love my T1s and HD800s, there is always a spot for these amazing cans! Too bad I had to sell of my old pair to realize this...but who said this hobby was cheap!

Good man! It goes to show how special the RS1s are when they have a place alongside the likes of the T1 and the HD800.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #32 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good man! It goes to show how special the RS1s are when they have a place alongside the likes of the T1 and the HD800.

Exactly my thoughts!

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #33 of 2,110
Just before the HD800's came out somebody posted a link to a review where the reviewer compared the RS1i, Denon D7000, and HD800. The reviewer selected the RS1i as the favorite.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #34 of 2,110
@donlin: If you can find a link to that review I'll be interested to read it =)

Anywho, I got my RS1i's as an open phone to complement my Pro900's and to find out about this whole grado hype was about. I figured I'd skip the meaningless upgrade process and go straight to the best which was the RS1. At first I was disappointed by them but after an 8 hour burn in, they opened up nicely giving me the clarity and detail I seeked which was a pleasant surprise. I have a millet hybrid max amp arriving sooner or later as well as a black jmoney headband to improve their sexiness.

These phones are the perfect complement to my Pro900's as they just sound like an open version with a slightly different sound signature which just puts me into audio bliss.

Once the millet max hybrid amp arrives I think upgraditus might finally slow down as my rig should have reached a level of temporary completeness which I'm hoping lasts for awhile.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #35 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just before the HD800's came out somebody posted a link to a review where the reviewer compared the RS1i, Denon D7000, and HD800. The reviewer selected the RS1i as the favorite.

I saw that article and while the RS1s are amazing headphones, I still think they are not quite up there with the beyer T1s and HD800s...but for rock/hard rock...they are certainly tough to beat!
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #36 of 2,110
Quote:

So here's my story, I recently sold my buttonless RS1s last week to help finance my new HD800s. Over this past weekend, I was listening to Rob Zombie's new album with my headphones, but couldn't help miss my RS1s.

Maybe I was a little too quick to sell them off. So long story short, my new RS1is (a demo pair from a well respected vendor) should hopefully arrive early next week.

As much as I love my T1s and HD800s, there is always a spot for these amazing cans! Too bad I had to sell of my old pair to realize this...but who said this hobby was cheap!

Sorry that was the case, MH, but I guess it just goes to bolster my enthusiasm in these awesome cans. I have indeed received them and they are in amazing shape. Thanks so much for the extra flats and L-cushions. Looks and sounds like I will have enough Grado gear to enjoy these beaut's for many years to come. Mucho positive feedback to follow!
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #37 of 2,110
Quote:

Off topic but Macedonian Hero, Just teasing but I predict your also going to buy AH-D7000 also that you sold. You're going to miss the Bass.
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #38 of 2,110
So I've got several hours of burn in on my new RS1i's and I think I prefer them to my now sold RS1 buttonless model. Not by much mind you, but I find the treble a little smoother and the sound stage is actually wider (from memory). The bass seems to go down just a touch deeper too. I guess the "i" does stand for improved!

I really love these headphones, even next to the beyer T1s and Senn HD800s they do keep up quite nicely.
smile.gif

They are great cans indeed!

On a side note, I'm still not missing the D7000s. I do appreciate them and think they are the best closed cans out there, but my Wesone 3s and Senn IE8s are right up there and isolate me from external sounds much better.

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #39 of 2,110
Over the weekend I was lucky enough to nab a near-new pair of RS-1i for a great price.

In the past I've been irked by both the sound and price of the RS-1 series. There seemed to be a mid-bass hump that rises out of the sound like a sore thumb, and it always turned me off from listening.

But I figured I should give the RS-1i a try before I write off the RS-1 series forever. In anticipation of having the RS-1i arrive, I also ordered two arguably overpriced items: a Woo Audio headphone stand, and the TTVJ Grado flats.
smile.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #41 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You upsold yourself.
tongue_smile.gif

lol well I'm still paying for it...been working my tail off the past two weeks in anticipation of the credit card debt.

I'll definitely be posting my impressions here once I receive them.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #42 of 2,110
I have found the RSA Raptor to be a perfect match with the RS1. It's become my favorite combination these days, especially for rock.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #43 of 2,110
Well, I finally got the RS-1i! With flat pads (the bowls were a bit too bright for me), these are great headphones. Finally, there's some weight in the low-end and control in the mids and some of the highs.

Perhaps the time with the Monster Turbine Pro Golds helped me with my disgust of mid-bass bloat, or there simply is very little of it to begin with here.
tongue.gif

And although the seller failed to disclose a few odd cosmetic laws with the headphones, in a way I'm glad it turned out like this. If I got a perfect pair of RS-1i, I would forever be obsessive about keeping it in perfect condition.
redface.gif

EDIT: Has anybody else noticed on their RS-1i that the serial number is lightly scratched in the inside of the "L" and "R" blocks?

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #44 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Has anybody else noticed on their RS-1i that the serial number is lightly scratched in the inside of the "L" and "R" blocks?

Yes. The serial # is etched inside the L and R blocks as well as written on the bottom of the cups under the pads.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #45 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perhaps the time with the Monster Turbine Pro Golds helped me with my disgust of mid-bass bloat, or there simply is very little of it to begin with here.
tongue.gif

Being a former RS1 owner and current RS1i owner, it does seem that the mid bass bloat is not as prominent with the "i" version. But both are simply amazing for rock and jazz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back