Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,351 of 2,110
Oh!, and by the way, I get scared too sometime, so I swich headphones, and so far (knock wood) it's always been in the recordings.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,352 of 2,110
[quote name="Loving[MAX]Sound" url="/t/444439/grado-rs1i-impressions-thread/1335#post_10768559"]
Ha! nice :). I had an epic scare yesterday while I was listening to "Bonobo - Kong" yesterday, I noticed a low frequency grattle in my RS1i's, anyway, I am listening to the same track right now with the SR125i's, and getting the same grattle, I think it is a poor file. Good to know it is not an issue with the RS1!!
[/quote]The umm ah seemingly very simple construction of the Grado RS1's are damn near fool proof. I would think that a construction flaw in Grado hp's would present itself almost immediately. All I know is that the more I listen to mine the better they get.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,353 of 2,110
Oupss! I said LC, but my post was for LovingMAXsound, you prefer L-cush, on the GS/PS1000?

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,354 of 2,110
  Oupss! I said LC, but my post was for LovingMAXsound, you prefer L-cush, on the GS/PS1000?

I tried it once on my GS1000's, it was ok, I favoured the instrument separation to the bass increase so I stick with G-cush. They sounded almost similar to the PS500, that being said, the sound was not as analytical as it is with the stock configuration of the PS500.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,355 of 2,110
The umm ah seemingly very simple construction of the Grado RS1's are damn near fool proof. I would think that a construction flaw in Grado hp's would present itself almost immediately. All I know is that the more I listen to mine the better they get.

You would think that such a simple design is fool proof, but have you heard of the issues people are having with the new e series? Poor build quality, and almost as if there was no QC after assembly? I am not getting on anyone's case here, but when it comes to an 800$ pair of headphones, you almost start expecting more than just good headphones, you expect your ear wax to contain traces of gold and platinum :wink:

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,356 of 2,110
Oupss! sorry!, the post about the L-cush on every Grado, even the GS/PS1000, was for LovingMAXsound,

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,358 of 2,110
I’ve tried the L cush on both the ps1000 and gs1000. not a fan. the bass is tuned for the bigger pads and extra space between driver and ear. putting on the small pads makes the bass incredibly overbearing on those models.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,359 of 2,110
You would think that such a simple design is fool proof, but have you heard of the issues people are having with the new e series? Poor build quality, and almost as if there was no QC after assembly? I am not getting on anyone's case here, but when it comes to an 800$ pair of headphones, you almost start expecting more than just good headphones, you expect your ear wax to contain traces of gold and platinum :wink:
Yeah, one would think at such an exorbitant price point, for me at least, that there would be fewer QC issues. But I've said before that early runs of new product are fraught with what the British call "niggles". Besides, Grado's are hand assembled, so they say. What do you expect? For those who can't audition and inspect their new hp's, like I was able to do, its worth a phone call, even one that's long long distance, to ask the seller to make sure that the hp's are in "perfect" working order. Maybe even ask the seller to send some pics via email. FIY, I stash my diamonds and gold dust in my...

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,361 of 2,110
Yeah, one would think at such an exorbitant price point, for me at least, that there would be fewer QC issues. But I've said before that early runs of new product are fraught with what the British call "niggles". Besides, Grado's are hand assembled, so they say. What do you expect? For those who can't audition and inspect their new hp's, like I was able to do, its worth a phone call, even one that's long long distance, to ask the seller to make sure that the hp's are in "perfect" working order. Maybe even ask the seller to send some pics via email. FIY, I stash my diamonds and gold dust in my...

Good points and good advice. Not only does Grado have to keep up with "new product" demand, but they have to fulfill dealer's orders looking to fill their recently-depleted inventories. I would imagine the Grado production department is feeling the heat at the moment.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,362 of 2,110
Arghh! disregard the 2nd post LovingMAXsound, I thought it didn't get posted, I didn't noticed, that the page had changed.

But while I'm here, I agree with you 100%, I mean we can't blame everything on the fact that they're assembled by hand, headphones that are or even look dirty shouldn't make it pass the guide dogs at final inspection.

I remember back in 2006 wneh I bought my GS1000, a few days after I got them home, a friend of mine came to visit, and I was proudly showing him my latest aquisition, and he pointed out to me that they're was a 1/2 inch scratch on the back of the right cup.

Long story short,well sort of, two days later Grado's rep for my neck of the woods, brought two pairs of new GS1000 and met me at the store, finally, my salesman and I, came to the conclusion that I was better off keeping the pair that I already had because the ''new'' pair's had more apparent dings and scatches.

The rep was trying to justsify this by saying that Grado is a small familly oriented company that assembles it's headphones by hand Blah! Blah!. So I asked him, do you agree that a $1100 pair of headphones, is about the equivalent of a $100 000 car, say a Mercedes S Class, he agreed, then I said, well a1/2 scratch on something as small as this, pointing to the back of the right cup, is equivalent of a 6 inch scratch on a big car like the S Class. Now, how would you feel if you noticed such a scratch when you took delivery of your new $100 000 S Class, and the salesman started doing ice scating figures, to justify that 6 inch scratch?.  

I then told him that he should use is energy to call Grado's headquarters, and tell whoever's in charge of Q.C, that you're tyred of taking heat from P.O, clients who rightfully complain about the poor quality control.

He managed to have the last word, because said that he wouldn't bring any more GS1000 to the store for me to choose from, he also offered to give me a full refund on the pair that I already had. I was checkmate, I liked the headphones too much not to have them, so I learned to live with this damn! sctratch, and try never to look to closely at the ones that followed.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,363 of 2,110

L[M]S, I really like the g-cushions with the RS1's. With my WA6 I do have to turn the volume up to about 2 o'clock to get the same impact as when I use the "L's". With good recordings I get the same bass but better instrument separation. All I know is that my ears like it. With certain cuts it's kinda trippy man!

Ha! nice :). I had an epic scare yesterday while I was listening to "Bonobo - Kong" yesterday, I noticed a low frequency grattle in my RS1i's, anyway, I am listening to the same track right now with the SR125i's, and getting the same grattle, I think it is a poor file. Good to know it is not an issue with the RS1!!

Those RS1i's must have thousands upon thousands of hours on them  
biggrin.gif

They have avoided grattle for lots and lots and lots of hours!!!

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #1,364 of 2,110

Those RS1i's must have thousands upon thousands of hours on them  
biggrin.gif

They have avoided grattle for lots and lots and lots of hours!!!

I would not assume you would sell me a grattly pair of RS1i's :wink:

At least I was able to confirm it was the track and not the cans. :D

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #1,365 of 2,110
  Arghh! disregard the 2nd post LovingMAXsound, I thought it didn't get posted, I didn't noticed, that the page had changed.

But while I'm here, I agree with you 100%, I mean we can't blame everything on the fact that they're assembled by hand, headphones that are or even look dirty shouldn't make it pass the guide dogs at final inspection.

I remember back in 2006 wneh I bought my GS1000, a few days after I got them home, a friend of mine came to visit, and I was proudly showing him my latest aquisition, and he pointed out to me that they're was a 1/2 inch scratch on the back of the right cup.

Long story short,well sort of, two days later Grado's rep for my neck of the woods, brought two pairs of new GS1000 and met me at the store, finally, my salesman and I, came to the conclusion that I was better off keeping the pair that I already had because the ''new'' pair's had more apparent dings and scatches.

The rep was trying to justsify this by saying that Grado is a small familly oriented company that assembles it's headphones by hand Blah! Blah!. So I asked him, do you agree that a $1100 pair of headphones, is about the equivalent of a $100 000 car, say a Mercedes S Class, he agreed, then I said, well a1/2 scratch on something as small as this, pointing to the back of the right cup, is equivalent of a 6 inch scratch on a big car like the S Class. Now, how would you feel if you noticed such a scratch when you took delivery of your new $100 000 S Class, and the salesman started doing ice scating figures, to justify that 6 inch scratch?.  

I then told him that he should use is energy to call Grado's headquarters, and tell whoever's in charge of Q.C, that you're tyred of taking heat from P.O, clients who rightfully complain about the poor quality control.

He managed to have the last word, because said that he wouldn't bring any more GS1000 to the store for me to choose from, he also offered to give me a full refund on the pair that I already had. I was checkmate, I liked the headphones too much not to have them, so I learned to live with this damn! sctratch, and try never to look to closely at the ones that followed.

What store was this, in Montreal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back